Pittsburgh Nesties

Saturday lunch menu for guests

We're having guests in this weekend and I need something for lunch.  I don't want to just go out to lunch either because we're going out to dinner without kids - yay!!!  So DS has a soccer game in the morning, then we'll go home for lunch and wait for my mom to come over to babysit.  Then the girls are going shopping and the guys are going to do something, then we're meeting up later for dinner.  What do I feed them for lunch?  I'd actually like something easy that I can have pre-made and able to just pull it out of the fridge.  ...something a little nicer than just deli meats and cheese too.  Any ideas?  I think they'll eat anything, maybe lean towards the healthier side.

Thanks!!

Birthday Birthday

Re: Saturday lunch menu for guests

• This recipe is super easy and really good!  And you can make it ahead of time!

Chicken Enchilada Ring

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked chicken
    1/4 cup chopped block olives
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    1 small can chopped chilies, undrained
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 package taco seasoning
    2 rolls of crescent rolls
    1 small chopped tomato
    1 lime (juice)
    2/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips

1.  Chop chicken and add olives, cheese, chilies, sour cream and taco mix.  Seed and chop 1 tomato and add 2 tablespoons lime juice; add to chicken mixture.  Reserve 2 Tblsp. crushed chips and add remaining chips to mixture.

2.Unroll crescent dough and separate triangles.  Arrange on round baking stone or cookie sheet making a circle with wide ends OVERLAPPING in the center and points toward outside. ( I did lightly spray oil on the cookie sheet I used).  There should be a 5 inch diameter opening in the center.

3. Spread chicken mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangle.

4. Bring points of triangles up and over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at the center of the ring.

Sprinkle with 2 Tblsp. crushed chips. ( I put shredded cheese all on top!)

5. Bake @ 375 for 20-25 minutes.  Garnish with tomato and serve with salsa and sour cream.

• Chili or soup and cornbread

pesto/fresh mozzarella and tomato sandwich on a baguette with a side salad

grilled chicken cut up to put over a salad 

• What about some type of salad? You could make a big salad the night before and even make some grilled chicken too, then they could either heat the chicken up or have it cold or the salad.

You could also through something in the Crockpot in the morning that will be ready by lunch time, like a soup, or shredded BBQ chicken for sandwiches, or hot sausage.

• It doesn't really fit the healthy bill--but these sandwiches are awesome.  And you have to let them marinate overnight in the butter mixture--so they're definitely make ahead.

http://www.beantownbaker.com/2009/12/mini-ham-and-cheese-sandwiches.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeantownBaker+%28Beantown+Baker%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickera>
  • What about like a ham bbq in the crock pot? Or some sausage? With some salad or fries or someting like that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers my read shelf:
    Kelly (kelly1516)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Chicken salad sandwiches are light, healthy-ish, and tasty!  Though, I do agree with the chili idea seeing as it won't be terribly warm on Saturday.
    My Chart  |  The Hack's Burgh Blog
    My Goodreads Read Shelf
    Books read:
    2011: 75/75 | 2012: 75/75 | 2013: 61/60 | 2014: 4/50

* TTC since 10/2011 *
    IUI#1 (12/12) = BFN  -  IUI#2 (5/13) = BFN
    SURPRISE BFP!!  8/1/2013   EDD 4/5/2014   BORN 4/18/2014

• image sp2006:

This recipe is super easy and really good!  And you can make it ahead of time!

Chicken Enchilada Ring

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked chicken
    1/4 cup chopped block olives
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    1 small can chopped chilies, undrained
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 package taco seasoning
    2 rolls of crescent rolls
    1 small chopped tomato
    1 lime (juice)
    2/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips

1.  Chop chicken and add olives, cheese, chilies, sour cream and taco mix.  Seed and chop 1 tomato and add 2 tablespoons lime juice; add to chicken mixture.  Reserve 2 Tblsp. crushed chips and add remaining chips to mixture.

2.Unroll crescent dough and separate triangles.  Arrange on round baking stone or cookie sheet making a circle with wide ends OVERLAPPING in the center and points toward outside. ( I did lightly spray oil on the cookie sheet I used).  There should be a 5 inch diameter opening in the center.

3. Spread chicken mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangle.

4. Bring points of triangles up and over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at the center of the ring.

Sprinkle with 2 Tblsp. crushed chips. ( I put shredded cheese all on top!)

5. Bake @ 375 for 20-25 minutes.  Garnish with tomato and serve with salsa and sour cream.

I'm very curious about this, sounds awesome!  Thanks for posting!!!  I'll certainly make this at some point if not this weekend.

Birthday Birthday
  • image cortneyjane:

What about some type of salad? You could make a big salad the night before and even make some grilled chicken too, then they could either heat the chicken up or have it cold or the salad.

You could also through something in the Crockpot in the morning that will be ready by lunch time, like a soup, or shredded BBQ chicken for sandwiches, or hot sausage.

I hadn't even thought of the crock pot but that's probably an even better idea than having something pre-made in the fridge!  Hmm, it is going to be cooler on Saturday too....I think i'm going to explore this idea.  Thank you!!

Birthday Birthday
  • image amyjoy18:

It doesn't really fit the healthy bill--but these sandwiches are awesome.  And you have to let them marinate overnight in the butter mixture--so they're definitely make ahead.

http://www.beantownbaker.com/2009/12/mini-ham-and-cheese-sandwiches.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeantownBaker+%28Beantown+Baker%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Wow these look fun too!  Thanks for the idea!!

Birthday Birthday