Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How much would you pay for a nice bedroom set?

I've been wanting a "real" bedroom set ever since we got the house a year and a half ago. DH doesn't care much. I've been scouring Craigslist, but there's never anything good on there it seems. We've started looking at new bedroom sets from the local furniture stores and the prices are so high! So how much would you be willing to pay for a nice master bedroom set?
[Poll]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My two favorite cats!
Anniversary

Re: How much would you pay for a nice bedroom set?

• Ours was ~$1600 for a Queen Sleigh bed (just the frame - already had the mattress/boxspring which were ~$800), nightstand, dresser/mirror and chest of drawers.  It's all solid wood (cherry) and I would consider it decent quality, but not high end at all.

We're looking to upgrade to a king bed and will probably look for something that matches the rest of the pieces. 

• Do you have a Value City near you? We got our living room, dining room and bedroom furniture there and it's pretty good quality.  We get compliments on it all the time.

Their bedroom set included the bed and a dresser with a mirror.  We bought 2 nightstands for an extra $100 each as well as a mattress and box spring.  It was probably around $2k.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I said up to $1k, but I'm lying.  I couldn't find the bed I wanted, so I had my parents custom make it.  I don't like the way most commercial furniture is made, so I'm probably never going to own a matched set.  I'll have a combination of custom hand made and antique scrounged from here and there.
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • I really dislike bedroom "sets". Find a bed that you love and then slowly build around it. Maybe match the nightstands together, but, beyond that, matchy sets are just not great. You'll have spent all this money and will be sick of everything in a few years.
  • A lot. I like quality furniture that is going to last.
  • We rarely buy furniture new....I have found you just can't get quality at an affordable price.  To get reallllly good quality furniture, ie. solid wood, dovetail joinery, handmade it usually costs a small fortune.  We buy mostly antiques (well not true antiques, mostly 20th century stuff).  Yes, some antiques are ridiculously expensive, as much as the good quality stuff I just talked about.  However, we have easily been able to find good stuff at local antique malls, thrift stores, estate sales, etc which is very affordable.  Eg. solid wood chest for $135, solid wood dining table with leaves big enough to seat 10 people for $150, large 6 drawer dresser for $165, pair of upholstered nailhead chairs for $100 (for the pair), etc.  We def. do not have an "antiquey" decor, I doubt most people would instantly know that most of our furniture is antique. 

Just something else to consider...I just think you get much better quality for a fraction of what you pay for lower quality, veneered, cheaply-made-in-China stuff you see most places today.

• image shopgirl_07:
    I really dislike bedroom "sets". Find a bed that you love and then slowly build around it. Maybe match the nightstands together, but, beyond that, matchy sets are just not great. You'll have spent all this money and will be sick of everything in a few years.

This. I'd buy one or two pieces at a time. The matchy sets are so "matchy" and uniform, and it seems like some of the pieces are never as nice or well-loved as the other pieces that draw you to the set. You might prefer to keep the same wood tone, but that should be easy to accomplish.

I voted pretty high, but I'll be holding out for a nice set for a long time, not happening any time soon :)

• We paid about $4500 for our set which has everything you asked but one nightstand (we could only fit one in our room).  A second nightstand would have brought it up to around $5k.  Our set is what I'd call "neo-shaker" style and is solid cherry wood. 

We looked for a long, long time for bedroom furniture that we loved.  The price seems astronomical but we don't intend to replace the set for at least two decades.  The set it replaced was my childhood bedroom set which I had since I was 7 (it was a queen size); DH and I wanted a king size.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're looking for a king set and I'm thinking we may take the route of finding one of two items at a time... There really is no need to match exactly. I do agree that most furniture made today is very low quality. We found a nice solid wood set that is made in the USA for ~$3300, but it still seems like so much! Link
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My two favorite cats!
    Anniversary
  • For the purpose of this poll I think it's safe to assume that by "bedroom set" we don't actually have to mean a matching set all of one particular brand.  It can include the bed you found on an Amish farm, the dresser you picked up at a local flea market and the night stands from Pottery Barn.
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • We have a beautiful set that we bought from Thomasville Furniture.  It's a King bed headboard, 2 nightstands, dresser w/mirror and tall chest w/drawers it cost us $5000 and that was about 10 years ago.  It was the top of the line furniture back then, I haven't shopped furniture in a while so not sure if Thomasville is still top of the line or not.
  • We spent 2K for our set from Ashley Furniture, it's queen.  We hope it's the only one we ever buy.
  • Last set was around 2k.  I am sure in another few years we will need an upgrade.  Stuff is not made to last forever. 
  • image riderpunk:
    Last set was around 2k.  I am sure in another few years we will need an upgrade.  Stuff is not made to last forever. 

Well, it can be (obviously not forever, but at least a lifetime).  That was my point.  If you buy quality it can easily last decades and probably more than your lifetime.  I have a gorgeous solid wood vanity with triple mirror that was handmade in the early 1900s for my greatgrandmother.  I had it refinished about 5 years ago and restained and it looks perfect despite being almost 100 years old.  I cannot imagine paying $2k for something I thought would need replacing in a few years.  I mean we have ikea furniture that has lasted longer than that and was much, much cheaper.

• I really dislike the look of matched bedroom sets so I would only take a matchy-matchy set if it were free.  At least right now I do.  Who knows, maybe they'll be trendy again in 10 years and I'll be all over it.
  • image kchick:

image riderpunk:
    Last set was around 2k.  I am sure in another few years we will need an upgrade.  Stuff is not made to last forever. 

Well, it can be (obviously not forever, but at least a lifetime).  That was my point.  If you buy quality it can easily last decades and probably more than your lifetime.  I have a gorgeous solid wood vanity with triple mirror that was handmade in the early 1900s for my greatgrandmother.  I had it refinished about 5 years ago and restained and it looks perfect despite being almost 100 years old.  I cannot imagine paying $2k for something I thought would need replacing in a few years.  I mean we have ikea furniture that has lasted longer than that and was much, much cheaper.

Really depends on your wear I feel.  We spent a good amount on our last 2 sets, the frames just gave out.  They don't make things the way they used to with real wood.  Next time we will make sure we have a larger budget or make the set ourselves with a real frame.  My parents have a great set they bought in the 70's for around 4k from Ethan Allen and it has lasted the test of time.  I will probably go that route next time. 

• No SS? :)

I feel like bedroom "sets" have somewhat gone out of style. We have a platform bed from CB2, acrylic nightstands from Overstock (originally from Design Within Reach), and a dresser I refinished from Craigslist. Total cost was under $800 at least. Definitely wouldn't spend more than 2 grand on everything, but I don't like "matchy matchy" either.