Politics & Current Events

Hobby Lobby Info? Anti-gay?

I know Hobby Lobby has a bad reputation when it comes to gay rights, but I've never really paid attention because we didn't have them in my area.  Well two of them just opened up within a 10 minute drive of my house and the lure of crafty goodness is calling me.

So...should i be boycotting or are they actually ok?  I don't care that they are overtly christian, I just want to know if there is truth behind rumors that they discriminate against non-christian and/or gay employees and customers. 

Anybody have any links that don't sound completely wackadoodle and perhaps actually reference some sort of news story or discrimination case because I'm not finding anything with the googles.  (my google-fu is weak today)

Re: Hobby Lobby Info? Anti-gay?

• Here are a list of organizations that they openly support, so you may want to do some research on them:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/our_company/ministry.cfm

Bleh I just saw they support Oral Roberts University, so....that's enough for me personally. 

"I
  • Groovingirl has a lot of info on them.

Basically they support the most quiverfull, Christian warrior, patriarchal types of fundies there are 

Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Following TTT's suggestion, you could see that they support the Alliance Defense Fund. Here's one issue they fight for - the sanctity of life: 

http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/Life

And of course, Marriage and Family, which focuses on "The Homosexual Agenda :The Principal Threat to Your Religious Freedom

For the same reason I don't eat a chick fil-a, I refuse to let my money go towards those causes. 

• image shadowboxerkd:

Following TTT's suggestion, you could see that they support the Alliance Defense Fund. Here's one issue they fight for - the sanctity of life: 

And of course, Marriage and Family, which focuses on "The Homosexual Agenda :The Principal Threat to Your Religious Freedom

For the same reason I don't eat a chick fil-a, I refuse to let my money go towards those causes. 

Ah.  Ok, yeah that'll do it for me.  Thanks. 

No cheap ribbon for me.  :(

• image wawajeanne:
    image shadowboxerkd:

Following TTT's suggestion, you could see that they support the Alliance Defense Fund. Here's one issue they fight for - the sanctity of life: 

You're welcome :).

We do have Michael's (there's one at Towson Place) and Joanne's Fabric (In Timonium off York Rd) here, you know!   There are others throughout the bmore area, but those are the ones I go to.

• image wawajeanne:
    image shadowboxerkd:

We do have Michael's (there's one at Towson Place) and Joanne's Fabric (In Timonium off York Rd) here, you know!   There are others throughout the bmore area, but those are the ones I go to.

• image shadowboxerkd:
    image wawajeanne:
    image shadowboxerkd:

Oh I know!  I'm the proud owner of a Micheal's rewards card and I want to set up a cot and sleep in the really big Joanns in Columbia.  I just like options and I've heard that HobLob has particularly good sales on certain items.

• image majorwife:

Groovingirl has a lot of info on them.

Basically they support the most quiverfull, Christian warrior, patriarchal types of fundies there are 

Big Smile

This is the list I've posted before, on the main businesses that I would call 'dominionist.'  Scroll down a bit for the Hobby Lobby section.

I don't shop there or at Chick-fil-A for the same reason.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/23/82357/4096/843/361219

Lots of links in there.

• They hire plenty of gay employess, department managers, and store managers.  That claim is ridiculous.
    image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • image MarynJoe:
    They hire plenty of gay employess, department managers, and store managers.  That claim is ridiculous.

Source? They appear to explicitly support "family values" anti-gay organizations and evangelical Christian causes, so it wouldn't be out of left field for them to discriminate against gay employees too. They already lost a discrimination claim against a disabled employee recently.

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/10-26-09.cfm ;

"I
  • image MarynJoe:
    They hire plenty of gay employess, department managers, and store managers.  That claim is ridiculous.

The claim that they discriminate against gay employees might be ridiculous (though, curious -  how do you know that they hire plenty of gay people?  Are you an employee?  I'd love to get the inside scoop)  - but it's extremely clear, from their own website, that they financially support organizations that are EXTREMELY anti-gay which is just as bad (and possibly worse) in my book.

Personal discrimination could be blamed on a couple of bad eggs in management at individual stores - but the company as a whole is openly and proudly giving money to an organization that says with a straight face that the gay agenda is the biggest danger to their religious freedom. 

That's not something I can knowingly support.

• image talltalltrees:

image MarynJoe:

Source? They appear to explicitly support "family values" anti-gay organizations and evangelical Christian causes, so it wouldn't be out of left field for them to discriminate against gay employees too. They already lost a discrimination claim against a disabled employee recently.

I personally knew a lesbian manager, now know four lesbian employees, two gay department managers, and plenty of gay employees.  One guy I know was insulted by another employee (homosexual comments)  and the offender was written up and they threatened to fire him if he did it again.  Hobby Lobby is a business and they're just like all businesses: they want quality employees. 

• Having straight and gay friends who work there, I hear all the inside scoop.  I've never heard one single thing from them about being discriminated against.  And they have friends at other nearby stores, so they'd know if it was happening in the area.  However, I'm sure there are some crappy, racist, homophobic managers, just like at any chain.
  • Chick-fil-A is out???  DAMMIT!!!!  There is not one within a reasonable driving distance from us, but every time I fly through PHL I make a stop at CFA.  sob.  I will miss you, oh delightful simple fried chicken breast with pickles on a bun.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image MarynJoe:
    Having straight and gay friends who work there, I hear all the inside scoop.  I've never heard one single thing from them about being discriminated against.  And they have friends at other nearby stores, so they'd know if it was happening in the area.  However, I'm sure there are some crappy, racist, homophobic managers, just like at any chain.

Fair enough.  

The corporate support of virulently anti-gay organizations is more than enough to turn me off of them though.  Though I admit that I feel like a complete...I don't even know the word...poser? for acting like I'm some sort of crusader by refusing to shop at Hobby Lobby.   I know that i have the luxury of "taking a stand" without actually sacrificing anything because it's not like I can't go to the next shopping center over and hit Michaels or AC Moore or Joanns.    And really...refusing to shop at Hobby Lobby?  That's my stand?  I feel lame.  

I might as well go "Like" marriage equality on FB at this rate.

• I'm sure that many stores in which we shop contribute to one organization or another that we don't approve of.  However, I base my shopping choices on the store I visit, the product, the prices, if the employees are helpful and happy working there, etc. 
  • image MarynJoe:
    image talltalltrees:

image MarynJoe:

I personally knew a lesbian manager, now know four lesbian employees, two gay department managers, and plenty of gay employees.  One guy I know was insulted by another employee (homosexual comments)  and the offender was written up and they threatened to fire him if he did it again.  Hobby Lobby is a business and they're just like all businesses: they want quality employees. 

You seriously think they hire gays b/c they want quality employees? If so, I have some land to sell you. They, like all businesses do not want to get sued for discrimination. They cannot legally discriminate.  

• image shadowboxerkd:

You seriously think they hire gays b/c they want quality employees? If so, I have some land to sell you. They, like all businesses do not want to get sued for discrimination. They cannot legally discriminate.  

Yes they can. Sexual orientation is not a protected class (in most places). 

"I
  • image shadowboxerkd:
    image MarynJoe:
    image talltalltrees:

image MarynJoe:

So you think they only hire lesbians and gays because they don't want to get sued? 

• image MarynJoe:
    image shadowboxerkd:
    image MarynJoe:
    image talltalltrees:

image MarynJoe:

So you think they only hire lesbians and gays because they don't want to get sued? 

Not necessarily.  The manager hiring at those particular stores just may not care...or didn't know at the time of hiring.  

I stand corrected re: protected classes, but i thought there had been some lawsuits regarding discrimination based on sexual orientation, no?

I am pretty surprised that there are gay ppl who would want to work there, but I guess in this economy, some figure they'll take what they can get. 

• Do people really research who a company supports before shopping or eating at their establishment?  I never thought to do this.  I admit, it wouldn't deter me in either direction.  If they have good customer service, good merchandise or food, and value I'll go.  Although I would understand if you happen to hear through the grapevine if a place supports something you don't appreciate them supporting, just wondering you really go out looking for this info.  If not, I would assume there are other places you go to that support things you wouldn't want them to support..

• I've been researching places I support by shopping there for years.  Lately there are more and more I won't shop at.  Pretty soon I'm going to be weaving my own fabric and living in a hermitage.
  • image shadowboxerkd:
    image MarynJoe:
    image shadowboxerkd:
    image MarynJoe:
    image talltalltrees:

image MarynJoe:

Not necessarily.  The manager hiring at those particular stores just may not care...or didn't know at the time of hiring.  

I stand corrected re: protected classes, but i thought there had been some lawsuits regarding discrimination based on sexual orientation, no?

I am pretty surprised that there are gay ppl who would want to work there, but I guess in this economy, some figure they'll take what they can get. 

Or maybe they like working there.

• image epphd:

Chick-fil-A is out???  DAMMIT!!!!  There is not one within a reasonable driving distance from us, but every time I fly through PHL I make a stop at CFA.  sob.  I will miss you, oh delightful simple fried chicken breast with pickles on a bun.

I know!  I miss the waffle fries!

• image wawajeanne:

Fair enough.  

The corporate support of virulently anti-gay organizations is more than enough to turn me off of them though.  Though I admit that I feel like a complete...I don't even know the word...poser? for acting like I'm some sort of crusader by refusing to shop at Hobby Lobby.   I know that i have the luxury of "taking a stand" without actually sacrificing anything because it's not like I can't go to the next shopping center over and hit Michaels or AC Moore or Joanns.    And really...refusing to shop at Hobby Lobby?  That's my stand?  I feel lame.  

I might as well go "Like" marriage equality on FB at this rate.

I don't look at it like that.  Just because we don't all work 30+hrs a week at some non-profit supporting LGBT equality, doesn't mean that we can't "take a stand" by not supporting stores that support discrimination.  Hobby Lobby isn't going to close down because you and I don't shop there, just like Walmart isn't going to close down because people refuse to shop there on principle.  You're one more person who now knows of their business practices and can make informed choices on where to shop.  And you might tell your crafty friends, who might also make that choice not to shop there.  Little things add up.

• I mostly don't shop there because it seems I always seem to desire craft-goods on Sunday. Not intentionally, but it always seems to work out that way. Of course I don't remember they aren't open until I get there and read their annoying holier-than-thou sign on the door informing me all their employees are getting saint's knees at Sunday services, and aren't I a sinful pagan thinking I could do some quilting on the weekend.

But also, Hobby Lobby has to seem like the single worst sweat-shop supported business out there. No other store gives me such an overwhelming feeling of being surrounded by mountains of cheap Chinese made crap as walking down an aisle at HL.