Married Life

cooking Q - evaporated milk vs. regular milk

does anyone know if it would make a HUGE difference if I just used regular 1% milk in my sweet potato casserole instead of evap. milk? What if I cook the milk down a little first? I've done that for soups. What about half-and-half?

I got condensed milk instead of evaporated milk, and I don't want to go to the store tomorrow morning - waahhh!! I'm assuming H won't want to go either.

Re: cooking Q - evaporated milk vs. regular milk

• I never understood what this was, but my grandmother always used it.
    my read shelf:
    Kathryn W's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • What else does your sweet potato casserole have in it? Anything sweet like sugar, syrup or marshmallows?

If it is a sweet casserole, you are fine using the condensed milk instead of waiting to get evaporated milk. Condensed milk is sweetened whereas evaporated is not, so I would just eliminate some of the sweetness from other ingredients to even it out if you use the condensed.

Otherwise, do you have some dried milk? You can also use this as a substitute for evaporated - just add only 40% of the recommended water.  

• image jazomine79:

What else does your sweet potato casserole have in it? Anything sweet like sugar, syrup or marshmallows?

If it is a sweet casserole, you are fine using the condensed milk instead of waiting to get evaporated milk. Condensed milk is sweetened whereas evaporated is not, so I would just eliminate some of the sweetness from other ingredients to even it out if you use the condensed.

Otherwise, do you have some dried milk? You can also use this as a substitute for evaporated - just add only 40% of the recommended water.  

no no no no!!!

sweetened condensed milk is thick and syrupy! evap milk is thin like skim!

not interchangeable!

I do think that a 2% or skim might substitute ok, though

Tarnation!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • image EdithBouvierBeale:

no no no no!!!

sweetened condensed milk is thick and syrupy! evap milk is thin like skim!

not interchangeable!

I do think that a 2% or skim might substitute ok, though

no no no no!! :)

The only difference is that condensed milk is 40-45% sugar, thus the syrupy sweetness. I think condensed starts from whole milk also, whereas evaporated starts with 1% maybe? But they are both reduced to 40% of their water content.

How about cream? Do you have any cream in your house? I think this would be better than just regular milk, since is is thicker (i.e. closer to the 40% water content)... 

• ?Which is WHY if there is sugar elsewhere in the recipe, she can reduce that ingredient and use the condensed instead of evaporated.

Walla! 

• and now is where I confess that I know squat about cooking!

(but I still would use regular milk to replace evap milk before I would use sweetened condensed milk, which I wish I could drink.)

Tarnation!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Yeah, the casserole has A TON of sugar.

I think I'll just mention to H tomorrow morning that "oops! I got the wrong thing!" and if he doesn't offer to go get the evap. milk, I'll just reduce some 2% (which is actually what I have, not 1%).

• This is the recipe I use every year and it calls for regular milk. I think if your recipe looks at all similar it will turn out fine without the evap milk.
  • image c_joy:
    This is the recipe I use every year and it calls for regular milk. I think if your recipe looks at all similar it will turn out fine without the evap milk.

thank you! That is pretty much my recipe except for the milk.