Money Matters

Target's return policy without a receipt?

Do they allow you to return without a receipt?

Re: Target's return policy without a receipt?

• No.

But if you bought it with a credit card, they can pull up the transaction for you so you don't need a receipt. 

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • yes but you will get store credit for the lowest price of the item that shows in the system.

ADDING - i just returned a bunch of baby gift stuff with no receipt and they allowed it.  i did not have gift receipts or a baby registry with them...maybe tell them it was a gift if you didnt use a cc?

• I'm not sure - I always save Target receipts because I know they can be a PITA about returns - but I know they were doing a thing for a while where all you needed was the CC you used to buy the item.  I'm not sure if they're still doing that; it's been a while since I've had to return anything there.
  • This was a gift.  I thought I head they returned for credit if it was under a certain amount.
  • image amamba:

No.

But if you bought it with a credit card, they can pull up the transaction for you so you don't need a receipt. 

Ditto.  I tried to return a few items after my bridal shower and I had to get a manager to even help me.  The only thing I could get them to do for me was I was allowed to buy an equal value item in the same department of the item I was returning.  

• On a related note, I recently bought a zip-up hoodie, and the zipper fell off the first time I washed it. Do you think I could take it back? I don't have the receipt. Maybe they would exchange for another?

ETA: At Target

• I have heard you get 3 receipt-less transactions per year?  Maybe that's outdated.

I also thought I heard you can get store credit for up to $70 per year. 

• I actually work at Target part-time right now and I work at the customer service desk. Yes, you can return without a receipt. However, you will get the lowest price that the item had been priced at within the last 60 days (I believe it's 60). Also, the computer system generally doesn't allow you to return more than $70ish per year without a receipt using your drivers license. It sounds like you haven't done returns though without a receipt, so as long as it is under that amount you should be fine.

If it is an old item or some special item (you never know what the computer will do), then what may happen is that you have to go spend that money in the department the item came from.

The computer system is sometimes really touchy but as long as the item is under ~$70 you should be fine.

• image PumaPants:

On a related note, I recently bought a zip-up hoodie, and the zipper fell off the first time I washed it. Do you think I could take it back? I don't have the receipt. Maybe they would exchange for another?

ETA: At Target

If your Target is like the one I work at, then yes. 

• image jennylee753:

Yes, you can return without a receipt. However, you will get the lowest price that the item had been priced at within the last 60 days (I believe it's 60).

This has been my experience.  I got totally burned by it, because Target turns over their stuff so quickly.  I had gotten a rug for $30 and lost the receipt.  They were going to give me about $6 for it, since it had been clearanced in the 30 days since I bought it.

• I just returned some items from my baby shower that I didnt need to Target, that didnt come with a gift receipt. They said as long as it was under $70 I could return them without a receipt and I wouldnt be allowed to do that again for one year. I had to give them my drivers license. They put the returned money on a Target gift card.
  • image dvlish:

ADDING - i just returned a bunch of baby gift stuff with no receipt and they allowed it.  i did not have gift receipts or a baby registry with them...maybe tell them it was a gift if you didnt use a cc?

They limit you to $75 worth of returns in a year though.  We ran into that when returning baby stuff that was exclusive to Target.  Obviously it came from there, but once we hit $75, they wouldn't take anything else back.

• I have never had a problem. They do store credit without a receipt.