What's Cooking?
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NCR: is anyone else annoyed with teenage trick or treaters?

It's 9:30 and my doorbell is still ringing with late junior high/high school aged trick or treaters. I guess this is a sign of me being old, but I'm so annoyed.

You're too old to trick or treat!!! You're almost old enough to get a job and buy your own f-ing candy.

Re: NCR: is anyone else annoyed with teenage trick or treaters?

• i don't mind as long as they dress up.  the ones without costume though...they annoy me.  and the parents of babies ToT'ing...yeah, that's annoying too.  not like kids that little are eating candy. 
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • image nital:
    i don't mind as long as they dress up.  the ones without costume though...they annoy me.  and the parents of babies ToT'ing...yeah, that's annoying too.  not like kids that little are eating candy. 

LOL, there was just a post about that on d&r. Like an infant is really going to dig into a snickers bar or some skittles.

I also was surprised at adults with bags for candy. Weird. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image nital:
    i don't mind as long as they dress up.  . 

This! And it has to be a real costume....not in you pajamas. 

• image mrssisler:

image nital:

I agree.  If you're going to go all out then hell yes I'll give you a mini-snickers bar.

Or you could just turn off your porch light.  At 9:30 I would be over it regardless if it was teens or not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • image nital:
      and the parents of babies ToT'ing...yeah, that's annoying too.  not like kids that little are eating candy. 

We went out with DS and another family with 2 girls.  We dressed up DS, but didn't bring a bag because we weren't expecting candy.  Everyone kept giving us candy anyway.  We ended up giving it to the girls who were with us, since they had bags and could carry it.

• image Molly Jean:
    image mrssisler:

image nital:

I agree.  If you're going to go all out then hell yes I'll give you a mini-snickers bar.

Or you could just turn off your porch light.  At 9:30 I would be over it regardless if it was teens or not.

My porch light is off! It's the annoying teenagers that are ringing every doorbell in the neighborhood.

• image leighanneh:
    image Molly Jean:
    image mrssisler:

image nital:

My porch light is off! It's the annoying teenagers that are ringing every doorbell in the neighborhood.

Oh damn.  Now THAT would piss me off!!!

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • I have so much extra candy that I don't care who takes it.  I was tempted to give some to the politician who stopped by earlier.  (Trick or treating in our town happened yesterday.)
  • image kokomama:

image nital:
      and the parents of babies ToT'ing...yeah, that's annoying too.  not like kids that little are eating candy. 

We went out with DS and another family with 2 girls.  We dressed up DS, but didn't bring a bag because we weren't expecting candy.  Everyone kept giving us candy anyway.  We ended up giving it to the girls who were with us, since they had bags and could carry it.

that's perfectly fine in my world.  i adore seeing the tiny kids dressed up, and i do offer candy to the adults, but i also don't mind if they say no thank you.  the ones that come with the cute kid and pillowcase though...they get the sideeye.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • Our babies don't eat candy yet, so we dressed them up for fun and walked to the neighbors that we know so that they could see them dressed up. They gave them candy,they and insisted on it, knowing we would be eating it.

What annoys me more is the girls who dress up in skanky costumes and trick or treat :(

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2d8qqad.jpg[/IMG]
  • The parents of babies irritate me, too.  Teenagers don't irritate me as long as they're in costume and are polite. 

DH and I went out for dinner and a movie with friends last night, and without thinking, planned to meet in a local college town.  When we left the theater after 11, the whole area was swarming with skanky girls in slutoween costumes, and that bugs me more than anything else.

• image bunney:

Our babies don't eat candy yet, so we dressed them up for fun and walked to the neighbors that we know so that they could see them dressed up.

We need photos.  ASAP. 

:)

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • image FieryIrishAngel:

DH and I went out for dinner and a movie with friends last night, and without thinking, planned to meet in a local college town.  When we left the theater after 11, the whole area was swarming with skanky girls in slutoween costumes, and that bugs me more than anything else.

I'm okay with slutty chicks wearing slutty costumes.  Ringing my doorbell looking for candy?  No.  But you were in a college town afterall.  And it was after 11 pm.   I consider this par for the course when it comes to co-eds + halloween + booze. 

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • image Molly Jean:
    image FieryIrishAngel:

I'm okay with slutty chicks wearing slutty costumes.  Ringing my doorbell looking for candy?  No.  But you were in a college town afterall.  And it was after 11 pm.   I consider this par for the course when it comes to co-eds + halloween + booze. 

Oh I'm not saying that they don't have a right to dress slutty.  It just bugs me more than teens ringing my doorbell for candy.  Personal pet peeve, that's all :)

• Yes! And none of our kids say, "Trick or Treat?" and weren't even prompted by parents! I'm talking like 4 year olds!!
  • I can't believe you guys got so many trick or treaters! I saw a ton of little kids walking around with their parents last evening, but no one came to our apartment complex. Which is unfortunate, because I bought a ridiculous amount of candy and DH has been eating a piece every time he walks past the table. Huh?
    MiaCucina

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/25g48m0.jpg[/IMG]
  • My pet peeve was the people who continued to ring the doorbell after the light was turned off. I thought that was a known Halloween rule that you only ring door bells where the porch lights are still on.
  • image TheMorrisseys:
    Yes! And none of our kids say, "Trick or Treat?" and weren't even prompted by parents! I'm talking like 4 year olds!!

This was my pet peeve for the night!  They ring the bell, I open the door and they just stand there.  Um...ok.

As long as the teenagers dress up and put some effort into it, then I'm OK with them trick or treating.  

I had a few try to ask for more than one piece.  Sorry, Buster...not happening.

• no they don't annoy me. it's halloween and they're out having fun! who cares? it's one night!
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image Bella.in.CT:

I had a few try to ask for more than one piece.  Sorry, Buster...not happening.

lol!  one little girl pouted when DH offered one piece of candy.  so then he said he'd take it back if she pouted.  her big brother said she did that to get more candy.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • image bmk112302:
    My pet peeve was the people who continued to ring the doorbell after the light was turned off. I thought that was a known Halloween rule that you only ring door bells where the porch lights are still on.

I thought this was the universal halloween language as well, but last night at my parents house, their neighbors across the street had a huge banner that said "No Trick-or-Treaters" (yes, they're LOADS of fun, lol) and I was like, wow, that's really unnecessary, they could just turn their light out, and my mom said that doesn't always work anymore. WTF?! Surprise

BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • image bunney:

Our babies don't eat candy yet, so we dressed them up for fun and walked to the neighbors that we know so that they could see them dressed up. They gave them candy,they and insisted on it, knowing we would be eating it.

This was what we did too.  And most of the candy we did get, we ended up giving out to other ToTers since we had way more than last year and almost ran out of candy.

We closed the door, put the jack o lantern back inside and turned off the light once we got a pair of teenagers who tried to convince me they were Naavi.  Um, no, your vaguely blue-gray leggings and blue t-shirt are not a costume.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2eduq85.jpg[/IMG]
  • The teenagers get a little obnoxious but if they are polite and in costume, I'm ok with it.

DH was making kids say "trick or treat" or they wouldnt get candy.  If they didn't then offer a "thank you" he would go "and now what do you say?" it was pretty funny since half of their parents were right there with them.  It amazes me that parents let their kids be so rude.

• My neighbors told me that there's a new local law (or ordinance maybe) that restricts trick-or-treaters to age 14.  After that, you're not allowed to go out anymore.  How on earth would you enforce that??

When I was in high school, we'd see 20 and 30 year olds going door to door.  No joke.

• I don't mind at all, although we didn't have anyone after 8:30 (apparently this year the city defined trick or treating hours). As long as people dress up, they get candy. I was more annoyed with the kids who told us we were cheap and wanted 2 pieces of candy. Insulting me is not going to get you more candy, kid! We had over 250 kids come by, we can't afford to buy 2-3 pieces for that many people.

I felt sad about the one girl who looked about 15 or 16, and was about 8 months pregnant.

• image wamozart12:

I felt sad about the one girl who looked about 15 or 16, and was about 8 months pregnant.

Indifferent  Maybe it was a costume - Juno, perhaps?

• image kokomama:
    image wamozart12:

Indifferent  Maybe it was a costume - Juno, perhaps?

I really hoped so at first, but it looked too real to be a costume, and she had random makeup and ears of some sort.

• Well, I'm sad that some of you are annoyed with the moms who take their babies out trick or treating, because I was one of them.  We had a blast and everyone in our neighborhood loved seeing Judah dressed up as the Chick-fil-a cow.  We didn't go to many houses because he's just too heavy to carry and his stroller would've ruined his costume, but I think it's quite alright for new parents to get excited to take their babies out for Halloween.  Seriously, I can't believe some of you are annoyed with that?

I'm also not annoyed with the teenagers, even if they aren't dressed up.  I'd rather they be out trick or treating than getting into trouble somewhere else.  Who cares if they're having fun and not causing trouble?  You only get to be a teenager once, let them have some fun!  And, the ones who don't dress up?  Well, maybe they can't afford it, or maybe their friends asked them last minute, or who knows!  Gosh, sorry, I just feel like we are quick to judge sometimes and we never know what these poor teenagers are going through and what kind of impact this night of fun may have held.

On another note, as a response to the original post, I would definitely be annoyed if they kept ringing my doorbell even after I turned off my lights.  Argh...

• It's totally fine to take your baby out to show them off, but not to grub for candy, which I have definitely seen people do. Hellz no I am not giving you free candy because you showed up on my doorstep with a baby in a costume! You're an adult, go get your own candy! I will, however, ooh and ahh over your baby  ;-)  But if you have on a costume, especially one that coordinates with your baby's, then candy will be forthcoming. Candy = costume for any age. No costume, no candy. And you'd better say, "Trick or treat," and "Thank you" or there will be lashings with a wet noodle. Ok, not really, but you will get a, "What do you say?"

What happened to Halloween etiquette?

• huh. I didn't feel like I was annoying anyone... We went to 3 houses on our street with Levi because it was his first Halloween and it seemed like the festive thing to do. They gave him (us) candy, but it's not like we were trick-or-treating for hours, using our son to get candy.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10

Visit The Nest!