What's Cooking?
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Stainless steel pots/pans on a smooth top stove...

...any reason this would be a bad idea?

I've never opened the stainless steel set of pots and pans we received from our wedding.  Why?  Because my other stuff still works great and I'm strange like that.

Our new house has a flat/smooth top stove (our old one had gas).  Any reason that stainless steel would be problematic on this??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Married 10.11.08
Baby LJ 05.21.10
TheRookieChef.com

Re: Stainless steel pots/pans on a smooth top stove...

• I've used my calphalon with no problems....
    [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • Sweet, thanks gals!

Another question re: stainless steel... do I have to be careful with how hot the pans get?  I swore I read something like that once.

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • This is probably obvious to most people, but I began cooking in our apartment with gas. Something that I still struggle a bit with is how much longer the smooth top takes to change temperature. So I have burned many things to the bottom of our pans...
  • nope. no reason at all. use them :)
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • It's cast iron you need to be careful with.  :-)  SS is fine!

As for it getting too hot?  I'm not sure what the issue is...  If you suck at controlling the heat, like I do, any pan can get too hot and overcook/burn the food.  I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to, though.  

Signed, 

Ihatemyglasstopstove  Angry

and

noit'snoteasiertoclean  Super Angry

Food Blog . WC Nestie Blog List
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/TPOX/prius-v][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/103724.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • image TPOX:

It's cast iron you need to be careful with.  :-)  SS is fine!

As for it getting too hot?  I'm not sure what the issue is...  If you suck at controlling the heat, like I do, any pan can get too hot and overcook/burn the food.  I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to, though.  

Signed, 

Ihatemyglasstopstove  Angry

and

noit'snoteasiertoclean  Super Angry

Ah-HA!  Now THAT is what I was thinking of!  Cast iron, not SS.  Good to know! 

And I hate this stove too.  I miss my gas :(

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com