North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o Divorce, Courts & Gender

Comments in other threads have got me wondering...

Do you think courts should favor the woman right out of the gate?  Do you think that divorces are biased in favor to one gender or another? Should the woman automatically get the kids/house/dog/etc?  If so, why?  If not, why not?

Re: s/o Divorce, Courts & Gender

• image DevonStiles:

Do you think courts should favor the woman right out of the gate? 

Nope.

Do you think that divorces are biased in favor to one gender or another? 

Absolutely.

Should the woman automatically get the kids/house/dog/etc?  If so, why?  If not, why not?

Definitely not. Just being a woman does not mean that you're a better parent, or that your STBXH has any less right to your children. Additionally, assets vary so greatly from couple to couple. For example, DH and I are about to buy a house. I'm the one with the primary income right now so technically I'll be the one making the majority of the payments. However, the only reason I was able to finish my degree and get this job is because DH worked his butt off for the last 3 years so I didn't have to work. The house is just as much his as it is mine. I like to think I'd still have this frame of mind if we split up as long as there wasn't infidelity involved (and then I'd tell him to go to hell).

image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • Do you think courts should favor the woman right out of the gate? No

Do you think that divorces are biased in favor to one gender or another?  When it comes to kids, I do think they are biased. They do favor women more on this because typically (definitely not always) mother's do more of the child rearing then men. Again, I do mean typically. I do not believe that it should necessarily be this way.

Should the woman automatically get the kids/house/dog/etc? If so, why? If not, why not?  No, and they don't. I referenced kids above. when it comes to house and pets, Im finding that it is most definitely not the case. Everything else is pretty much 50/50 unless its pre-marital, which is my current hurdle.

Me and Matt Dec 2010
  • Do you think courts should favor the woman right out of the gate? No of course not

Do you think that divorces are biased in favor to one gender or another?  Ditto Liz. When it comes to kids, I think they are biased and I think it's for the reasons Liz said.

Should the woman automatically get the kids/house/dog/etc? If so, why? If not, why not?  No. I think this is hard. If a couple is splitting up just because the two of them should never have gotten married but neither one of them really did anything wrong, how do those decisions get made? Who should get the dog, the house, etc? I don't know. With kids, it's even harder. A kid should have both of their parents if both parents have the child's best interest at heart, but it's also not really fair to split custody 50/50 cuz then the kid doesn't really have that much stability.... I'm glad I don't have to be the one making these decisions.

Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you think courts should favor the woman right out of the gate? Nope

Do you think that divorces are biased in favor to one gender or another?  Divorce, no. Custody, yes.

Should the woman automatically get the kids/house/dog/etc? If so, why? If not, why not?  No. I think the house should be a 50/50 split unless one party doesn't want their portion. The dog is a touchy subject to me. I think it should go with whoever can and WILL provide for it appropriately. I don't think there can be any basic rule about who gets the children and when. I think there are multiple factors that need to be evaluated. I do think as the children age that the child should not be forced to spend 75% of time with parent A because of custody rules. If parent B is able to provide for the child and the child would prefer spend more time there then he/she should be allowed.

(Excuse my grammar, I'm typing with one hand)