Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Theater Tuesday! (back from hiatus)

Now that fall is here, there's more movies to dish about!

A couple of weeks ago I watched  Definately, Maybe and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.  I enjoyed them both and I was definately in teh right mood when I watched Definately, Maybe, it wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it.  Miss Pettigrew was a pleasant surprise and I highly recommend it.

Jim and I went to the theater and watched Burn After Reading.  If you like the Coen brothers, I think you would really like it.  It was witty, well acted, but overall a little too dark for my taste, but still a good flick.  (I thought it was very Fargo-ish). 

Re: Theater Tuesday! (back from hiatus)

• I just watched Fargo last night, and Raising Arizona the night before, I love the Coen Brothers.

• I went to see The Women recently.  It wasn't great, but not terrible either.  I've been told the original was better.
  • image KarrieandBJ:
    I went to see The Women recently.  It wasn't great, but not terrible either.  I've been told the original was better.

As far as chick flicks go, would you rate it worse than Sex and the City and Mama Mia, etc. then?  I was thinking about it for a GNO with my buds, but if it sucks, I'll pass.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't even remember the last movie I watched!  Wow, that's bad.  I did see the most recent Harold and Kumar movie, which I thought was pretty funny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Um, Karate Kid and Karate Kid Part II were on AMC last week and the hubby DVR'd them to watch.

It was fun to see them again - it's AMAZING how cheesy and 80's they are though.  But it made for a lot of laughs.

• Hmm that last movie I watched was The Memory Keeper's Daughter, and I thought it was very good.  But that was a few weeks ago.

Last night I asked my H to go on a date with me next Friday to a movie and out to dinner...lol.  We haven't been to the movies in so.long.

Any recs?  I don't even know what is playing!

• We just saw Burn After Reading - I liked it, Jamie thought it was stupid.  I think he was expecting more of an Oceans 11 type movie  ;)

Speaking of the Coen Brothers....  my uncle lives in LA and does work for production companies with movie sets.  He's been talking to them about using my great-grandparents' old farmhouse and potato fields as a set for a movie.  Crazy, huh?

"All of this is crazy, and amazing" -Mat Kearney Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~ personal blog~ * ~ photography blog ~
  • Kayci, I was thinking about you while we watched Fargo. I've got all sorts of stereotypes about Minnesotans now Stick out tongue
  • image JaredsgirlErin:
    Kayci, I was thinking about you while we watched Fargo. I've got all sorts of stereotypes about Minnesotans now Stick out tongue

Fargo's in NortDakoatah, dontchaknow.  Wink

Lol  ;) 

I haven't seen Fargo since it came out - I don't even remember, what are the stereotypes?

"All of this is crazy, and amazing" -Mat Kearney Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~ personal blog~ * ~ photography blog ~
  • Didn't some of it take place in Minnesota? I'm just teasing, anyway, maybe that they're all blonde and overly nice? hehe
  • Yeah, I think some (all?) of it took place in Minnesota.  But that's our defense when people pick on us for it - "Fargo's in North Dakota"   Stick out tongue

Mostly, people think the accent is funny in the movie.  Some Minnesotans do sound like that, it's true, but not most of us.  My grandpa totally does, and my mom & her family still carry it.  They're 100% Finnish, I'm sure that's why!  My friends here teased my best friend when she visited, and now she's all self conscious about it!

There is the stereotype of "Minnesota Nice"   Angel

But I have to say there are WAY more blondes in West Michigan!

• Sunday evening we watched PS I love you.  I sobbed for the entire two hours.  I found it too personal.  My reaction seems to be somewhat unique, though, so who knows?
  • image MrsKerCo:

image KarrieandBJ:
    I went to see The Women recently.  It wasn't great, but not terrible either.  I've been told the original was better.

As far as chick flicks go, would you rate it worse than Sex and the City and Mama Mia, etc. then?  I was thinking about it for a GNO with my buds, but if it sucks, I'll pass.

I haven't seen either of those.  I went to see it with two of my friends, and we all thought it was ok, but not great.  I would think if there is another movie, I would try another one.

• I watched this with my husband a month or so ago, and I bawled the entire movie. But I absolutely LOVED it. I originally wanted to go see it in theaters, luckily my husband convinced me to wait for dvd.
  • Umm, I need to get better at the "quoting" feature. That was in reference to the post about PS I Love You. Smile
  • image Suze04:
    Sunday evening we watched PS I love you.  I sobbed for the entire two hours.  I found it too personal.  My reaction seems to be somewhat unique, though, so who knows?

I have talked to many many people who sobbed the whole way through (including yours truly Wink)  But I loved it.

• Thanks for making me feel better about crying the whole through PS I Love You:)  Yeah, so glad I didn't see that one in theaters.
  • DH and I rented Baby Mama and Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden (with the guy from Super Size Me).  Baby Mama was a bit predictable, but still cute.  Where in the World was really interesting, but I love films like that (I liked Sicko too).

I also watched Capote on On Demand.  Though it wasn't what I expected (partly because I had no idea what it was about anyway), I thought it was really good.  No wonder the guy got an Oscar.

Oh, and I also sobbed through PS I love You, and I went to the theater to see it.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker