What's Cooking?

Birthday cake for someone who doesn't like dessert?

DH's birthday is Monday and I wanted to get or make him a birthday cake. But he doesn't like sweets. Well I do, so in the past I'll get a cake that I like (Very rude, I know) and a frozen pizza for him instead.

Do you have any recommendations on an alternative to the frozen pizza? 

74 books read in 2011

Re: Birthday cake for someone who doesn't like dessert?

• Well what exactly does he like? I imagine there must be a special meal he likes more than a frozen pizza. Why not make it for him?
  • What kinds of things does he like?  There's no reason he can't have birthday brownies, or a birthday pie.

Does he like meatloaf?  Make a loaf in the shape of a cake and 'frost' in mashed potatoes and put a candle on top.

• Bella and I are on the same page!
  • image BensBabe823:
    Well what exactly does he like? I imagine there must be a special meal he likes more than a frozen pizza. Why not make it for him?

Or do a deep dish pizza from scratch and place it on a cake stand with candles when serving.

This one is delish:  http://annies-eats.com/2010/01/21/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza/#comment-15040

• I always let my DH choose his birthday dinner and cake.  Sometimes he choose to go out to dinner, sometimes he chooses take out, this year he chose delivery pizza from a local place and a store bought cake & ice cream.  Why not ask your H what he would like for dinner for his birthday?
    My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hate frozen pizza. He loves it. So he never "gets" to have it, and always demands it on his birthday. I wish there was something nicer he liked that I could make him instead. But that's part of why he wants it on his birthday - because I try and trick him into something else!

Any cake / desserty options I can do that he might eat? Surely my DH isn't the only one who doesn't like desserts? I can always make cookies, but that doesn't seem special since we make them regularly.

74 books read in 2011
  • image katarczyna:

I hate frozen pizza. He loves it. So he never "gets" to have it, and always demands it on his birthday. I wish there was something nicer he liked that I could make him instead. But that's part of why he wants it on his birthday - because I try and trick him into something else!

Any cake / desserty options I can do that he might eat? Surely my DH isn't the only one who doesn't like desserts? I can always make cookies, but that doesn't seem special since we make them regularly.

Are there any sweets he does like? 

• He really doesn't like any sweets. Just peanut butter cookies. Even choc chips he doesn't care for.

I love the meatloaf idea. OK, *I* don't love it, but he will. Very clever!!!! 

Thanks ladies! DH will thank you, too 

74 books read in 2011
  • Well since he loves frozen pizza so much, I'd stick with that.

I think he should get to pick his dessert, if he wants one. Among people who don't like dessert, I doubt there's a universal "like". Instead of making something he "might eat" I would get something you know he really wants to eat. What about  ice cream, does he like that?

• image Bella.in.CT:

What kinds of things does he like?  There's no reason he can't have birthday brownies, or a birthday pie.

Does he like meatloaf?  Make a loaf in the shape of a cake and 'frost' in mashed potatoes and put a candle on top.

what a cute idea!

• Does he like ice cream?  You could do ice cream sundaes if so.
    My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wish he liked ice cream. No one in his family eats desserts (I think his grandma was diabetic, so none of them had it. They'd all much rather have a larger meal than save room.)

I'll make a frozen pizza as an "appetizer", the meatloaf cake, and pb cookies for dessert. He should be happy with that.

Thanks ladies - you're always so helpful. 

74 books read in 2011
  • Maybe something tart instead of sweet? Homemade sorbet, perhaps in a citrus, berry, or pomegranite flavor. Rhubarb is nice and tart so maybe a strawberry-rhubarb crisp.
    imageimage
  • He does like tart things, too. That's also a great idea.

10 minutes ago I had no ideas. Now I have too many to choose from!

74 books read in 2011
  • I'm not a huge dessert person - my mom usually made me a strawberry pie for my birthday and I loved that.

Another idea is to make a "peanut butter cookie cake,"  something like this:

Peanut Butter Pizooki  (combines his favorite things, pizza and peanut butter cookies)

Master of Disguise
  • Why are you so obsessed with getting your H to eat something else on his birthday?  It's his birthday.  Just give your husband what he likes and stop making this about you.  If you want something sweet, buy cupcakes, buy a pint of Ben n' Jerry's and if you don't like frozen pizza, eat something else.  I'm just so confused about what the big deal is.
    Don't worry, I'm working on it.
    Get it on!
  • I don't like cake or really any dessert either and I have spent my life trying to explain that to people who insist on buying me cake for my birthday.  I get 'oh eat it and don't worry about the calories, it's your birthday' from co-workers who think I'm just not eating it for health reasons. I also get them insisting I take it and used to just take it and throw it away but that was annoying as well.  So now I just say no thank you and leave the room.  If they insist I ignore.

That being said, ASK your DH what he wants and make him that and only that.   Because if he's like me he's been dealing with this his whole life.  I mean honestly I'm not a freak with three heads just because I have no sweet tooth so don't treat me like one.  OK, I know I went off here and it's not meant at you I just hate it every year.  AND my birthday is Sunday so I'll be dealing with this at work this Friday.  Sigh.

Good luck and I hope your DH has a happy birthday filled with things he wants to eat!

• image Bella.in.CT:

What kinds of things does he like?  There's no reason he can't have birthday brownies, or a birthday pie.

This "cake" looks so gross! Ick!

• image katmachine:

I don't like cake or really any dessert either and I have spent my life trying to explain that to people who insist on buying me cake for my birthday.  I get 'oh eat it and don't worry about the calories, it's your birthday' from co-workers who think I'm just not eating it for health reasons. I also get them insisting I take it and used to just take it and throw it away but that was annoying as well.  So now I just say no thank you and leave the room.  If they insist I ignore.

That being said, ASK your DH what he wants and make him that and only that.   Because if he's like me he's been dealing with this his whole life.  I mean honestly I'm not a freak with three heads just because I have no sweet tooth so don't treat me like one.  OK, I know I went off here and it's not meant at you I just hate it every year.  AND my birthday is Sunday so I'll be dealing with this at work this Friday.  Sigh.

Good luck and I hope your DH has a happy birthday filled with things he wants to eat!

I totally get where you're coming from. 

I can't just ask him what he wants. He says "nothing" and then will say "canoli cake" or something he hates, but knows I like. He doesn't like his birthday, and I just wanted to do something special for him. I feel like if I ask him, he'll change it so it's about what I want. And that's a 180 from my intentions. 

I love him and want to let him know he's important and celebrate his birthday and remind him that he's special to me. 

74 books read in 2011