Philadelphia Nesties

Average PECO Bill?

Hello!  I just moved into a 700 sf apt Philly and recieved my 1st PECO bill for a time period of 10 days.  It is for $171 and says I used 1076 kWh.  I am hoping/assuming this is a mistake and includes the time from when the last tenant moved, but I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what I should expect for an average monthly bill.  (I am coming from NJ and used PSEG there)

Sorry if this is a silly question.  I am going to call PECO today, but I wanted to arm myself with as much info as I can before I call.  Thanks so much!

Re: Average PECO Bill?

• that doesn't sound right at all, they may be taking on the prior tenant's balance by mistake.

I pay around that per month in the summer months when the central air is bumping and home is about 1700 square foot.

David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • THAT IS A HUGE MISTAKE. 

we have 1300 sqf and dont ever pay that for a month. even in the summer w/ ac on.

this summer's high was 123, in the spring average was about 60.  

• We're right outside of Philly and usually our bill is only about that much for a whole month.  This summer's highest bill was $470 with the A/C running only after we got home from work and on low at night during those really hot days.  I almost cried when I saw that bill!
  • Just got my PECO bill yesterday, $68.61 (1700 square foot house).

PS, welcome to Philly.  

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • No way that is right - for 10 days in this weather!?  I would definitely call them. 

DD: 6-24-11

EDD: 9-20-14

• Peco Bill in the summer (without central air) is around $80 a month. In the winter with the heat on its usually $450.

ETA: we live in a roughly 1700 sqft home.

My little nuggets

• I am not sure of the square footage of our apartment, (the entire floor of a large row home/duplex) but it is in Philly and my average PECO bill without central air (but with electric W/D that run a lot) is about $75.00.  In the summer with the central air on, our highest bill was $250.00, but usually are around $150.00.  I would definetly check on your bill, because it seems awfully high for only 10 days.

In our 800 sq foot house that we just bought that is empty now except for when we are over there doing work, the electirc bill was $6.00!  Having no appliances like a fridge probably helped our cause.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree, that's a bit high, but also check all the seals in your windows and doors to insure you don't have any leaks.

We are on the budget billing plan, and for our 900 sq ft apartment it runs about $90 a month.

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10 
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011 

• Thanks so much for the quick feedback!  We are coming from a 3br house in NJ and we had bills like that, but I just dont see any way that we could have used that kind of electric in our tiny apt in just 10 days!  

Hopefully PECO won't be too much of a pain to deal with...

• something is up, you may need a new meter or there might be a back payment on the account. 

you aren't required to pay the back payment but you will have to prove with your lease when you moved etc.  

p.s. in that size of a place budget billing is not worth it at all.  

• You didn't happen to move to a loft apartment in No Libs, did you?

I only ask because I lived in 2 bedroom loft apartment there for 2 years and we were paying PECO bills that were around $300 a month. The summer would be $400+ to cool the place.  And our cooking was all gas.  We found out that our bi-level loft actually needed 2 HVAC units to heat and cool the place and it only had 1.  We ended up breaking our lease and moving out.  A bunch of us in the building were going to try to sue the owner of the building, but it was far too complicated to deal with. We lost a lot of money there.

• image jewels2730:

You didn't happen to move to a loft apartment in No Libs, did you?

I only ask because I lived in 2 bedroom loft apartment there for 2 years and we were paying PECO bills that were around $300 a month. The summer would be $400+ to cool the place.  And our cooking was all gas.  We found out that our bi-level loft actually needed 2 HVAC units to heat and cool the place and it only had 1.  We ended up breaking our lease and moving out.  A bunch of us in the building were going to try to sue the owner of the building, but it was far too complicated to deal with. We lost a lot of money there.

Oh good lord.  Yes, we are in a 1 Bedroom bi-level loft in No Libs, possibly the same complex as you were in (Piazza?). If it is the same place, I may in a different building than you were since we have an electric range.  That is just crazy to me if this is correct.  We have had our heating/cooling off most of the time and the bill was only for 10 days.  PECO said that they are going to send someone out to re-read it since they say it was an estimate. I just can't get over that someone would construct such an inefficient building.

Thanks for the heads up.  If this is what we are going to end up paying, I guess the good news is that we are only planning to stay here through the summer when we hope to move out of state. That really sucks, though.

• image Krista&Alex:
    image jewels2730:

You didn't happen to move to a loft apartment in No Libs, did you?

Oh good lord.  Yes, we are in a 1 Bedroom bi-level loft in No Libs, possibly the same complex as you were in (Piazza?). If it is the same place, I may in a different building than you were since we have an electric range.  That is just crazy to me if this is correct.  We have had our heating/cooling off most of the time and the bill was only for 10 days.  PECO said that they are going to send someone out to re-read it since they say it was an estimate. I just can't get over that someone would construct such an inefficient building.

Thanks for the heads up.  If this is what we are going to end up paying, I guess the good news is that we are only planning to stay here through the summer when we hope to move out of state. That really sucks, though.

Oh no!  Good news though, that wasn't our building so definitely get it checked out.  About a zillion people live there, so I can't imagine that if there were some really horrible issues we wouldn't have heard about it. We lived at the Becker Building, at 3rd & Girard.  The guy who built Becker is a real dirtbag and I have no problem blasting that out on the great interwebs.  A bunch of the residents at the time banded together and tried to pursue a lawsuit, but what we ended up hearing from a lot of people is that this guy knows the "right" people and basically it would be a joke and we would lose.  A lot of people don't like Blatstein who did the piazza, but at least he had a real hand in turning that neighborhood around and bringing a wonderful thing to the community. 

Our friends lived at your complex (and so did Tony Danza, ha!) and they had the absolutely coolest apartment.  I don't remember them complaining at bills, but I can ask them.  They did complain about the walls being paper thin, but they also lived in the original building before the built the others.  They said they knew all of details of neighbors personal lives by just sitting in their living room. 

So I wouldn't worry about it just yet until you get stuff checked out.  In a loft, it's going to take more to heat and cool but unless they built that place azz backwards (like my old building) then you shouldn't see that big of an issue.  Also check out the No Libs message board to see if anyone is complaining about those sorts of issues on there.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

• "Also check out the No Libs message board to see if anyone is complaining about those sorts of issues on there"

In case you are not familiar with Philly Speaks, here is the link.

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/fishtown-northern-liberties-kensington-port-richmond/
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Jewels-- you have no idea how happy I am that it isnt the same building!   That really sucks about your old building and sounds like a total nightmare.  Hopefully, we can get our bill straightened out.

We like the Piazza so far--it is so different from owning in the suburbs of jerz!  I bet your friends lived in the old Schmidt's building.  We originally were supposed to move there, but we were really concerned about the noise level (when were were looking at the place, we heard the person below answer the phone in a normal speaking voice then heard the entire convo), so we switched to one of the newer buildings last minute.