Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone watch Bama Belles?

I've watched a couple of episodes on TLC and I get sucked in each time I watch.  I like the ladies and I'm fascinated by some of the Alabama/Southern activities they do (I grew up in the NYC area).  They all seem really nice, except for the NYC transplant at times (she can be really blunt).

Anyone else watching this show?

Re: Anyone watch Bama Belles?

• I haven't seen or heard of this yet, but if it's anything like Louisville Southern Belles then it's completely staged.  I went to high school with one of the girls on the show.  I wish this wasn't the direction that "reality" TV was going because I actually like to see how people really live without all the extra drama thrown in.

ETA:  Ok..Nevermind.  I just looked this up, and I think it's something different (a spinoff of Real Housewives, I think??).  I just assumed it was by the same people who created Southern Belles.

• I've watched it. And I live in Alabama, not far from where this was filmed. I can assure you, it really isn't like that here. I'd never heard of lawn mower races until that show...and none of my co-workers or friends ever had, either. And I don't know a single person who hunts...

It is just like any other reality show..feeds into the stereotypes of the "cast" as much as possible..and, well, that's all they are..stereotypes. 

One of the main women, Amy, I think, has been on a reality show before..her and her family were on Great American Road Trip a few summers ago. All she wants is to be "famous". 

I heard this was taken off of the air, though. A new episode didn't air last week...

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• madelyn07--I just googled and it appears it's been canceled.

I totally take your point about feeding into stereotypes.  Do people at least line dance in the bars as was shown in the 2nd episode?  I've never seen that before IRL and it reminded me of that scene in Thelma & Louise.

• image mavjen:

madelyn07--I just googled and it appears it's been canceled.

I totally take your point about feeding into stereotypes.  Do people at least line dance in the bars as was shown in the 2nd episode?  I've never seen that before IRL and it reminded me of that scene in Thelma & Louise.

I've never seen line dancing in any bars I've ever went to....granted, I don't live in a small-countryish town...so maybe out in the country they do?

I've never seen line dancing IRL either. 

• Thanks madelyn07.  I've only visited Alabama once, on the Gulf Coast for the annual shrimp festival.  The Gulf Shores area is gorgeous and the people were super nice.
  • image mavjen:
    Thanks madelyn07.  I've only visited Alabama once, on the Gulf Coast for the annual shrimp festival.  The Gulf Shores area is gorgeous and the people were super nice.

It is gorgeous..I hope you got some great seafood while you were down there. I guess, in all honesty, where I live I'm a little "sheltered" from things because of the university--so many people come from all over the world to live and work in Auburn. But I do know a lot of people from all over the state and they've all said the lawn mower races and that hunting trip are totally out of touch with reality.

Granted..I know the women on that show were Alabama fans and myself and pretty much everyone I know are Auburn fans...so that may have something to do with it Wink

• image madelyn07:
    image mavjen:

I've never seen line dancing in any bars I've ever went to....granted, I don't live in a small-countryish town...so maybe out in the country they do?

I grew up mainly in BFE Georgia, and let me tell you, yeah, there are some country bars where most people came there to line dance and it's pretty neat to watch. There would be people of all ages line dancing in perfect unison with each other. People in the South, as on that stupid show, are negatively stereotyped far too often by Hollywood and pretty much everyone else. Another common practice out in the country is to have huge parties on the partythrower's land, and we also like to get in the guys' lifted pickups and go rootin' through the mud and swamps, hunt, and once in a while, some of the guys actually would rig their lawn mowers to be quite fast and they actually would participate in lawnmower racing. It's all in good fun and no one I know has ever hurt anyone by the things they enjoy. It's just a way of life down here in the South, just as much as a lot of us love to fish, love country cooking, and college football.  We're polite, intelligent, and think nothing of helping out our fellow countrymen in any way we can. Sure, there are certain people that are complete, unintelligent rednecks that live up to their stereotypes, but for the most part, we are the way I described above.

So, I'm pretty thrilled that this idiotic show was cancelled.

Visit The Knot!
  • image naturallyboredthriller:
    image madelyn07:
    image mavjen:

I grew up mainly in BFE Georgia, and let me tell you, yeah, there are some country bars where most people came there to line dance and it's pretty neat to watch. There would be people of all ages line dancing in perfect unison with each other. People in the South, as on that stupid show, are negatively stereotyped far too often by Hollywood and pretty much everyone else. Another common practice out in the country is to have huge parties on the partythrower's land, and we also like to get in the guys' lifted pickups and go rootin' through the mud and swamps, hunt, and once in a while, some of the guys actually would rig their lawn mowers to be quite fast and they actually would participate in lawnmower racing. It's all in good fun and no one I know has ever hurt anyone by the things they enjoy. It's just a way of life down here in the South, just as much as a lot of us love to fish, love country cooking, and college football.  We're polite, intelligent, and think nothing of helping out our fellow countrymen in any way we can. Sure, there are certain people that are complete, unintelligent rednecks that live up to their stereotypes, but for the most part, we are the way I described above.

So, I'm pretty thrilled that this idiotic show was cancelled.

Interesting...the only one of the things you listed that I know anything about is college football...

•  

lol, well that's a darn good thing to know something about! ;)

Visit The Knot!
  • i am from the south and we line dance, go through the mud have bonfires and enjoy the country lifestyle.i  also hunt fish and owna gun.