North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

2011 Book Club

Because Book Club has been a sensitive subject on the board for the past year, let's keep this post friendly! Democracy hasn't worked in the past (hence a year with no book club) so I'm going to put this out there.

Part of my New Years Resolution was to read more, and be more social. Therefore I have decided to resurrect Book Club. Call it Ashlee's Book Club, call it the NE FL Book Club, I don't care. If you want to join me, and I hope you do, here's what you should know:

-Book Club will meet on the last Monday of the month (for now, holidays will change things)

-Book Club will be first and foremost about book discussion, but there will be socializing time as always. Hosts should prepare question guides at the very least so we have some direction in discussion.

-Because it is a slippery slope, at this point it has to be an all or nothing deal with babies. If you fully plan to participate, please list your preference. I'd say it's going to be either no children, or perhaps babies up to 6 months, but it has to be a consensus among participating members. Please, for the sanity of the board, only post your preference if you fully plan to be a part of the group. Because the dates are given far in advance, the hope is mom's will be able to make other arrangements for child care with children older than that. (If a participating mother has an issue with this, please bring it up at book club with members, and not a post on the board)

-Book Club is pot-luck style, so bring something tasty to share!

-Host may choose a book outright, or can poll the group for a selection at the beginning of the month. Please give adequate reading time!

Ok, so if you'd like to join and/or host, please post and pick a date from below:

January 31 - Historic Fiction

February 28 - Thriller/Drama

March 28 - Romance

April 25 - Memoir/Autobiography

May 23* - Classic Literature *adjusted for Memorial Day

June 27 - Non Fiction

and....GO! 

Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11

Re: 2011 Book Club

• I miss having a book club.  I tried one with another group in 2010 and it did not go over so hot.  We made it about three meetings (and far apart something crazy like every eight weeks) before everyone stopped reading the books.

I'd love to host January or February.

• I miss Book Club as well.  I love reading & being social, and it was a nice girls night. 

I'll host whenever. 

• Count me in. I'd love to host whenever. Probably not Memoir though. I love memoirs, but I could see myself saying "lets all read Mark Twains Autobiography!!" and then you would all hate me because it's about 1000 pages.

YAY book club!

As for kids, I really would see this as a night to have a few hours for yourself and adult conversation. I know book club doesn't extend past my due date, but if it does, I'll probably either get a babysitter or stay home for a few times if baby is nursing too often for me to slip away for a few hours.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo Credit: www.westhousephotography.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The day doesn't work for me, and I'm honestly not sure how much I'll have time to read, but pls post the decided book somewhere (maybe good reads again?). I'd like to see what you guys read in the event I do have some time to read along.
    "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." - Dale Carnegie
  • I would like to participate. I didn't get to join the last book club b/c of school. My first choice to host would be January, just because I love historical fiction and have a great idea for a book.

I have no preference for the baby situation.

Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would love to participate now that I'm local. I could host in a few months when my house doesnt look like a just-moved-in wreck. I prefer to keep it nursing babies only.
  • i'm out. but i second jen in asking that the selected book be posted here with possibly a follow-up discussion thread on here the day after the meeting...similar to what the nbc board does.
  • Sikes, if you want January I'll take February.  I love the thriller genre anyway.
  • Mondays most likely won't work for me but if DH's schedule happens to change I love to participate/host.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll take March then.
  • I can take May!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo Credit: www.westhousephotography.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Lucille Bluth:
    Sikes, if you want January I'll take February.  I love the thriller genre anyway.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in! This silly baby is old enough for her daddy to put her to bed. I got DH to give up one Monday of basketball a month since that's when he usually plays. Woohoo!
    Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • The second or third posting the book. If I were closer I would participate!!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • well that worked out perfectly! thank you all for keeping it friendly. we can definitely post the books on here when they're selected, and do follow up threads the day after to discuss the book. and it sounds like everyone is ok with nursing babies at book club, so we'll just keep it at that. 

sikes, why don't you go ahead and post your book choice (or put a poll up)

here's the schedule as of now:

january - sikes

february - lucille

march - devon

april - ashlee

may - mrs_link

june - open, maybe brittjoy?

also, i think it would be great if the next host could let us know at book club what their choice is, or give us the poll there so we can get the next book set immediately. so when we meet at sikes, lucille will have a book chosen to announce, or she'll conduct a poll among us with her choices. sound good?

yay, book club lives on!  

• I'm good with June. Looking forward to this!
  • I'm looking forward to this as well!  Thanks for putting this together, Ashlee.
  • image Lanerbell:
    The second or third posting the book. If I were closer I would participate!!
    Hmm... Perhaps a Pensacola book club should be considered.

Please do post the books. I'm going to start the 3rd Hunger Games book soon and don't have much lined up after that.
    Blog

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsjeLIN/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wsjeLIN/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • I'm very late to this but I'd love to join. I can host in the future since all the other dates are already set.

ETA: Hopefully at that date in the future we'll actually be in a house since I don't think you all want to come over and hang out with my parents. Wink

image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • image luckyinlove11902:

I'm very late to this but I'd love to join. I can host in the future since all the other dates are already set.

ETA: Hopefully at that date in the future we'll actually be in a house since I don't think you all want to come over and hang out with my parents. Wink

awesome! we'll set the next 6 months in may or whatever, so hopefully you'll be able to pick up a date then.