South Jersey Nesties

Nurse Practitioner vs. MD

So after months (ok, maybe years) of putting off finding a new OB/GYN down here and making an appt,  I finally decided to stop procrastinating today.

I felt like a waiter was taking my order. Except instead of  "soup or salad?"  and "mashed or baked potato?" I had to choose between day or evening? male or female? nurse practitioner or doctor?

The first 2 questions were easy but I wasn't sure about the 3rd one. I said it didn't matter so I could take the first available appointment and got an appt with a nurse practitioner in a few weeks.

I figure since it's just for a routine check up it doesn't really matter but was wondering if there were any major advantages or disadvantages having one versus a MD. When I'm ready for kids, would I need to switch to a doc?

Any opinions, experiences, pros/cons would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz

Re: Nurse Practitioner vs. MD

• When I first started going to an OBGYN office I saw a NP. She was just what I needed at the time...b/c rec's, keeping healthy, annual exams, etc. I still saw her every once in a while for my OB appointments when I was pregnant, but I also saw the doctors in the practice. My office has four MDs and two NPs. I sort of feel like the NPs take their time and are more willing to talk about things rather than feel in a hurry like the docs.   
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PGAL~natural miscarriage oct2010 at 10w
  • I also always saw a NP for my routine annual exams.  My office has 4 MDs, 1 midwife, and 2 NPs.  When I was pregnant I saw everyone.  The NPs cannot deliver babies but they can still examine you during your visits. I think if you're seeing a NP for a routine exam it's totally fine. GL!
  • It was always easier and faster to get an appt with the NP @ my OB's office, and like the pp said, I felt like she took her time more. She reminded me a lot of the midwife I used with my first.

At the end of my pregnancy I had to stop seeing her. I had to see all 4 OBs before I delivered (office policy).

• I see a NP and I love her.  I feel like she takes more time to talk to me, understand my concerns and work with me.  I had to see one of the doctors for an emergency appointment over the summer and she was less then impressive and her bedside manner sucked.
    image image

Also Known As...the Wife[/center]