Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Breaking Dawn MAJOR spoiler

I won't name names in case anyone chooses to peek at this without having read the whole book, so here goes: 

When I found out who Jacob had imprinted with, I let out the hugest gasp and almost dropped the book.  I've never reacted to a book like that before.  MAYBE Jane Eyre, when I found out what Rochester was hiding from Jane.  Am I insane or was anyone else as shocked as I was?

Don't tell me anything past the first few chapters of Bella's second book though!  I need to finish this book tonight.

Re: Breaking Dawn MAJOR spoiler

• As she was building up to it I totally knew it was going to happen, but you're not insane. ;)
  • I totally didn't see it coming, even though I should have.  I found the whole end of Jacob's book so intense and once Bella picked up the narration, I was totally flying through those pages.....I guess I didn't really THINK hard enough about it at that point.  But eeewww.......so far!!   LOL. 
  • I actually missed it when I first read it! I think I was reading it too quickly (I was at the beach). It happened very fast.
    image Emily 7-10-04
    My Food Blog Visit The Nest!
  • I was already on the fence at that point in BD, so when B screamed at J, yes this really happened, I put down the book and let out an annoyed "WTF?!"  I've said it before, I think the imprinting on children is creepy.
  • image cheapbeachbride:
    I was already on the fence at that point in BD, so when B screamed at J, yes this really happened, I put down the book and let out an annoyed "WTF?!"  I've said it before, I think the imprinting on children is creepy.

Agreed, it is creepy...I just try to think of it as a pure love since there's nothing sexual about it at that point.

• If you choose to keep reading this when you haven't read this part, that is your bad. Spoilers ahead.

It's not even the fact that he imprinted on a newborn baby that bothered me so much. It's the fact that it is Bella's baby. The girl he was in love with and wanted desperately to be with. 

It seems to totally negate the feelings Jacob and Bella had for one another in the other books by explaining it away as him being drawn to her eggs, or knowing he would be in love with her kid, or whatever the hell. 

To me, that makes Bella's choice of Edward over Jacob less special and meaningful. There was really no choice at all. It makes everything work out too conveniently and , like I said, really negates everything that happened in books 2 and 3.

The fact that SM had planned for Jacob to imprint on her before she even wrote New Moon or Eclipse is the problem for me. (For those of you who don't know, she originally wrote a sequel to Twilight called Forever Dawn. However, it essentially went straight from Twilight to the Breaking Dawn plot, and her publishers thought Bella and Edward should stay in HS a little longer before they got married and popped out a kid, so she went back and wrote New Moon and Eclipse. Her publishers wanted her to tie everything up at the end of Eclipse, but she really wanted to write that damn kid into the book, so she fought for Breaking Dawn.) She had this plan for Jacob before she had planned for him to be a love interest for Bella AND THEN she went on to write the two books because of her contract, so she worked out this love triangle. 

Then she went back to the original story she had planned for Jacob, and, to me, it rings so false and really makes everything Jacob and Bella had felt for each other in those books seem so insincere. It might have been a natural progression for end-of-Twilight-Jacob, but for end-of-Eclipse-Jacob, the Jacob who passionately made out with Bella, it's just weird, wrong, and screams of plot device and feeble attempt at a contrived happy ending.

Why make him a love interest for Bella when you know you are going to make him fall in love with her newborn baby? It's just lame. 

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image cheapbeachbride:
    I was already on the fence at that point in BD, so when B screamed at J, yes this really happened, I put down the book and let out an annoyed "WTF?!"  I've said it before, I think the imprinting on children is creepy.

I did the same thing!  I actually put the book down for a night because I couldn't believe what had just happened and had to process it.  I definitely did not see that coming, even though I probably should have!

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Young_Love said everything I could possibly ever think on the subject.

• I actually kind of saw it coming. I had read the chapter right before that one at lunch and on my way home was thinking about it, and it just popped into my head that it was going to happen. I was more annoyed than shocked that I was right :)
    image Visit The Nest! image
  • image tuckertobe:

Young_Love said everything I could possibly ever think on the subject.

I agree- Y_L that summary is fabulous.

image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't see it coming... I remember being TOTALLY shockd.  Your not alone! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know why I was so caught off guard by this.  In hindsight, I should have seen it coming.  Other than that, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Y_L about the points she makes.  It just seems wrong!

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • Oh, and I guess I should answer the original question. (You guys know how it is when I get started on Breaking Dawn. Haha.)

I bought the book at the midnight release and was trying to stay up all night to read it. I ended up getting really tired, plus I was not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would, so I decided around 3:30am to get some sleep...right in the middle of Jacob's book. About an hour and a half later I shot up in bed, thinking She wouldn't have Jacob imprint on Bella's baby, would she? NO. She wouldn't do that! And then I had to get up at 5am and finish the damn thing.

So I wasn't that shocked because, apparently, I figured it out in my sleep. Haha.

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Y_L- I don't think you ever told us that before- that's pretty flippin funny!

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • I didn't see this coming either.  Actually I finished Jacob's book and started reading Bella's book and then I thought, "Wait a minute!  Was that him imprinting?"  Then I went back and reread the last bit and decided it was.  So it didn't even sink in with me after I read it the first time!

I also agree with Y_L in that it was creepy for me more because it was Bella's daughter then because it was a child.  I ultimately like the imprinting and I think if I were to choose which storyline to leave off to make it less gross I would have had Bella and Jacob only be friends.  Maybe they joke about it some and even think about what it would be like but not have the really strong attraction that Jacob had for Bella. 

*** Minor TTW spoilers ahead*** I have to say that the adult male / young girl thing is something that has always grossed me out about Time Travelor's Wife.  It isn't quite the same because Claire is more like 10 in the book but I still think their relationship is pretty innappropriate if you look at it in terms of age. 

imageimageimage
  • Thanks for your POV young_love, I had never heard of Forever Dawn and that somewhat changes some of my feelings....things to think about now.
  • i had an inkling when he kept explaining his attraction to bella 'as if her gravity were growing' or something along those lines. still, when i got to that part in the book, i set it down and "OMG"-ed for like 5 minutes before i could continue.
  • One thing about the Forever Dawn issue-

Jacob did not play such a major part in the original, and I was under the impression that he didn't imprint on ANYONE, not that she had always planned Nes to be the object of Jacob's imprinting.

• image jessawakawaii:

One thing about the Forever Dawn issue-

Jacob did not play such a major part in the original, and I was under the impression that he didn't imprint on ANYONE, not that she had always planned Nes to be the object of Jacob's imprinting.

No that's not correct.  She answers this in her BD FAQ on the website.  Here is the section on similarities and differences from Forever Dawn:

How different is Breaking Dawn from Forever Dawn? What changed, what stayed the same, and why? Will you ever post extras from Forever Dawn?

The basic story is the same. Bella and Edward get married and go to Isle Esme for their honeymoon. Bella gets pregnant with Renesmee. The birth just about kills Bella, but Edward makes her a vampire in time. Jacob imprints on Renesmee. Alice has a vision of the Volturi coming to destroy the Cullens with the "immortal child" as their excuse. Alice bails. Bella's shielding abilities turn the tide in the Cullen's favor, along with Alice bringing home another half-vampire to prove that Nessie isn't a danger.

The things that are different:

• Jacob and Bella are not nearly so close. None of the events of New Moon or Eclipse exist; Edward never leaves, so Bella and Jacob never bond. Jacob's feelings for Bella remain at crush level.
    • Due in part to Jacob being a smaller character, the werewolf pack is only sketchily developed. It exists as a whole, but there isn't much information about the individuals. Most of the wolves do not have names.
    • The entire story is written in Bella's perspective. Because of this, there is a lot more emphasis on the pregnancy phase.
    • Jacob isn't there at the delivery, naturally, so he imprints on Renesmee a few weeks later when Bella is visiting Charlie.
    • With no New Moon or Eclipse, Victoria and Laurent are both still alive. Laurent stays happily with Irina and sides with the Cullens in the confrontation with the Volturi. It is Victoria rather than Irina who informs on the Cullens to the Volturi. She creates a new friend, Riley, to make the actual accusation. She doesn't want Aro to know about her agenda?or the fact that the baby is only half-vampire, of which she is aware.
    • The wolves kill Victoria. She is the only casualty at the final confrontation.
    • The last chapter ends the same way, but there is an epilogue. It involves Max (J. Jenk's assistant). Bella's initial interaction with him is a little bit longer and, feeling she owes him a favor, she gives him her number and tells him she will help him out in return if he ever needs a favor of his own. Max gets himself into some trouble, and Bella gets to play Superman.
    imageimageimage
  • I finished BD last night, so my thougths may be a spoiler if you aren't finished.

I wanted more action.  Not just what we got - more like HP 7.  I won't go into detail in case you haven't read it.  Also, the imprinting thing didn't really bother me, even now that I know about the skipping New Moon and Eclipse, I could see that Jacob would still be in love with Bella because he does not know that he'll imprint with her daughter.

What I hated - was that she just tied it all up in a pretty bow and handed it over.  I guess I was setting it up to be really good...but it was ok.  I didn't hate it, and I still like the series, but it wasn't great.  And I can tell that I'll be least interested to see this movie.  I think the Eclipse movie will be awesome!