Rhode Island Nesties

nursery on different floor from master bedroom?

Does anyone, or did anyone, here have your baby's nursery on a different floor of your house from your bedroom? If so, did baby sleep in your room at first? For how long? 

Benjamin is currently sleeping in the pack n play in our room. He's 4 weeks old. I am considering trying to transition him to his crib but I'm freaking out about it because I am nervous about having him on a separate floor. He isn't sleeping through the night yet, so if he woke I would have to go up there, but that would be the case no matter when he transitions up.

I am also concerned that if I put him up there, I would run up at every little sound. Whereas now, I know his still asleep grunts (he is a SUPER noisy sleeper) and the sounds he makes when he is about to wake. But if I have to check on him I can just pop up, turn on the light and get back in bed. That said I am considering sleeping in the guest room at first when we first put him upstairs, so I would still kind of be right there. I just feel like if we put him in his room, we'll all get a better night sleep, even with waking up if necessary.

Not sure what to do. Anyone been in this situation and have any words of wisdom? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Vacation

Re: nursery on different floor from master bedroom?

• Norah is still in our room, but she's not a noisy sleeper. Jordan was out of our room before she was a month old b/c she was so loud! We were all on the same floor though.

I found when we moved her, I didn't get up as much b/c I knew the noises and it made me take a minute to listen to them and identify the situation before I got up. I think we all slept better once she was gone.

Sleeping in the guest room for a few nights would be great to ease your mind and get you used to hearing him on the monitor instead of at your side, kwim?

we.hate.this.
    imageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers bloggity blog: http://belleandthebabe.blogspot.com/Oct Angel Babies
  • I'm in the same situation.  DS slept with us until he was 3+ months old.  I was going back to work, and it was just easier to have him in our room when he got up at night.  First he was in the bassinet, then the pack and play. 

He's now in his room.  We also have a bed in his room, so for the first night or two I slept in there with him.  Now he's on his own! 

We got a video monitor for his room - and I highly recommend getting one!  At first I thought it was a little overboard, but it's nice to be able to hear and see him, and not have to run upstairs just to check on him all the time.  A friend also said that their kid learned to cry, and would listen for their footsteps when they were checking on her, so hopefully we'll avoid that little game as he gets older!

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

• P went to her own room around 2.5 months i think.  I was so not ready but DH just put her in there.  Granted she is on the same floor and next door to our room but i also highly recommend a video monitor.  if you open the door to check on them they will see you and want to get up as they get older.  This also helped later on when we were getting her to sleep through the night and she was crying.
    Chef Paige Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD & DS are on a different floor than us.  We have a Cape.. but ours has 2 beds on the main floor with a huge master bedroom on the 2nd.  I have never had either child sleep in the room with us.. its always been my preference. I would be awake all night making sure they are okay.  As soon as they came home they went right to crib. 

I don't mind them being on a seperate floor.. although a lot of other people did in the begining.... but F 'em.  Anyway, I am a light sleeper, so the slightest peep I'm up.  You will get comfortable with it.  I did.  You will get to know the different cries... that way you don't have to get up every.single.time. It was a bit of a PIA going down the stairs everytime they needed to eat, but now I wouldn't change a thing.  I swear my kids sleep well b/c they have only slept in their own beds. 

I agree with PP- get a video monitor.  I still have one for Ben, and Alaina has a plain ole monitor.  You can probably find a cheaper one on Craigslist.

• image plammy1677:

DD & DS are on a different floor than us.  We have a Cape.. but ours has 2 beds on the main floor with a huge master bedroom on the 2nd.  I have never had either child sleep in the room with us.. its always been my preference. I would be awake all night making sure they are okay.  As soon as they came home they went right to crib. 

I don't mind them being on a seperate floor.. although a lot of other people did in the begining.... but F 'em.  Anyway, I am a light sleeper, so the slightest peep I'm up.  You will get comfortable with it.  I did.  You will get to know the different cries... that way you don't have to get up every.single.time. It was a bit of a PIA going down the stairs everytime they needed to eat, but now I wouldn't change a thing.  I swear my kids sleep well b/c they have only slept in their own beds. 

I agree with PP- get a video monitor.  I still have one for Ben, and Alaina has a plain ole monitor.  You can probably find a cheaper one on Craigslist.

This is totally me as well. I'm learning his sounds so when he does wake me up, I'm able to tune him out and go back to sleep if he isn't actually waking. But...I'm still waking up. I've looked stoned for about a week because my eyes are so bloodshot from the lack of sleep catching up with me. :o 

I really think we'll try to transition him this weekend, and I'll definitely check craigslist for a video monitor! I didn't even think of that. All of DH's coworkers also recommended video monitors. When we were registering we thought they were ridiculous, but now I'm changing my mind.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Vacation

• Our nursery is right across the hall but C was still in our room for 5.5 months! I found I slept better with her right next to the bed. I still wake up with every sound over the monitor but I have to creep into her room to get peace of mind... then risk waking her up (if she's not awake) in the process. With her next to us I could just peek over, make sure she was still breathing, and go back to sleep.

And I was worried that having her in there so long would make the transition harder but it was just fine. Good luck!

• PS - Our monitor is the SUmmer Infant Slim and Secure.  We love it. 
  • I didn't have this problem but I would feel safer with them being on the 2nd floor and you on the first rather than the other way around. 

Ella was so loud that we put her in her crib in her room at 5 wks.  I had the Angel Care monitor.  

Nicole

Mommy to Ella Grace 6/4/05
    image" width=250>

Birthday
  • image plammy1677:

This, all of it.  When we move, he'll be on the other end of the house from us.  Get a VM.  I wish we did, and if I find one cheap enough I want to get one for when he transitions.  It would just be easier to SEE then hear.