Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Remember my shelter "Pen Pal," Leo?

Right before I got suspended from volunteering at the shelter, I was told that somebody (not connected in any way to the shelter) had arranged for him to go to a training/boarding facility for two weeks, and then would go into foster care at a doggie day care center (going home with a staff member each night). 

It wasn't until after I dropped him off that I heard that the training facility uses "Cesar's Way" to train the dogs. Yet people who've used the facility say that he doesn't. However, the trainer's first suggestion to someone who came to him for training advice was to use a prong collar. On a cocker spaniel.  (http:// thepackleaders.com/training.aspx -- remove the space after the "//" -- I didn't want it to become clicky)

But it didn't really matter what I thought of the place. Leo wasn't "mine." I wasn't even a volunteer anymore. I had no control over where he went. 

Then he went to the doggie day care place, and I found out later that the owner's husband was FURIOUS with his wife for agreeing to foster him without consulting him, so before Leo even GOT to her place, she was scheming to "get rid" of him.  She almost ended up getting him euthanized. In every picture of him at her place, he looks terrified. 

Anyway, a "real" foster parent agreed to foster him. Leo lives in a house with another dog, and they get along great.

Apparently, he was at an event last Saturday, and karenttrouble saw him (I had been at the event, but left early due to a family obligation). So, she posted a pic on Facebook, and tagged me.

He's wearing a shock collar in the pic.

I feel like I failed him.  

Re: Remember my shelter "Pen Pal," Leo?

• Oh sweets. You didn't fail him. You had no control over what happened to him, or where he went. Like you said, you weren't even a volunteer anymore (sounds like it wasn't by choice either).

I am sorry that Leo is going through this. Do you know who the foster parent is that has him now? Can you contact them to check on him? Is there anything we can do to help?
  • image xmaryrickx:
    Oh sweets. You didn't fail him. You had no control over what happened to him, or where he went. Like you said, you weren't even a volunteer anymore (sounds like it wasn't by choice either).

I am sorry that Leo is going through this. Do you know who the foster parent is that has him now? Can you contact them to check on him? Is there anything we can do to help?

No, it most certainly wasn't by choice, though I did have a meeting last week with an upper-level staff member, who apologized for what happened and asked me to come back.

I know *of* the foster parent. I don't know her personally.

I don't even know if there's anything I could do. I already know that trying to discuss training methods with someone who believes strongly in "dominance theory" is like banging my head on a brick wall. It just doesn't get you anywhere. 

I can't offer to foster Leo myself.  

• Sad

No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • Ugh, I'm so sorry :-(
    imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That sucks - I'm so sorry. Can you have one of the (in good standing/well liked and respected) volunteers say something to them?
  • Oh I am sorry. You did not fail him! I wish there was something we could do.