West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I can't post on ML today.

They make me grumpy. :/

Anyone ever or know anyone who has ever been a flight attendant? I have a couple of friends who have and are doing it, but I wanted to get different opinions since they are/were both with the same airline. 

Re: I can't post on ML today.

• My sister was.  She quit right after 9/11.  I can't remember the name of the airline now, but she mostly flew charter flights.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Yeah.  She got to go to a lot of cool places & met some interesting people.  Sometimes, she'd fly someplace & wouldn't fly back until the next day.  So she was able to sight see a little bit.

9/11 scared the ** out of her.  She'd fly to the middle east a lot. 

My niece didn't exist at the time either.

• There are a lot of factors that would make that job difficult. Bean being the main one. But despite all the talk from my current employers, my job isn't going anywhere. I need something that I love to do. And since I have a couple of years left to finish my bachelor's, I don't have a whole lot of options.
  • Yes, my neighbor was one. She loved it, but also quit right after 9/11, or maybe she was laid off. I cant remember which airline, I can ask her! She loved it. No she is a property appraiser, and works a lot from home so it is good for her kids.
  • image Gator_Bride08:
    There are a lot of factors that would make that job difficult. Bean being the main one. But despite all the talk from my current employers, my job isn't going anywhere. I need something that I love to do. And since I have a couple of years left to finish my bachelor's, I don't have a whole lot of options.
    Would your H be able to take care of bean if you were gone overnight?
  • image jen812:
    image Gator_Bride08:
    There are a lot of factors that would make that job difficult. Bean being the main one. But despite all the talk from my current employers, my job isn't going anywhere. I need something that I love to do. And since I have a couple of years left to finish my bachelor's, I don't have a whole lot of options.
    Would your H be able to take care of bean if you were gone overnight?

Yes. He can work four 10's, sp he could have friday-sunday off. And we have a friend who is willing to watch her during the week for fairly cheap. 

• I was a flight attendant for 11 years and had quite a love hate relationship with that job!  I took a severence pkg. after having the boys because I just couldn't handle leaving them all of the time. It's certainly a job that can have a lot of pro's but with all of those pros there are a lot of cons too!  I started when I was not even 21 yet so it was a great time in my life to do something like that but I don't think I would want to go into it all over again at this stage in my life with kids and a family and all.  

If you did consider it dont' forget that you would have to go to training for at least a month with any major carrier and you don't get to come home on the weekends.  That would suck with a baby at home.  And you would be on the bottom of the seniority list for a very, VERY long time with just about any airline out there so that translates to NEVER getting a holiday off...my friends that are still at Delta can't even hold Xmas off with 13 years.  And you would be working just about every weekend...not sure if that's a big deal to you but it sucked for me!  

• I had two friends that were flight attendants.  One for Continental and one for US Airways.  One of them was older, and her children were grown.  She absolutely loved it.  

My other friend did it right after college because she couldn't find a job in her field.  She loved it for the first couple of years, but often complained about having to work weekends and holidays...all the time.  There were a lot of perks, but in the end, once she got married she quit.  She didn't want to give up all her weekends and holidays with her husband, and because they were planning to have children.  

I thought about doing it in my younger, single days - but I don't think I could ever do it right now, with a family.

Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • I had a cousin who use to do it. She really enjoyed it. She started off with flights just in the US but them moved to international flights. She would be able to spend a day in France or Italy between flights sometimes.

I love my crazy child!

My Bio

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker college mom
  • image delta21:

I was a flight attendant for 11 years and had quite a love hate relationship with that job!  I took a severence pkg. after having the boys because I just couldn't handle leaving them all of the time. It's certainly a job that can have a lot of pro's but with all of those pros there are a lot of cons too!  I started when I was not even 21 yet so it was a great time in my life to do something like that but I don't think I would want to go into it all over again at this stage in my life with kids and a family and all.  

If you did consider it dont' forget that you would have to go to training for at least a month with any major carrier and you don't get to come home on the weekends.  That would suck with a baby at home.  And you would be on the bottom of the seniority list for a very, VERY long time with just about any airline out there so that translates to NEVER getting a holiday off...my friends that are still at Delta can't even hold Xmas off with 13 years.  And you would be working just about every weekend...not sure if that's a big deal to you but it sucked for me!  

I've been reading about all of this and trying to decide if the pros weight out the cons. I don't get weekends off now, but at least i'm home.  I don't get paid nearly enough for what I do, and raises are a joke. I love the people I work with, but i'm suddenly realizing that my bosses are full of crap and I need to do something different. I don't want to be stuck in retail, I hate it.

• And who knows. I change my mind every five seconds. Tomorrow it might be something different. I'm never satisfied. It's a curse.