What's Cooking?

Reheating mashed potatoes in crock pot - how long?

I'm going to make PW's creamy mashed potatoes ahead of time and storing in the fridge for T-day.  I'll reheat them in the crockpot on the big day.  I'm trying to plan out my timing  - how long should it take for the mashed potatoes to heat up in the crock pot? (5lbs of spuds)

thought I'd ask the experts -- TIA!!

Re: Reheating mashed potatoes in crock pot - how long?

• the baby is lovely
    just get married
  • I'm not an expert, but I'd think if you put them on high for the first hour, and reduce to low they'd be warm in a couple of hours. I think you should check them often.

I would definitely add milk before heating.  Never have I ever reheated spuds.

image LIFE ~~~'34-'08 My Mom is just one prayer away!~~~ My rings were stolen, but the memories won't die!
  • I wouldn't reccomend it.  I ruined my potatoes last year doing that.  However, I put them on low for about 2-3 hours and left my house.  When I came back, they were liquified and bit burnt on the bottom.  Maybe if you do low for an hour and then keep them on warm, you would be good.  But if there is anyway you can make them right before dinner, I think this would be best.

Kisses + sexy underwear = BFP 9-14-12 EDD 5-26-13br>

• This is the recipe I'm using for my slow cooker potatoes

Extra Good Mashed Potatoes
    from the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook by Dawn J. Rank and Phyllis Pellman Good
    5 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
    8 ounces of softened cream cheese
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    3 tsp onion or garlic salt
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tbsp melted butter

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, and cover. Cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours