Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

For those that bell train

What's the proper response when your dog rings the bell less than 5 minutes after going out (during which trip they went to the bathroom)?

Re: For those that bell train

• Ace goes into the backyard off leash, so when he pulls that trick I leash him up. When he starts to get distracted, I hurry him back in the house.

If possible, I distract him from getting to the bells. 

• ::Lurker coming out of hiding::

We have our youngest bell trained.  He LOVES to ring the bell just moments after we let him in.  What I do is let him wait about a minute.  He'll stand there and stare at the bell.  If he really needs to go, he'll ring or act agitated or whine.  If he doesn't need to, he'll stand there and wag his tail.

I basically judge the situation based on his reactions.  But I don't immediately jump up, I stay where I am and watch him to assess. 

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I take them out and if they start to play or hunt rocks (Jehzara is really the only bell ringer), we make them come back in.  Rinse, repeat.  Eventually they get the idea and quit abusing the bells.