Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What is worth it?

Obviously I love make up and fashion, but I was curious as to what is worth it to you...like what determines how much you are willing to spend. Personally I would not spend $100 on a tank top, but someone else would. What is the thought process behind that? Is it just the label, or the quality? Whats wrong with a forty dollar purse from target. Why spend a thousand on one? I know when I see something I really want but is expensive I have an eternal struggle. Should this money go into retirement/savings instead of on a material I am just curious as to what others think.

Re: What is worth it?

• For me, retirement/investments/savings/emergency fund/education (if you have children) is where the money should go first (unless you have debt, but it depends on the type of debt such as a mortgage [good] versus credit card [bad] debt).  Always pay yourself first.  Once you have all that taken of, then you are free to spend (or not spend) the discretionary funds as you see fit, whether it's on an expensive purse or a nice week-long vacation.

• Well I guess it just depends.  

I already contribute to my 401k for my retirement.  So beyond putting money into DS's savings account and bills, why not spend the money that's leftover on the things we want?  I don't usually blow money on clothes.  I'll usually buy stuff from the outlets or from Target but every once in a while I will splurge on an expensive purse since I usually only buy one every couple of years.  So the price/use ratio breaks down to being worth it for me.  I am also hard on my shoes and purses so the higher price stuff usually lasts me much longer than a $25 item.  Plus, I also have funky feet and have to buy orthopedic friendly shoes and those usually cost some $$$ if I don't want my feet to kill me and to prevent possible surgery down the road.  To each their own I suppose.   

• I think fashion/beauty spending is a choice/preference for each individual. I prefer to buy shirts and jeans from Nordstrom because the items I have from there are much higher quality and look better season after season. When I bought jeans from Old Navy or Gap even, they would get holes and look worn after one year; and I have Paige Denim jeans and Citizens of Humanity jeans for 3+ years that still look great. If you think of it that way and do the math, its actually more cost effective in my case to buy the nicer brands. They flatter me, and I feel good when I wear them. I don't care where anyone else buys their clothes. I admire women's clothing who shop at Kohl's and target, and even have a few favorite items from there. 

Often the more expensive brands are better quality, but sometimes cheap ones are just as good. For example, I used to spend $22 on mascara from Sephora until I discovered CG Lash Blast for $13 for a 3 pack at Costco. Now that's all I use. So to answer your question: I think we sometimes splurge for the superior quality and to make ourselves feel/look good.  And when you're a working mom making it in this overly critical and stressful world, enhanced self esteem and pampering is priceless in my opinion!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will shell out more for things I know I'll get a lot of mileage from.  For example, a $40 purse from Target probably isn't going to be leather, it will be PVC or fabric, and I don't think a bag made from those materials is worth $40.  However I'd be willing to spend $1000 on a leather bag that will last me 10yrs or longer.

I give myself a "fun money" allowance after all my bills are paid and my savings and retirement are funded, so that is a non-issue for me.  If I didn't have the money for those things, I wouldn't be buying any type of F&B items.  If I want something that exceeds my allowance, then I save it up until I have enough.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • It really does depend. I will wear a $5 Target tank with $$ jeans. I buy what fits and makes me feel good about myself. I have gotten to a point where I would rather have a few nicer classic things than a bunch of cheap stuff. Yes, I spent $150 on a pair of shoes but I only bought one and wore them all the time instead of 3 or 4 cheaper pairs that I rarely wear. I have spent alot on a pair of boots but have worn them for 3 years and they still look good. But I buy $1 ELF cosmetic brushes and drugstore mascara. I wanted skinny jeans and bought a $15 pair at Target because I don't wear them alot.

I always wait for a sale and stalk the items that I want. Bigger ticket items, I ask for as gifts from my DH or parents. I don't feel guilty and if we couldn't afford it, I wouldn't buy it.

• image mavjen:

For me, retirement/investments/savings/emergency fund/education (if you have children) is where the money should go first (unless you have debt, but it depends on the type of debt such as a mortgage [good] versus credit card [bad] debt).  Always pay yourself first.  Once you have all that taken of, then you are free to spend (or not spend) the discretionary funds as you see fit, whether it's on an expensive purse or a nice week-long vacation.

this exactly.

• image mavjen:

For me, retirement/investments/savings/emergency fund/education (if you have children) is where the money should go first (unless you have debt, but it depends on the type of debt such as a mortgage [good] versus credit card [bad] debt).  Always pay yourself first.  Once you have all that taken of, then you are free to spend (or not spend) the discretionary funds as you see fit, whether it's on an expensive purse or a nice week-long vacation.

I agree with this. I treat myself to a manicure or something small like that, more for the pampering & the experience rather than an item.

**By the way... *LMAO* at your siggy mavjen : "this is what crazy looks like" Big Smile

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28lc7zo.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http:///]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10755;448/st/20120727/n/little+Cookie+Monster/dt/-1/k/489a/age.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • image AmyDrinkie:

I will shell out more for things I know I'll get a lot of mileage from.  For example, a $40 purse from Target probably isn't going to be leather, it will be PVC or fabric, and I don't think a bag made from those materials is worth $40.  However I'd be willing to spend $1000 on a leather bag that will last me 10yrs or longer.

This post made me think of something... I definitely agree there are quality differences in certain price ranges, but, at some point, I think you are no longer paying for a quality difference, but are really paying just for the label. I don't know that there is really a quality difference between a $400 leather bag and a $1000 one?  I don't own anything that expensive, but from the things my mom owns I know there is really no difference between her $1000 bag and my $300 Rebecca Minkoff bag besides the label. But, I do think in general there is a big difference between an $80 bag and a $300 bag.

To the other poster - what is worth it? It really is what is worth it to YOU and what you want to spend your money on.  

• Thanks ladies. I posed the question out of curiosity, no judgments or anything
  • For me, the F&B stuff that I'll spend extra money on is mascara and nail polish.  Mascara because I know if I buy the wrong stuff my eyes will itch all day, so I'll spend the extra money for stuff I won't be pulling off by noon.  Nail polish because I know that cheap nail polish scratches up my nails (not sure why) but OPI doesn't.  So I'll buy the more expensive nail polish so my nails will look as good when I take the polish off as they did when I put it on.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Trevor July 15, 2009 | Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt13b8ee.aspx[/img][/url]