Buying A Home

Buying a home in a flood plain?

Hi! This is my first time posting on this board, my husband and I started looking for houses about 2 weeks ago and I've been lurking here for a while. :)

Our realtor suggested we look at an adorable home that is on the low end of our budget and in great shape.

The clincher, it's in a 100-year flood plain. It has only had water in the basement once and that was 2 years ago during the "Flood of Floods" that destroyed a ton of homes and flooded homes that were not even in flood plains.

What would you do? I know we'd have to get flood insurance for the house, but would something like this be a deal breaker?

Thank you for your help!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Due May 10, 2012

Re: Buying a home in a flood plain?

• My last home and current home are in 100yr flood plains. So no, not a deal breaker for me. But neither of my homes had ever flooded, so I'd be very careful about how things were repaired.

And get a quote on that flood insurance, because it can be pricey.

- Jena
  • My mom lives on a flood plain and she has for the past 12 years and it has never flooded. We have had 2 major hurricanes since she has lived there and the street flooded but not the house. 
  • No, not a deal breaker. Lots of properties are located in 100 year flood plains.

Flood insurance is a great idea. You can go to floodsmart.gov and find a local agent who will quote you on this. It's a national program, administered through the government, so it's not like homeowners insurance where you can select a carrier. But an agent can tell you the cost for insuring the property with flood insurance.

By the way, flood plains change every so often. FEMA engineers are currently re-evaluating part of Atlanta (where I live) that was underwater in September of 2009.

• I live in New Orleans so pretty much the whole city is a flood area. For us it was finding the right insurance. You just need to do your research and know the potential risk.
  • Honestly, the buying a house in a flood plain (especially a 100 year flood plain) wouldn't really bother me. I'd be more worried about the quality of the repairs done after the flood on this house! 

If you do decide to go through with it, make sure you get a great inspector who will do a really thorough job of inspecting for foundation problems, structural problems, any potential undetected mold problems, etc

• We avoided houses in flood plains.  It will affect your resale value (just like it is making the purchase price cheaper).  When you say it has only had water in the basement once - what do you mean?  How long have the current owners lived there?  If less than 20 or so years, that isn't much history.

The way I look at it, a 100 year flood plan is a 1/4 chance that it will flood in the next 25 years - our expected time frame in a house. Flood damage is something I don't want to deal with. However, if most of you region is in a 100 year flood plain that would be a different matter.

• Awesome! Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Due May 10, 2012