May 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What did you do...

..with your wedding dress?

How much did you pay to have it cleaned?  If you had it preserved, how much did you pay for that?  I realize the cost probably varies by location.

I'm trying to get a ballpark because I need to get mine cleaned. I don't plan on having it preserved. I'm not sure if I'll sell it or use the fabric to make something else (like a baby blanket, etc.).

Re: What did you do...

• Mine's still in the closet where I put it when we got home from the hotel.

<3 <3 "You know my name, not my story.
    You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through.
    If you were in my shoes, you'd fall the first step." <3 <3

• image becky515:
    Mine's still in the closet where I put it when we got home from the hotel.

Ditto that Becky!! 

• It's sad, though, I paid $600 for my dress, wore it for one day and now it's hanging in the closet.  I should have done something cheaper.  :(  I'm still paying for it.

• i paid to get it cleaned and preserved, cost me like $300. Tongue Tied
  • It's hanging in the attic.  I need to get it cleaned but don't think I will get it preserved right away.  I wore a blue crinoline with it, I would like to reuse this, maybe for Halloween next year.
  • Mine is somewhere at my parents' house.  My mom is going to take it to be cleaned, but hasn't gotten around to it yet.  I'm definitely not having it preserved.  It's too expensive and I want to be able to put it on someday if I feel like it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My dress it at my parents' house. I don't think it's been cleaned (I didn't ask and my mom hasn't said anything). No idea what I'm going to do with it. My mom saved her dress and had offered to cut it up to be used in our wedding canopy. We didn't use it, but I like the idea.
  • Mine's still hanging in the guest room closet, which is where I put it after we got home from the wedding. I haven't done anything to it yet, but I need to at least clean it soon.

I only paid about $100 for it, so I would feel sort of silly spending three times that much to have it preserved. It's a basic, fairly classic style, so the romantic in me thinks that maybe I'll have a daughter who would want it someday. Or a granddaughter (I would have totally worn my grandma's dress if she hadn't THROWN IT OUT a few years ago without consulting me).

The practical side of me realizes that the progeny of Matt will not fit into a size 2 dress. 

• I donated mine to brides against breast cancer :)
    Photobucket
  • My dress is thrown on the bed in our guest bedroom. I had to cut off the straps that holds it up because they wouldn't stay inside my dress. So, now I can't hang it up.

I've called around to local cleaners and the estimates were around $200 for cleaning and preservation. Just don't have the extra money to do it yet...

• Haha I had to cut the straps out of mine, too, so it was on my guest bed for a long time.  I finally got it cleaned and I don't remember the cost, but it was between 100-200 bucks.  Sad times.  Now it's hanging in the closet.  I'm going to sell it soon, through online classifieds & such.  I paid $495 for it plus over $200 in alterations, and then the cleaning.....but my mom and sister think I should ask like $350 for it.  BAH.  I'm so depressed at all the money I'm going to lose.
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • I was going to sell it but I haven't yet. I paid $175 to have it cleaned I think. It's hanging in my guest bedroom. I plan to do a post- bridal shoot with all of my friends who got married this week
  • Mine is sealed up in a rubbermaid tote in our storage room. I paid $250 and I'm too cheap to have it preserved. I didn't have it cleaned since I only wore it for 2-3 hours (I know I still probably should though). So I just folded it nicely and put it in the tote with my veil, garter, and shoes.
    Two souls but a single thought; Two hearts that beat as one image
  • How did all of you find such awesome dresses for so cheap??? I paid like $980 for the dress and then $300 for alterations. I haven't had it cleaned/preserved yet.

I have it listed on preownedweddingdresses.com and have gotten a few inquiries on it, but not sold yet. Hopefully it will soon.

• Mine is at my parents' house somewhere.  It hasn't been cleaned yet, but it REALLY needs to get done, because I DEMOLISHED the bottom of it walking around after it rained.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image hrchick72:

image becky515:

Ditto that Becky!! 

Same for me.. I have no idea what to do with it!!

Anniversary
  • Mine is hanging in our front hall closet. I have done nothing to it, but I should probably get itcleaned because we took pictures out in a huge field and got it filthy. It's probably beyond repair but it was only about $300 brand new so I'm not upset :) I LOVED my dress, I would have spent more but I didn't need to...I found the one I loved and it wasn't until after I decided it was "the" dress that I even looked at the price tag!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hahahaha - I have done nothing with my wedding dress, either! It's currently hanging up in the spare bedroom closet!  I never got it cleaned...I have no idea what to do with it since I do want to save it for sentimental purposes and I sweated like a mofo on my wedding day...I'm sure it's not good to leave it sitting around 5 months later like that...
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • image MrsGoontz:

How did all of you find such awesome dresses for so cheap??? I paid like $980 for the dress and then $300 for alterations. I haven't had it cleaned/preserved yet.

I have it listed on preownedweddingdresses.com and have gotten a few inquiries on it, but not sold yet. Hopefully it will soon.

I think my dress was originally $399 but I got it at Davids during their huge sale. It had been marked down to $299, but because that style had been discontinued I got another $50 off =]

• image hrchick72:

image becky515:

Ditto that Becky!! 

Same here...it's hanging in a closet @ my parents house.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i paid to get it cleaned and preserved, cost me like $200
  • Mine is hanging in our guest closet. I looked into cleaning but it was too expensive for me right now, like 150. 

My MIL is driving up from FL for Thanksgiving so she is going to take it back to my mom who will get it cleaned and preserved and pay for it all.  

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/poohbare63/2011-09-09205308-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image katyp51:
    image MrsGoontz:

How did all of you find such awesome dresses for so cheap??? I paid like $980 for the dress and then $300 for alterations. I haven't had it cleaned/preserved yet.

I think my dress was originally $399 but I got it at Davids during their huge sale. It had been marked down to $299, but because that style had been discontinued I got another $50 off =]

I got mine at David's too.  It was $800 originally, but with all the discounts and stuff, I think we paid right at $600 for it.
  • image stu31105:
    image katyp51:
    image MrsGoontz:

I got mine at David's too.  It was $800 originally, but with all the discounts and stuff, I think we paid right at $600 for it.

I got mine  at David's as well, and I think I paid about $575 for it, plus the viel, shoes and about $100 for the bustle (or cheaper because she messed it up).  I still owe $600 on my DB credit card.  :(

• image becky515:
    image stu31105:
    image katyp51:
    image MrsGoontz:

I got mine  at David's as well, and I think I paid about $575 for it, plus the viel, shoes and about $100 for the bustle (or cheaper because she messed it up).  I still owe $600 on my DB credit card.  :(

I had my dress before we got engaged! Isaac Mizrahi used to design stuff for Target, including a formal and bridal line. I got a MOH dress from there and it fit me like a glove, so I knew that anything from that line would be high-quality and would fit with no alterations. He ended his agreement with Target a couple of years ago, though, and all of the remaining stuff went to clearance. I closed my eyes and hit "check out," telling myself that I could always sell it if I didn't end up using it. The dress itself was about $80, and the sash was $20.

I was ambivalent about it for quite a while, but I ended up loving it. I think I just felt like I was cheated because I didn't have the whole "bridal shop" and "finding THE DRESS" experience everyone else seemed to.

• Kelly, if I could have skipped the whole bridal shop experience, I would have!!!  It was a pain in the a$$.  Too many girls in the store... they made you stand on this pedestal thing in front of everyone so if the dress looked horrible on you, everyone got to see it.  It was hot and gross.  Luckily, my dress that I wore was the second dress I tried on. 
  • image Kelly5110:

I had my dress before we got engaged! Isaac Mizrahi used to design stuff for Target, including a formal and bridal line. I got a MOH dress from there and it fit me like a glove, so I knew that anything from that line would be high-quality and would fit with no alterations. He ended his agreement with Target a couple of years ago, though, and all of the remaining stuff went to clearance. I closed my eyes and hit "check out," telling myself that I could always sell it if I didn't end up using it. The dress itself was about $80, and the sash was $20.

I was ambivalent about it for quite a while, but I ended up loving it. I think I just felt like I was cheated because I didn't have the whole "bridal shop" and "finding THE DRESS" experience everyone else seemed to.

My dress was the very first one I tried on at my first and only appointment. We got engaged on April 30th and I went to  Davids on May 30th. Since the dress was discontinued they only had one in my size left in the store, so if I wanted it, I had to buy it that day. I wasn't nervous about it because I knew it was the one, and HH confirmed my feelings at the wedding when he told me it was the perfect dress =]

• Mine is still in its garment bag in our guest bedroom. I want to get it cleaned and preserved...just need to save the $$$ first. I loved my dress, wish I could have worn it all weekend! :)

I'm pretty jealous of how great of deals you all got on your dresses! I spent around $2k on my dress, slip, and vail alone...not including shoes or wedding day bling!

Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image megerin111:
    image hrchick72:

image becky515:

Ditto that Becky!! 

I wanted to donate mine to brides for breast cancer but my whole family said no. My kids aren't going to be able to wear it hello 2 size 1/2 and a size 8 nope lol. I need to have it cleaned. It walked on grass and on the las vegas strip it needs a washin!

• image megerin111:
    image hrchick72:

image becky515:

Ditto that Becky!! 

I wanted to donate mine to brides for breast cancer but my whole family said no. My kids aren't going to be able to wear it hello 2 size 1/2 and a size 8 nope lol. I need to have it cleaned. It walked on grass and on the las vegas strip it needs a washin!