West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cable Questions

Looking to get cable.  We currently have three channels.  Half my tv time is watching PBS  - fun stuff. 

We got something in the mail from Dish Network.  $24.99 for the first year.  I was wondering if anyone has Dish Network and what they think of it.  

Also, what kind of cable to you have?  How much is it each month?  Would you recommend?  

(We have internet with Brighthouse FYI!)

Re: Cable Questions

• We dont have Dish. We have Verizon, and by far its the best decision we've made, leaving Brighthouse. Our bill with Verizon is about 170.00 per month, we have internet, tv, and phone, along with Cinemax, HBO, and Showtime. My husband has some NFL stuff on their too, along with DVR.  With Brighthouse our bill was the same for just TV and Internet, no movie channels and 2 DVR's. The problems I had with Brighthouse is that my in the middle of a show the sound would go out, Brighthouse tried to first tell it was our tv's(all of them), then they said we needed to purchase better HDMI cords. We have Sony Bravia's in each room. So we purchased new cords, problem still existed. So in January my husband switched to Fios and we havent had 1 problem with sound or picture quality.

• wow.  $170 each month.  We are looking to spend $30 max.  We just want the basics, more than the 3 we currently have. 

Thanks for the info though.  I've heard great things about Verizon.  I will check it out.  

•  I giggled when I read your post- Now I can ask you "have you seen this show" and now there is a possiblity you could say "why yes, yes I have... you can watch Swamp People" ha ha.

We have Brighthouse, we pay $106 for cable/internet/phone .. I think it's a promotional deal , before we moved to HBeach we paid $120 for the same thing.. We have no DVRs (there is nothing that I NEED to watch that bad that i have to record it) .. and we just have standard cable, no showtime, hbo, cinemax.

We haven't had any issues since we moved. We had some outage issues in polk but nothing that was resolved quickly.

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • If you find a good deal for $30.00 let me know. I have Directv when I lived alone and hated that everytime the wind blew, the signal would be lost.  However, I do not know anyone with Dish. If you find a cable deal with Verizon or BH for that amount let me know.
  • I think BH has a $29.99 cable package channels 1-22 or something like that..

I don't think they advertise it, but if you call and ask i think they have it. i know they have it for businesses and i want to say when we first moved to hbeach i wanted to cut back our cable and it was 1-22, or the option we have..and everything Chris' watches is past channel 22 so that plan was a no go.

• image MIABRIDENTAMPA:
    If you find a good deal for $30.00 let me know. I have Directv when I lived alone and hated that everytime the wind blew, the signal would be lost.  However, I do not know anyone with Dish. If you find a cable deal with Verizon or BH for that amount let me know.

Those deals are for Dish Network and DirecTV.  I'll let you know what I find out about cable providers. 

• Oh DirectTV, we had that at my old office and i promise you every single time it rained the cable went out. My mom also had it and it was the same problem.. i would rec that unless they are the only ones w/ the $30 deal..and then you can just read while it rains =)
  • image StingShark425:

I giggled when I read your post- Now I can ask you "have you seen this show" and now there is a possiblity you could say "why yes, yes I have... you can watch Swamp People" ha ha.

We have Brighthouse, we pay $106 for cable/internet/phone .. I think it's a promotional deal , before we moved to HBeach we paid $120 for the same thing.. We have no DVRs (there is nothing that I NEED to watch that bad that i have to record it) .. and we just have standard cable, no showtime, hbo, cinemax.

We haven't had any issues since we moved. We had some outage issues in polk but nothing that was resolved quickly.

If I stop running and start watching Swamp People, will you head up an intervention program? 

Seriously, though, the kicker was while watching crappy PBS cooking over lunch, talking to H, and adjusting our ghetto antennae,  when it fell on my head.  Yeah, H was like, "do you want to get that promo we say in the mail for Dish Network."  Um... yeah, I'll look into that.

• lol. I predict you would make it through 10min of swamp people and say WTF and change it. It's pretty hilarious, but we are country like that.

sorry you were almost maimed by the tv antennae.. but that is pretty funny.

• I like fios, we pay $150 for internet and cable with a DVR and Showtime... 

I'd call Brighthouse since you already have internet with them I doubt it's going to be more than an extra $30-40.

• image *Mrs.CPH*:

I like fios, we pay $150 for internet and cable with a DVR and Showtime... 

I'd call Brighthouse since you already have internet with them I doubt it's going to be more than an extra $30-40.

It's $47 from Brighthouse for over 250 channels, on 3 outlets, 1 box and remote.  (other boxes/remotes $7.90 a month or they get channels 1-98)

• image moonstone523:
    image *Mrs.CPH*:

It's $47 from Brighthouse for over 250 channels, on 3 outlets, 1 box and remote.  (other boxes/remotes $7.90 a month or they get channels 1-98)

did they have the 1-22 option? just curious

• image StingShark425:
    image moonstone523:
    image *Mrs.CPH*:

did they have the 1-22 option? just curious

I didn't ask this time, but last time I asked it was $17 a month. 

• When we were in Tampa, I loved Fios! Now we are back to BH again. We have cable in all rooms, one DVR, the highest internet (I think it is like 14 GBS??) and we pay around $120/month. Oh That is the HD DVR, so the other box may be cheaper.

We tried the save money with just the bunny ears one time. Well with a child it does not go over very well. LOL  

• We had BH.  And it was pretty good.  I never really understood from my experience what the people on the commercials complained about. 

We paid abou$120-$130 a month for BH Cable (with DVR and HBO - Got to have my True Blood!) and internet.

I now realize that we were paying for internet when we have been using a neighbor's the whole time.  Oh well, what he/she doesn't know, won't hurt them.  And if they want, I will split a bill with them! 

We recently let the cable, go, though.  We are just saving that much more a month and spending more time together and exercising a little more (although this week was a FAIL for me - I got discouraged from my results from last week.)