Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Oh.....DH

As an aptly-timed follow-up to my response to JustMeOk's post below, DH just called me to ask if we could adopt a Great Dane.

One of his co-workers is leaving her husband and just got herself a house. Now she wants to get a dog to live in the house with her, so DH was helping her look at breeder's websites and adoption sites. He saw Great Dane puppies and now wants one desperately.

I seriously felt like my mother as I reminded him for the umpteenth time that we're not home enough hours during the day to manage a non-housebroken puppy. I'm leaving in 3 months, so he will work even longer hours because he's bored, then he's leaving for a month and will have to board both dogs, then we will be coming home with a baby to a house with one crazy and hyperactive pitbull and a puppy who will eventually be a giant.

Not to mention the associated costs. After I told him that I'm not prepared to manage a newborn and two dogs, one of whom is still very much a puppy, when I'm home alone all day come spring, he said he would have our housekeeper come more frequently for longer hours to help. Where exactly are we getting the money for the housekeeper, the dog food, the extra bottled water for the other dog, the extra meds, the extra vet visits, spaying/neutering the dog, shipping both dogs back to the States when we're done here, and -oh yeah - THE BABY?!?

I know he knows all of this too, it's just frustrating to have to remind him of it so frequently. I feel too much like a mother and not enough like a partner every time we have this conversation.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Oh.....DH

• butbutbut....puppies are so cute!

Seriously though, this made me lol.

67/200
  • Tell him that after the baby comes and he realizes how much work and responsibility goes in to taking care of a child, then maybe you guys can revisit the whole puppy idea...the last thing you need is two babies running around the house (unless you end up with twins...then yay! lol)
  • image faith*hope*love:
    Tell him that after the baby comes and he realizes how much work and responsibility goes in to taking care of a child, then maybe you guys can revisit the whole puppy idea...the last thing you need is two babies running around the house (unless you end up with twins...then yay! lol)

I told him that we can revisit the issue when we move back to the States. I honestly wouldn't mind having a second dog, or even having to housebreak one on my own since DH is working and I won't be. My biggest concern is that, if DH gets accepted to UPT, we will be PCSing back to the States in either March (in which case baby and I won't even come back to Egypt) or in August. I know that we can't handle losing my income + new baby + $3,000 or more to move two dogs back. It's just too much at one time.

After we get settled back in the States, whether that's in a few months or a year and a half, we will be in a much better position to talk about getting another dog.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers