Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Poll: So how tacky are blow-ups really?

We've always been an anti-inflatable household. Yes, I like colored Christmas lights, no I don't want a Griswold family Christmas. Now we have a nearly 2yo DS and I just know he would go freaking nutso excited to have an inflatable. The tackier the better (read: snow globe with snow blowing, critters on teeter totters, anything with Elmo, Mickey, Pooh and friends). It may be a moot point b/c our budget is beyond tight and I'm not sure I can even find a sale right now, but how much do you judge lol? Honestly, I don't give a flying fig b/c my DS would love it, but DH is resisting!

Re: Poll: So how tacky are blow-ups really?

• Sorry totally posted to the wrong board lol!
  • I've seen some holiday blow-ups that are tacky but cute- I'm a sucker for all things penguin related.

BUT, those blow-ups are terrible for energy consumption!  Between the lighting, the blower and the rotating/bouncing/moving figures inside, they consume quite a lot of electricity.  Keep that in mind when figuring out the overall cost of the decoration.

• We bought one last year. I only kept it on at night, and during the day it was deflated. I went away for the day and night, and we had a heavy snowfall. The thing got BURIED under a couple of feet of snow....I couldn't even pull it out. I just had to unplug it and wait for spring, LOL.
    Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • If they're tacky, then 1/2 of the US is tacky.
    image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • image MarynJoe:
    If they're tacky, then 1/2 of the US is tacky.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Looking around my neighborhood, quite a few houses have them, and I woulnd't say the people in my neighborhood are tacky by any stretch of the imagination.

• I think the only thing tacky about them is the way they look when they're all deflated in the yard during the day. That's a hot mess. Otherwise it's not that I find them tacky, I just think they're for babies, and we don't plan on having any. My H likes them and wants one for Easter and I told him no. SD is 12 years old, not 3, so unless it was a big, inflatable John Cena or Justin Bieber, I don't think she'd care about having one. ;)
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x200p0.jpg[/IMG]
  • image festivegal2008:
    I think the only thing tacky about them is the way they look when they're all deflated in the yard during the day. That's a hot mess. Otherwise it's not that I find them tacky, I just think they're for babies, and we don't plan on having any. My H likes them and wants one for Easter and I told him no. SD is 12 years old, not 3, so unless it was a big, inflatable John Cena or Justin Bieber, I don't think she'd care about having one. ;)

I thought decorations were for all to enjoy....the people looking at the house as well as the people living there, (and it sounds like at least one of you would enjoy it).

We have inflatables, but we don't use them every year...or all at once.lol  We didn't get any until after our kids were grown and out of the house, and before grandchildren....they are just to make people smile.

As for energy use, there are only a few lights inside, and the blower.  I think the ones that move do so with either air flow or possibly a switch, but not much more power consumption.  We use far more energy with lights than with an inflatable, although we have switched to led and solar lights for the house and shrubs.