Fashion & Beauty

Does anyone know about The North Face sizing?

I found a jacket that I would like to order for my sister. I read all of the reviews and it said that the size runs small. I think she usually wears a medium or large in their fleece jackets, so I was going to get her a large coat.

Do they really run small? Should I order an XL coat?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Does anyone know about The North Face sizing?

• I don't know about jackets, but I just bought a couple of North Face shirts in S.  I don't think it runs small.  I usually wear a 2 or XS in Gap/BR/J.Crew but these stores are known for vanity sizing.
  • Actually, I find that North Face runs a size big. So I'd get her a medium for sure.
  • image shopgirl_07:
    Actually, I find that North Face runs a size big. So I'd get her a medium for sure.

Ditto.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mmm maybe it depends on the style? 

I wear a small/medium depending on the store and both my North Face coats are Medium

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a raincoat and a down jacket from North Face and they're both a M (I wear a M in most stores, 6/8 pant size).
    My Boys

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would definitely not size up to XL. I'd go with M or L (probably the medium).

• I find that they are pretty true to size.  I would NOT order bigger!
    Cheese mama! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image shopgirl_07:
    Actually, I find that North Face runs a size big. So I'd get her a medium for sure.

Agreed. I wear M generally on top, and I do in their sizes too if I want a little extra room to layer underneath, but I have also bought children's sizes in NF too (L or XL) because it is cheaper that way...I know a lot of people that do this, and some retailers even promote it.

• I definitely think they run large! I typically wear a S, occasionally a M in coats (more room for sweaters ;) DH got me a M North Face fleece and it was HUGE on me. I was able to wear it to the very end of both of my pregnancies, even zip it up over my huge bump (and I gained almost 40lbs both times)! And it's quite large in the shoulders too. I should have exchanged it for a S.
    our beautiful girls!
    Kylie born 2/08. Alexandra born 10/09.