Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Poll: choosing a place to stop while reading

My coworker and I were talking about this. We both like to end at the end of a chapter.

I can't always do it, but I try to all the time. I don't like to stop unless I have read the whole chapter. Just wondered about you ladies.

Re: Poll: choosing a place to stop while reading

• I generally try to stop at the end of a chapter, but if the chapers are too long or if I am really tired, then I just stop wherever I feel is a good place.
  • I always try to reach the end of a chapter before stopping.
  • I stop at the end of a chapter or at a section break, if the chapters are really long. But sometimes when I'm reading in bed, I stop wherever my ability to stay awake wears out!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I prefer the chapter route, but sometimes the eyes shut at will (when I'm reading in bed) and I just can't make it to a chapter's end.
    image image image
  • image Labbie:
    I prefer the chapter route, but sometimes the eyes shut at will (when I'm reading in bed) and I just can't make it to a chapter's end.

Exactly. I prefer to stop at the end of a chapter- but it doesn't always work that way.

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • I try to stop at the end of a chapter.  If they are really long chapters and I'm tired I try to stop at a section break. 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Generally at the end of a chapter. But I often read before bed, so sometimes I just can't make it before falling asleep.
    image Emily 7-10-04
    My Food Blog Visit The Nest!
  • I often read in small chunks of time (10 minutes on the train, 5 minutes on the bus, etc.), so reading a whole chapter is usually out of the question because of time constraints.  I go either to a section break or to the top left page (so I start with the first full paragraph next time).
    image image image
  • Ditto everyone else.  If a chapter isn't possible, I'll try to stop on a page that ends with a complete sentence/thought so I don't get sucked into a new page when I have to stop :)
  • image shivynpepe:
    Ditto everyone else.  If a chapter isn't possible, I'll try to stop on a page that ends with a complete sentence/thought so I don't get sucked into a new page when I have to stop :)

me too!

• I like to end at the chapter break, but if the chapter is really long, I usually end at a pause.

Like that.  :)

• I hate stopping randomly though sometimes you have no choice & if I'm reading in bed, sometimes I just can't last b/c I'm falling asleep!! lol
  • I don't try to make it to a chapter end. I just finish when I can't keep my eyes open! Sometimes when I know I need to get to bed I tell myself I can only go to page 100 (or whatever) and then I have to stop.
    Can I marry them all?

• I prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but when I'm reading during DS's naptime that doesn't always happen, so I aim for at least a page break. ?
  • I try for the end of a chapter or section, but when the page goes blurry I know it's time to stop wherever I am!
  • Ideally, the end of a chapter... or the whole book if it's really good!  LOL.  However, with two little kids, sometimes I have to put it down in the middle of a sentence.  I spend lots of time re-reading!
  • I try to make it to the next chapter, but if I can't I just stop when the paragraph ends or a big paragraph is about to begin.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a huge problem of not being able to stop reading- I must know what happens next! But, if I do stop, I stop anywhere. It doesn't necessarily have to be the end of a chapter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a little compulsive of having to end at a chapter, but I can deal if it's a book with excessively long chapters (say 50+ pages).

I always skim ahead and put my book marker at the next chapter (if there isn't a ToC at the front of the book).

• I always try to stop at the end of a chapter, but if I am too sleepy, I just find a ggod place to stop. Sometimes I fall asleepa and I'll just re-read the last page or two again.
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I prefer to end at a new chapter. Sometimes when I can't I'll just finish the page I'm reading and mark my spot.  I flip the bookmark to face what ever page I left off on so the front of the book mark is always facing the page I need to start at.