Money Matters

SMMR: Question about BPA free bottles

How long ago did they start making baby bottles BPA free?  I got a bunch of hand me downs from my sister (and some may have been hand me downs to her) and I don't know if I should keep them or just get new ones.

Obviously the playtex drop-in holders are okay since they don't actually touch the milk, but there are 10 medela 4oz bottles and 2 advent 8oz wide mouth bottles that would be nice to not have to rebuy.

ETA: If my sister bought them new, they at most 3 years old.

Re: SMMR: Question about BPA free bottles

• There is a shocking amount of baby products still on the shelves with BPA. I wouldn't use even the drop-ins.

Just get new stuff--it's not worth the worry & risk.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure the drop ins were always bpa free.  They are not made of the hard clear plastic like the avent bottles and others were.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Late 2008/early 2009 they started coming out of everything. All of my bottles were BPA bottles, and my kid was born in Oct. 2008. SOME didn't have it before that anyway (Medela) and some were available in both varieties, but all of our Dr. Brown bottles, Avent bottles, Soothie, and Playtex bottles had BPA in them, so they went in the trash. 
  • image jenny1980:

There is a shocking amount of baby products still on the shelves with BPA. I wouldn't use even the drop-ins.

Ditto.  I use glass -- plasticizers in general are no good. 

• image BarefootContess:

Ditto.  I use glass -- plasticizers in general are no good. 

I thought about it, but I've read in various places that glass isn't recommended for breastmilk because some of the good stuff clings to the glass more than the plastic so the baby doesn't get the full benefit.  I'm not sure how to weigh those two concerns.
  • image jenny1980:

There is a shocking amount of baby products still on the shelves with BPA. I wouldn't use even the drop-ins.

The drop-in liners say BPA free and the only other part of the bottle the milk touches is the nipple which will be as well.  I obviously threw out all the liners she gave me because they weren't sealed anymore.
  • I read somewhere that Medela bottles have never had BPA in them. I would call Medela customer service and ask before you throw them out. They have great customer service in general.

I don't know about avent, but you could try calling them, too. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • NSLNSL
    Eighth Anniversary
    The big switchover happened in mid-2008 (I remember it well because it was just before my first switched over to cow's milk and a sippy, but we exchanged all of his bottles anyway) so you can ask your SIL if she bought the bottles before then or if she did the exchange that most baby stores were offering when the BPA studies started coming out. 
    28/100
    LittleL 8/10/07
    Baby E 11/27/10

Check out my makeup and reading blog:
    Books and Beauty
  • If you are concerned about BPA I would just get new ones. Avent in particular were one of the brands known to have BPA (I imagine most did or do). Bottles really aren't that expensive, so it is worth the peace of mind. I used glass bottles with BM and they were fine. We never broke one, but I did put silicone bumpers on them. Our daycare would not allow glass, so I sent the BPA free plastic there. I never heard about breastmilk being adversely affected by the glass bottles, but I can't imagine it is worse than BPA.
  • image gtown_bride:

I read somewhere that Medela bottles have never had BPA in them. I would call Medela customer service and ask before you throw them out. They have great customer service in general.

I don't know about avent, but you could try calling them, too. 

The older Avent bottles definitely had BPA in them. The newer ones don't but on their site they say the way to know is that it is "clearly" marked on their packaging. 

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/avent-baby-bottle-feeding/11717/cat/

Their FAQ makes me giggle a bit, a lot of the answers seem kind of passive-aggressive. 

• From the Philips Advent FAQ:

What are Philips AVENT?s BPA-free bottles made from? ? Poylethersulphone ? commonly called PES. A BPA-free plastic with a honey color.

I was wondering why the ones I had were off-colored.  Apparently, that means they are ok.

• It was about 3-4 years ago.  They weren't prevalent when I had my DS and it was all the rage when I had my DD.  I switched to drop ins with her, they're super easy and you don't need a ton of bottles - they also worked really well for BFing and pumped bottles for us.  I pumped into cheapy Gerber bottles that have always been BPA free and fit Medela and Ameda pumps.  It was super easy and MM.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Oh ok, so if you are sure you have the BPA free ones, and it sounds like you do, then might as well use them!