Fashion & Beauty

OPI Axxium vs. CND Shellac

I'm going to get a gel lacquer manicure this afternoon for my and H's company Xmas parties coming up this week/weekend.  The salon I'm going to offers both the CND Shellac and OPI's Axxium.  They are both the same price.  Any thoughts on which one is better?  I'm just curious what the difference is, if any and if anyone has experience with either/both?

Re: OPI Axxium vs. CND Shellac

• I've had OPI done and it was okay, but definitely didn't last 2 weeks.  I did Bubble Bath and I actually had one nail chip within 24 hrs.

It lasted about a week.

However, my friend got OPI Lincoln Park after Dark done 2 wks ago and it still hasn't chipped/looks great except for the nail growing out.

I think it really depends on where you go and how they apply it

• I am a licenced manicurist (I don't do nails anymore but have retained my license to get discounts at the beauty supply store) I don't have any experience with OPI's version but I recently discovered Shellac, and OMG. What a revelation. I have been wearing acrylic pink and white nails for YEARS because I didn't like the look of bare nails. Shellac is not only cheaper ($30 here for a manicure w/ paraffin and Shellac application, $45+ for a full set of acrylic) but it really lasts like they say it does! I wish there was a bigger selection of colors, now mostly just pinks, reds, and neutrals. My suggestion: tell the manicurist about the special events and ask her to take extra time getting close to the cuticle/sides of the nail. Since a normal polish job barely last 3 days and this stuff stays on (in my experience) with no chips or peeling for almost a full 14, you will notice a grow-out line.

Just a thought: if you like the results and regularly get manicures.... a UV lamp for nails can be bought on amazon for around $80 (must be 36 W), and the polishes can be bought online as well, costing about $20 (you need a base, color, and top coat designed to cure in the UV light) The process is not any more complicated than using regular polish. So, for $140 (about) you could have the tools to do this yourself, and depending on the price you pay at the salon, it could pay for itself in under 5 manicures. After Christmas, I will be investing in my own supplies and skipping the salon!

• I am getting my first Shellac this Friday!  Can't wait!

But the better news is that I just got off of Ebay and bought an 36w UV lamp, base and top and also a bottle of polish for around $102.

My mani will cost $30 but I'm going to "learn" how to do it and then do it at home.  I find myself to be very good at nails so I'm really excited!

My favorite color from looking online is Romantique.  I love a very sheer light pink/beige and this will be perfect. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom has gotten the Shellac a bunch of times and it lasts almost 3 weeks.  However, her nails started getting really weak after having it done a couple of times.
    Holiday Card 2011
    The Baloney Bug, A Blog
  • image littlelamb99:

I am getting my first Shellac this Friday!  Can't wait!

But the better news is that I just got off of Ebay and bought an 36w UV lamp, base and top and also a bottle of polish for around $102.

My mani will cost $30 but I'm going to "learn" how to do it and then do it at home.  I find myself to be very good at nails so I'm really excited!

My favorite color from looking online is Romantique.  I love a very sheer light pink/beige and this will be perfect. 

Right on! I love saving $ and this is basically a no-brainer! Once you get the hang of it (i.e. have done it once to yourself) you could "accept donations" of about $10 from friends and make that money back even faster!!

• I did the Shellac 2 weeks ago and was in love! i just took it off so i could do a color change for the weekend of Christmas parties!
  • I have had both done many times, and I love Shellac and will never, ever do Axxium again.  For both of them, you want to make sure you are going to someone who has a lot of experience in doing these types of manicures.  The application makes all the difference in how long the manicure will last.  Experience is even more important with the Axxium because the manicurist will "rough up" your nails and an inexperienced person can do some real damage.  Even with a manicurist who is experienced with these products, I have found Axxium to be much, much more damaging to my nails.  Like I said, the manicurist will rough up your nails before the application.  This step is not necessary with Shellac, it goes on much more like regular polish where the Axxium is much thicker.  The Shellac is also MUCH easier to remove, which is nice if you want to remove it at home.  I found when I was doing the Axxium that my nails became very weak and it took awhile to grow out the damage.  Now that I have only been doing Shellac, my nails are great.  In sum, I didn't find that the Axxium lasted any longer than the Shellac and it was MUCH harder on my nails, so I will definitely be sticking with Shellac from now on.
  • I LOVE Shellac and not a fan of Axxium.  I got Axxium done a couple months ago when a local salon had a Groupon for it, but it took FOREVER to get them off (they are supposed to be "soak off" but seriously, it took like an hour) and my nails looked and felt weak and full of ridges, almost like I had acrylics on.

Then the salon I normally go to for all other beauty services  started carrying Shellac in late Sept and I went and got one right away.  OMG amazing!!!!!  I usually get Fedora, which is a darker color, and it lasts and lasts, at least 2 weeks every time, but around that mark the nail starts to grow out near the cuticle so I try to go get it redone around then.  And it comes off in a SNAP, I can even do it myself at home with acetone nail polish remover.  It's cheaper than Axxium and removal is easier and I have not noticed any damage to my nails.  My only gripe about Shellac is the limited color selection (which they can layer to make more colors), but they are coming out with quite a few new ones in the spring!

• I was told that cnd shellac has to be used with the creative uv lamp.  Does another uv lamp harden it ok?  I bought the opi axxium light and some of the edges of the shellac seems to come off with the alcohol at the end.  Does that happen to anyone else?  Any good advice on how to apply it?  I noticed you can't apply it to thick or it bubbles.  
  • image tdflick:
    I was told that cnd shellac has to be used with the creative uv lamp.  Does another uv lamp harden it ok?  I bought the opi axxium light and some of the edges of the shellac seems to come off with the alcohol at the end.  Does that happen to anyone else?  Any good advice on how to apply it?  I noticed you can't apply it to thick or it bubbles.  

Any 36 watt UV lamp should work. Of course, CND wants you to spend $$$ on their light! Simply not necessary.

My advice is this: use the CND nail fresh nail dehydrator. apply THIN coats of each polish layer. Cure base coat for 30 seconds. each subsequent coat gets 2 mins. apply a tiny "cap" over the free edge of each nail. if you have problems with peeling its most likely too thick or your nails are too long.