Toledo Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Burning pictures onto a cd ?

I am putting all the girls pics onto a cd finally. I am using a CD-R. But someone over on the preschool board just said they are only good for 5 years on a cd?!?! Really?!?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Burning pictures onto a cd ?

• the expected life of a CD that is kept in good conditions is 5-10 years, although they can last 20+ years. An external hard drive is a better method of backup or you can use cloud storage such as flickr or smugmug.
  • I know it depends on probably the size of an external hard drive, but on average does that hold a lots of pictures? like couple years worth? I think I want to have another back up to the cd's then. And do you have any recs?

• image houndbaby:
    the expected life of a CD that is kept in good conditions is 5-10 years, although they can last 20+ years. An external hard drive is a better method of backup or you can use cloud storage such as flickr or smugmug.

I never knew that!!!   We did recently buy an external HD, and I guess I'm very glad we did!

Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • image Merin:

image houndbaby:
    the expected life of a CD that is kept in good conditions is 5-10 years, although they can last 20+ years. An external hard drive is a better method of backup or you can use cloud storage such as flickr or smugmug.

I never knew that!!!   We did recently buy an external HD, and I guess I'm very glad we did!

Yea I think we will have to invest in an external HD. I  have been having major freakouts that something is going to go wrong with my computer and I will lose almost every single picture I have taken over the last 2 years....so I need to get them on a cd and then hopefully an external HD in the next few months.

Oh and I am making 2 copies of each cd..one for the fire safe and one for me just to have.

• image marriedchick06:

I know it depends on probably the size of an external hard drive, but on average does that hold a lots of pictures? like couple years worth? I think I want to have another back up to the cd's then. And do you have any recs?

This is the one I have and I am really happy with it. I wouldn't think you would have more than 10-20G in photos if they are just jpegs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IYDEP4/ref=oss_product

• If your worried about losing your photos in a fire, I would use an external as primary backup and cloud storage as secondary backup.
  • We have an external hd too, but I am really bad at backing things up to it. I need to start doing it more. I also plan on backing everything up to an online site too. A IT guy at work recommended Mozy.com. It is only $4.95/mth.