Grand Rapids Nesties

Apple Picking

Anyone been apple picking yet? Do you know what the going rates are? We are taking the girls tonight (this should be fun).

I have to admit that I've never been apple picking before. I'm assuming they give you the basket and then you should bring your own bags to put them in? Is there anything I need to know about apple picking?

Amelia's b-day party is this weekend, so I'm going to put some apples and carmel dipipng sauce in a bag as a favor bag for the kids. I thought it would be cute to have a tag with a picture of her at the apple farm.

Any suggestions on places to go near 5 Mile and Plainfield. I know Robinettes is close by, but they seem to be a little pricer, although we aren't picking that many apples so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

Re: Apple Picking

• Here are some tips that my friend Jennifer posted on my blog:

http://eatlocalwestmichigan.com/2010/10/04/apple-picking-a-great-family-activity/

there are TONS of places around. 

• We went apple picking this past weekend, although we're in Kalamazoo.  We got a 1/2 bushel bag (about 50 apples) for $9.95.  At the place we go, you buy a wristband for the wagon ride out to the apple orchard and the bag for your apples and then have fun.  Smile
  • We went to a place on Alpine and 9 mile I think...something Country Basket?

Anyway it was nice, we got a 1/2 peck of HoneyCrisp for $16 I think.   They have a small pumpkin patch and lots of apple varieties to choose from (most 1/2 the price of the honeycrisp).  They have animals to pet (goats, rabbits, kittens) and stuff for the kids to play on.

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image freeburger16:

We went to a place on Alpine and 9 mile I think...something Country Basket?

Anyway it was nice, we got a 1/2 peck of HoneyCrisp for $16 I think.   They have a small pumpkin patch and lots of apple varieties to choose from (most 1/2 the price of the honeycrisp).  They have animals to pet (goats, rabbits, kittens) and stuff for the kids to play on.

We are going there for our real fall outing, so I don't want to go for a quck trip. So I call Robinette and they are $12 for a Peck which is 10-12 lbs. Other places are $14-15 for 1/2 a bushell which is like 20 lbs.   

• image gvsubride05:
    image freeburger16:

We went to a place on Alpine and 9 mile I think...something Country Basket?

We are going there for our real fall outing, so I don't want to go for a quck trip. So I call Robinette and they are $12 for a Peck which is 10-12 lbs. Other places are $14-15 for 1/2 a bushell which is like 20 lbs.   

I've heard Robinettes is expensive and always crazy busy so we have never been.  I hear they have the best doughnuts though! 

• So timing wise and distance wise, it looks like Robinettes would be the best option. However I don't know if I am wiling to pay twice as much for u-pick apples. The fruit maket by my house has MI apples for $.55 a lb., where it would be a $1 a lb at Robinettes.  Maybe I could just take a picture of Amelia at the fruit maket with the bag of apples.  ha ha!!
  • image gvsubride05:
    So timing wise and distance wise, it looks like Robinettes would be the best option. However I don't know if I am wiling to pay twice as much for u-pick apples. The fruit maket by my house has MI apples for $.55 a lb., where it would be a $1 a lb at Robinettes.  Maybe I could just take a picture of Amelia at the fruit maket with the bag of apples.  ha ha!!

Do you have a cute basket laying around you could use?  Just dump the apples in the basket and take a pic outside somewhere - voila! Instant faux orchard pic lol.