Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cat litter question

We've used Tidy Cats scoopable litter since we first got the cats.  DH isn't a fan of the cats, but what I think he hates the most is the dust from the cat litter.  I thought about slowly switching to the crystals, hoping to cut down on the dust.

What does everyone else use?  Any recommendations?   

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cat litter question

• We use Cat Attract now, because one of our girls had a UTI and then subsequent litter box problems even once her UTI cleared up.  We've only had a couple of accidents, but that was more on us forgetting to clean it than them.

Before that, we used Arm & Hammer and I loved it.  People would tell me that unless they saw the cats, they wouldn't know we had them.  Given that we lived in apartment with 2 cats, this was a nice compliment.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use Arm & Hammer and are very pleased with it. We tried Tidy Cats (hated it), the Petco brand (only because I got a discount), and the Fresh Step.

Funny story: We tried Yesterday's News for a while. We liked it, the cats liked it - winner, right? Well, Napoleon got confused and started peeing on anything newspaper related, which sucks because I teach high school journalism and diligently recycle paper, so there are always newspapers around our house.

After he ruined a third box of recycling, we gave up and moved to Arm & Hammer.

• image chi_lyn:

We use Arm & Hammer and are very pleased with it. We tried Tidy Cats (hated it), the Petco brand (only because I got a discount), and the Fresh Step.

Funny story: We tried Yesterday's News for a while. We liked it, the cats liked it - winner, right? Well, Napoleon got confused and started peeing on anything newspaper related, which sucks because I teach high school journalism and diligently recycle paper, so there are always newspapers around our house.

After he ruined a third box of recycling, we gave up and moved to Arm & Hammer.

Bwahaha.

B loves newspaper, but mostly he tries to eat it or sleep on it.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used World's Best Multi Cat Litter. I love it and have not noticed a bunch of dust or litter being tracked. When we lived in our apartment the litter box was in the bathroom and World's Best is flushable-it was SO nice!
    image image
  • We use EverClean.  I've tried Tidy Cats, Arm & Hammer, Feline Pine, etc.  I think the EverClean does wonders at controlling odor.  It's not that dusty and since we use the unscented it doesn't have a strong or perfumed odor at all.  It's pricier than many of the other options, but our pet store discounts it down to ~$10/box every few months and I stock up.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've used crystals in the past and liked them. They helped with the smell and the dust. They're more painful to step on in bare feet than regular litter, though. :-P We use Tidy Cats scoopable now, but we also have a cat who's fairly litter sensitive and I'm not sure he'd use the crystal litter. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I also like the Arm & Hammer. I think Tidy Cats is the only other one I tried though and I wasn't a big fan.

LOL chi at the newspaper story! 

imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers