Money Matters

Vanguard vs. TIAA-CREF for retirement

Hi, I'm new to the board. My 403b retirement account choices are Vanguard or TIAA-CREF and I'm clueless about both of them, having come from a 401k at Fidelity. Can anyone help me understand the differences between the two? tia! 

Re: Vanguard vs. TIAA-CREF for retirement

• They're not so different.  Neither are for-profit companies (unlike many large financial companies e.g. Charles Schwab and Merril Lynch), and both are best known for low-cost, index-style investing rather than higher fee actively managed funds.

I personally use Vanguard as their fees are the lowest and I like their fund selection.  I have also had great experience with their customer service and website.  I don't think you can go wrong with either company, though.

• image SomethingNew08:
    I personally use Vanguard as their fees are the lowest and I like their fund selection.  I have also had great experience with their customer service and website.  I don't think you can go wrong with either company, though.

Ditto all of this.

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • I have TIAA-Cref (I didn't get a choice), my dad had them early in his career.  The return was good for the funds he had things in. DH had them before his company switched to the Principal (I think).  Neither one of us had any problems with them.  CS is responsive. They have a decent selection of funds, not sure about the other company you listed so I'd go with PPs advice on them.

I'd ask your benefits person if they the white sheets or a comparison sheet about the plans so you can compare the fees/funds etc.   I know with DH's company they have a financial advisor rep from the company that you can make an appointment with to go over setting things up and then yearly meetings to reorient goals.

Cancer sucks.
  • image SomethingNew08:

.  Neither are for-profit companies

Both are for-profit, they are not running a charity.