Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

TV show pet peeves-c'mon, you know you have them!

My number opne pet peeve about watching a TV show is when the family is supposed to be "poor" or even middle class, but they are all wearing T-shirts that cost at least $50.00 and designer/name brand shoes.

As much as I like family drama shows, like Parenthood/Brothers and Sisters, I also think it's very unrealistic that the ENTIRE family always gets together for dinner/parties/stops by eachother's houses all the time. They must all have the same schedules even though they all work different jobs, and have kids of different ages. They also only spend time together, like there are no in laws?

Re: TV show pet peeves-c'mon, you know you have them!

• Agreed!   This happens a lot in Glee...  Kurt is constantly wearing $800+ outfits! 

It also bugs me when the pregnancies are unrealistic...  "Oh really size 0 girl, you just got back from the dr and your having a boy???"  hmph!

imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • I'm a nurse, and it drives me crazy that in House, the doctors administer all the medications to the patients.  I doubt doctors even know how to give IV medications.  It also annoys me that the doctors do every single test.  Really- a doctor that does abdominal surgery also does vascular tests?  Really!?
    ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
    Formerly known as Christy_Daisy's_Mom
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image Christy_Daisy's_Mom:
    I'm a nurse, and it drives me crazy that in House, the doctors administer all the medications to the patients.  I doubt doctors even know how to give IV medications.  It also annoys me that the doctors do every single test.  Really- a doctor that does abdominal surgery also does vascular tests?  Really!?

I find it equally unrealistic that 4 doctors are going to devote all of their time, all week to ONE patient. This also goes for cop shows with a handful of cops who only work one case at a time. Give me a break.

• I hate when the families are lower or middle class, but obvious struggling, and yet they have nice SUVs and a beautiful, big house.

What?!!?!?

Oh, and laugh tracks. I HATE laugh tracks. I'm smart enough to know when to laugh, thank ya very much!

Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • image amaretto*sour:

Oh, and laugh tracks. I HATE laugh tracks. I'm smart enough to know when to laugh, thank ya very much!

This! Although, are there still sitcoms that do this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DX: Lean PCOS & Anovulatory
    TTC #1: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + B2B IUI = BFP!
    MPZ born June 25, 2011
    TTC #2: Picking up where we left off...
    Cycle 1-3: Gonal-F + Pregnyl + B2B IUI = BFN
    On a break before starting IVF...
  • i consider myself an intelligent person, so i don't like it when characters in the show explain things that have happened as if i, as the viewer, am too stupid to figure it out.  backstory, i can understand, but things that just happened?  got it, thanks.
  • HIMYM has a laugh track

my biggest pet peeve:

CHIMPS

I HATE when they have chimps on sitcoms/tv shows. HAAAATE 

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • image fl4lovers:
    ...I also think it's very unrealistic that the ENTIRE family always gets together for dinner/parties/stops by eachother's houses all the time. They must all have the same schedules even though they all work different jobs, and have kids of different ages. They also only spend time together, like there are no in laws?

The family that used to live next door to us was like that with the wife's family.  They all did everything together and were all in everyone's business.   They also imploded and the family relations are very strained now.

When I was growing up, my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins who lived in San Diego were like that.  It was fun when we visited, but I was always kind of glad that we didn't live there....more so now that I'm grown up and really understand the dynamics there.

• i don't like it when a sitcom has reached the end of its run and the creators try to reinvigorate/reenergize the show by having the main couple have a kid (they did it on "roseanne" and "the fresh prince of bel air," to name a few). 

i don't like the addition of a random character, especially a kid.  it's annoying, not cute.

• ITA agree about House.  I actually don't watch it anymore but it also drove me crazy when they just went over to the patient's house and started searching around.
  • image kizz11:

i don't like it when a sitcom has reached the end of its run and the creators try to reinvigorate/reenergize the show by having the main couple have a kid (they did it on "roseanne" and "the fresh prince of bel air," to name a few). 

i don't like the addition of a random character, especially a kid.  it's annoying, not cute.

LOL, the "Cousin Oliver!"  Yes, that drives me crazy.

I also think it's hilarious when an actor/actress gets replaced and they try to act like noboy will notice.  When you mentioned Fresh Prince of Bel Air, that made me think of when the actress that played the mom suddenly changed.  Although, on Roseanne I remember them making jokes about Becky being a different actress.  "Becky has just been like a whole different person." 

As others have mentioned, it annoys me when characters don't seem to live within their means.  Like Glee: I'm so sure a high school guidance counselor would be able to have a closet full of Milly and Kate Spade clothes. 

And I didn't notice until I started watching the reruns, but the characters on Friends lived in such ridiculous apartments considering the jobs they supposedly had.  Monica was a chef but I have never known a chef that had so much free time to hang out with their friends every night.  Hmmm...

• image aeroluv327:

I also think it's hilarious when an actor/actress gets replaced and they try to act like noboy will notice.  When you mentioned Fresh Prince of Bel Air, that made me think of when the actress that played the mom suddenly changed.  Although, on Roseanne I remember them making jokes about Becky being a different actress.  "Becky has just been like a whole different person." 

hahaha!  i remember that too!  i think that switch bothered me because i liked the original vivienne much more than her replacement.

• image amaretto*sour:

I hate when the families are lower or middle class, but obvious struggling, and yet they have nice SUVs and a beautiful, big house.

What?!!?!?

Same here!  I also hate whenever someone kisses and they all make the stupid "WoOoOoOo!" sound and whistle.  It's annoying!  Full House with Jesse and Rebecca automatically comes to mind...

And when a show introduces drama and then doesn't follow up on it.  I also don't like car chasing scenes that are completely unrealistic, but that's more for movies.  I don't like much that's too unrealistic...but that's probably why I watch a lot of trashy reality TV Big Smile 

• image aeroluv327:

And I didn't notice until I started watching the reruns, but the characters on Friends lived in such ridiculous apartments considering the jobs they supposedly had. 

I think they explained that in an early episode -- Monica was living in her grandmother's rent-controlled apartment and neglected to let the landlords know that grandma didn't live there anymore. I think it was the episode where Joey had to practice ballroom dancing with the super. I watch way too much Friends... *sigh*

I just hate any drama where the male and female co-workers inevitably sleep together, because obviously men and women can't work together without falling into bed together. It's just lazy writing and pandering to the lowest common denominator, and it's prevalent on network shows because network writers have zero respect for their audiences.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
    1. Shows where words are misused or pronounced incorrectly, especially when the person is supposed to be intelligent. (Ex. Rizzoli & Isles)
    2. Any show in a school where the teacher has only one class; seemingly zero exams/papers to grade.  As if. (Ex. Glee)
    3. Shows that show apartments in NYC that are way beyond their income/means.  (Ex. Friends)
  • image 315bride:
    1. Shows that show apartments in NYC that are way beyond their income/means.  (Ex. Friends)

That always killed me with Sex and the City.  Carrie had an UWS apartment and all those fabulous clothes and shoes from her newspaper column?  Really??

• image zitiqueen:

I just hate any drama where the male and female co-workers inevitably sleep together, because obviously men and women can't work together without falling into bed together. It's just lazy writing and pandering to the lowest common denominator, and it's prevalent on network shows because network writers have zero respect for their audiences.

This.  I'd be terrified of going to a hospital because the doctors spend so much time sleeping with each other they just can't be taking care of the patients.

Master of Disguise
  • I hate those hoot and hollers and 'oooohhs' when characters on sitcoms kiss.

I hate when female characters are pregnant but they don't know it. This is usually accompanied by a fainting spell or something like that- BAM- she's pregnant.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I hate when characters just hang up the phone and don't say goodbye. Once I started paying attention to this I realized it happens A LOT.
  • image Luckily:
    I hate when characters just hang up the phone and don't say goodbye. Once I started paying attention to this I realized it happens A LOT.

Ha. I pointed this out to DH and now it drives him insane. People NEVER say goodbye. 

, [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/wl6gzs.gif[/IMG]
  • image Luckily:
    I hate when characters just hang up the phone and don't say goodbye. Once I started paying attention to this I realized it happens A LOT.

This too! Once I noticed this I couldn't stop!

• image fl4lovers:

image Luckily:

Great, now I'm going to start noticing this! LOL.

Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • I'm ok with teenagers not living within their means - I teach in a low income neighborhood where 95% of the students are on free and reduced lunch, yet they all have ipods, expensive phones, designer clothes and shoes.  It's normal to have a coach backpack, but the kids can't afford to take the bus to school...

I hate the unnecessary exposition, as pp said.  Really, when that character said he wished the victim was dead, it made him look suspicious? Or they'll show something and then have a character explain what just happened to someone else... in case you were in the bathroom when that happened, I guess?

On Parenthood, I hate that they can't go two scenes without somebody causing Major Drama.  I can't watch it with DH anymore b/c the all the fighting drives him nuts.  I love Lauren Graham, but her character is such a moron.

I hate when I can tell who the killer is by the casting.  Let's see... there are three suspects, two are played by people I've never seen before and the third is thatguyfromthatothershowIwatch.  He did it.

• image amaretto*sour:
    image fl4lovers:

image Luckily:

Phones are always answered on the first ring and doors are always answered within one second of being knocked on. Prices at the checkout are always exact dollar amounts and change is never given. Women just reach into their purse and pull out the exact amount needed without looking. Gifts are never wrapped or unwrapped -- the lid is wrapped separately from the bottom of the box and just lifted off. Everybody buys a baguette and a bouquet of flowers when they go grocery shopping.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image zitiqueen:
    image amaretto*sour:
    image fl4lovers:

image Luckily:

Phones are always answered on the first ring and doors are always answered within one second of being knocked on. Prices at the checkout are always exact dollar amounts and change is never given. Women just reach into their purse and pull out the exact amount needed without looking. Gifts are never wrapped or unwrapped -- the lid is wrapped separately from the bottom of the box and just lifted off. Everybody buys a baguette and a bouquet of flowers when they go grocery shopping.

LOL this is hilarious and so true!

I hate how they say, "Let's get together later" or whatever when the guy is asking the girl out, or making plans and somehow they show up at the right time. Like no details were given the last time they spoke, such as "I'll pick you up at 8 at your house", but the girl seems to know he is supposed to be there at 8. 

• image kizz11:

image aeroluv327:

hahaha!  i remember that too!  i think that switch bothered me because i liked the original vivienne much more than her replacement.

Jazzy Jeff pointed out on an episode that something was different with Aunt Viv. 

image image image
  • image SCM1011:
    image 315bride:
    1. Shows that show apartments in NYC that are way beyond their income/means.  (Ex. Friends)

That always killed me with Sex and the City.  Carrie had an UWS apartment and all those fabulous clothes and shoes from her newspaper column?  Really??

Seriously. And Carrie was always broke! She couldn't afford new shoes or whatever and they mentioned it a lot, but she was always eating out and still buying the new shoes. When she had to take Charlotte's wedding ring after her and Trey were over to buy her apartment---PLEASE. She could have just sold some of her fancy crap. 

• The horrible fake background sets.  The way they act like they're drinking coffee but you can tell the cup is empty.  Pushing food around on the plate instead of eating it.  CSI: Miami and that fake orange/yellow color.
    image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • Seriously-it's called Ebay!

How about when two people get together that would not have a chance in hell in real life? What SHE is attracted to HIM? or vice versa....

Why are there always two staircases in houses? LOL

• The empty cups when drinking drives me crazy!

Yea, switching characters is very weird but I like it when the show acknowledges it. On My Wife and Kids, when the new oldest daughter was switched for a different actress and came into the kitchen they say something along the lines of "Well, you sure do look different!". lol...

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/rka6nk.jpg[/IMG]
    6/50