Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

PSA re: Borders & recs needed!

If you haven't gotten the flyer yet - this weekend is educator appreciation weekend at Borders.  25% off your entire purchase with proof of educator status, and it does NOT need to be school-related... free tote with purchase of $40 or more, as well.

Which leads me to my next question - anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?  I'm buying books purely for my own pleasure with this discount!  I buy books for my classroom year-round, and for less than what I would pay with the discount at Borders, anyway.  So!  Any mindless, fun recommendations for me?  I'm tossing around the idea of starting the Outlander series or HP (yes, I'm planning to give it ONE MORE TRY, despite my history of failed attempts).

Re: PSA re: Borders & recs needed!

• Oooh! Get Outlander and tell me how it is! I've been dying to try it! ;D

And yes, give HP another try. It really IS an AMAZING series!

• What grade do you teach?  Is it a Twilight bag?  Because I only read Twilight, duh.
  • Thanks for the info on Educator Appreciation Week! I work in a school and l love taking advantage of discounts whenever I can : ) 
  • I just saw the signs yesterday at Borders.  Love it!

I recommend the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray.  I just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty last week and it was really good.  They're in the YA section.

image image
  • image j*&p*:

I just saw the signs yesterday at Borders.  Love it!

I recommend the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray.  I just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty last week and it was really good.  They're in the YA section.

I liked this, too. A fun, easy read. Yes

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oooh, thanks for the PSA!  My DH is a teacher, and he always forgets when the weekends are.
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Ky - How did I know you'd say that? ;)  I'll let you know if I do try Outlander.

CBB - I teach kindergarten.  Keeps me on my toes, that's for sure.

Justinsbride - it's only this weekend (Oct. 3-5).  Didn't want you making an unnecessary trip before then!

j*&p* and Y_L - thanks for the rec.  YA has been fun lately, so maybe I'll continue the trend.

Jill - I wouldn't have known, either... they should really publicize it more!  One of our administrators forwarded it on to us a few weeks ago... I made sure to save the email so I'd remember!

• DH, his stepmom, and I all really like the Pendragon series.  In some places, they're in the YA section.  It's cool - Bobby Pendragon, a teenager, travels through time/space to other places in a battle with other "Travelers" of good vs. evil.
  • too bad we don't have a Border's here! My mom is a teacher so that would have been nice!  Just Barnes and Noble here.
  • The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver - one of my favorite books ever!  a must read, IMO

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - not mindless, but very good

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich - very mindless, but very good!

anything by Jen Lancaster, although you'd want to read them in order - Bitter is 1st, then Bright Lights, then Such a Pretty Fat

David Sedaris cracks me up - Me Talk Pretty One Day had me rolling

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner is some seriously good chick lit

i just finished reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and i really really enjoyed it.  i definitely recommend that one.

these are all mostly books that are usually recommended here.  thats' mostly because most of my ideas for what to read come from this board.  sorry if you've already read all of this stuff Smile