Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Peeing issues, please help. (long)

DH and I got our dog monday. We take her out every two to four hours right now. She never goes. we're out there anywhere from forty-five minutes to an hour until we finally have to go back in because we have to leave for work and then the other person takes her out for another forty five minutes to an hour. Nothing. She peed inside the house monday and we just let that one slide because she really wasn't acting herself because she was still groggy from anesthesia from being spayed.

Well she didn't pee after that. So I took her to the vet yesterday and they said that the anesthesia may have messed with her kidneys and if she hadn't peed by the next day to call them so they could do some tests. So the next morning I wake up and take her out (just like I've been doing every morning) and we're out there for TWO hours and nothing. Then she jerked and pulled the leash out of my hand and RAN. and I chased her for a good three or four minutes before she finally stopped at our front door. So naturally I was a little frustrated. We went inside and I asked my husband if her would take her out because I had to leave for school. He gets up to take her outside and guess what she's done? PEED. So DH scolded her and took her out. He said he was out there for 30 minutes and nothing (which I really wouldn't expect her to do anything since she had already peed in the house).

And then I came home this afternoon and took her out for a good forty five minutes four times. Nothing. So of course I was keeping my eye on her looking for signs she had to go or anything like that. And so we went to my bedroom so I could change clothes. I went to get my PJs out of my dresser and when I turn around guess what she's done? That's right, she peed. Right in front of me. So I scolded her and took her out and NOTHING. Oh, and every time before we take her out we show her a strand of bells and everytime she touches them we praise her and take her out.

We are trying so hard to encourage her to go outside and we're being patient with her but what are we doing wrong? What advice can you wonderful ladies (and guys too, if there are any, I've only seen gals here!) give us to help get her to go outside and not inside? We need all the help we can get at this point! Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Peeing issues, please help. (long)

• Things are super stressful for her right now. Here are some housebreaking strategies.

One

Two

• I had a foster dog that did that.  We think maybe she was punished and yelled at for peeing so she learned to hide when she had to pee.  We fixed that by keeping her on a leash at all times.  When she started sniffing around to pee we brought her out (at first it felt like we were constantly outside!).  When she finally did pee outside we praised and gave treats.  We didn't react at all when she peed in the house (just cleaned it up with an enzyme cleaner).  She was very smart and learned very quickly. 
  • Leash her to you or crate her. Don't give her free reign right now.

If you aren't seeing her physically pee, don't scold her. How are you scolding her?

Ring the bells yourself when you are going out and work on a touch/paw/whatever command at a different time and praise and treat for that. She needs to do the association of bells=outside first and if you are trying to toss in too much in four days she's probably in overload.

And since I'm an old bitter hag that teaches comm., I ask that you please use paragraphs because this post was hard as hell to read and get through without visual white space to set off separate thoughts.

Move along, nothing to see here.....
  • Sorry about the paragraph thing. It wasn't supposed to be that long. It kinda turned into a rant. :/

And we ring them, she looks at them, touches her nose to them and they ring and then we praise her. but we will try that.

And both times it's happened we've seen her do it. She was squatting right in front of us both times and we scolded her by sternly saying (not yelling) "No no Shy, Not good. we do that outdoors" or something to that effect. and then we instantly take her out.  If we don't see her have the accident she doesn't get scolded.

• There is an animal behaviorist that suggests you place your dog's food and water where your dog likes to pee and poop the most.

Dogs generally do not soil their eating space -- they don't eliminate in the area where they have their meals.

Try it; see if it works. I tried it with my dog who had a peeing issue -- he kept peeing on the rug -- and it seems to have worked.

• I understand - when you're trying to get the info out, it can go on when you don't realize it.

It sounds like she's catching on right now, so that's good. I didn't know if you were trying to force the training too early since she's still settling in.

I would personally recommend a correction noise aside from a NO or talking  because it'll take dogs awhile to "understand" what we are saying to them. If you can use a correction noise like EH EH or BAH, etc. then you can get her attention midstream and hopefully it'll stop or you'll have time to get to her to stop her midstream and take her outdoors.

Move along, nothing to see here.....
  • image PUBoilerBride:

I understand - when you're trying to get the info out, it can go on when you don't realize it.

It sounds like she's catching on right now, so that's good. I didn't know if you were trying to force the training too early since she's still settling in.

I would personally recommend a correction noise aside from a NO or talking  because it'll take dogs awhile to "understand" what we are saying to them. If you can use a correction noise like EH EH or BAH, etc. then you can get her attention midstream and hopefully it'll stop or you'll have time to get to her to stop her midstream and take her outdoors.

hmmm....I hadn't thought about that. We'll certainly give that one a shot!