Decorating & Renovating

RH Silver Sage versus BM Gray Wisp

I've been reading a lot that BM's Gray Wisp is a match for Silver Sage. But when I look at pictures online of Gray Wisp and SS, the GW  looks so much more bluer than Silver Sage, which looks like a gray-sage green to me. Has anyone done Gray Wisp - is it really an exact match? It just looks very silvery pale blue.

I'd like to do my Florida room in Silver Sage, but I want it to flow from the kitchen which will likely be a very dark sage green.

I'm not crazy, I've just been a very bad mood for the last 40 years!

Re: RH Silver Sage versus BM Gray Wisp

• grey wisp is not actually grey. It's a grey toned blue, and honestly a super super close match for silver sage. In my downstairs bathroom with no windows it has a green tone to it, but upstairs in my kitchen and hallway it is definitely a blue grey.

Benjamin Moore actually makes Restoration Hardware's paint for them, so I do trust that it's an almost exact if not perfectly exact match. 

If you are worried, buy a quart or see if they have those giant 24 by 24 color boards you can buy for a few dollars to test it out first.

•  Damn colorcharts.org for not working today.  IIRC, Gray Wisp is like a 95% match to Silver Sage.  It's the closest match, but not perfect.

ETA:  aha!  Yes.  95.2% match:

linky

I've seen big differences in a room in paints that are more similar than that.

FWIW, I see that SW Contented is on the "good matches" list.  I've used SW Filmy Green which is on the same paint chip as Contented (one shade lighter).  It's in our green (aka spare) guest room:

I really like it.  So if you have any worries about GW being too blue, Contented might be a nice shade.

• I didn't know that Gray Wisp was a match. But when we used BM smoke, it was more of a blue than gray-blue like we wanted.  (Still love it despite that though.)  I know this isn't your question but - we did use the BM Silver Sage (it's actually named that too) on our dining room built-in cabinets.  It's not as blue as the RH Silver Sage, more gray-sage green.  It's very light. I have pictures in the below link. My walls are a linen color so it's a subtle change but it might help you to see how BM Silver Sage looks. HTH!   

http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/2010/12/built-in-china-cabinets-get-makeover.html 

• The people who owned our home before us painted a room RH Silver Sage, and we touched up with BM Grey Wisp and you can't tell at all.  But, the color itself is a beautiful pale blue/grey in some lights, but in others (especially under CFL bulbs) it is quite greenish.  I love it in our hall/staircase, but do not like it at all in our nursery, because it gets no natural light and always looks greenish. Here's examples:

In natural light (if only it looked like this all the time!):

How it really looks, now that we have blackout curtains in there and CFLs in the ceiling fan light fixture:

• As you can see in Dr.Girlfriend's nursery, it looks really different in different lighting situations, so that is probably just want you are seeing.

If you are really concerned, though, just ask the person working at the paint counter to look it up in the computer. Benjamin Moore (and many others) already have the formula in the computer for other paint brand colors, especially the really popular ones like RH Silver Sage. I did that for RH Sea Green and it worked out very well.

• I used RH silver sage in our old guest bathroom and it looked way more blue than the nursery above.  Probably because there was little natural light.  
    THE SWEET SURVIVAL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Running PRs
    5 Mile - 35:05
    10K - 45:55
    Half Marathon - 1:40:31
    Marathon - 3:37:41
  • I really do think it's all about the light. I wanted an eco option so we went with Sherwin Williams Comfort Grey and it tooks quite different from the living room to the bedroom depending on light. Love it in both though.