Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Wire Brushes for Cleaning*

I've also posted this on D&R, but I would certainly appreciate any help!

We're using industrial cleaner on this awful shower stall grout. We've tried industrial cleaners recommended to us, bleaches, etc.....The only thing we haven't tried that was suggested was Oven cleaner. DH refused.

I want to re-tile or redo the grout SO BAD, but DH is against it. DH says I should be able to get this up with a wire cleaning brush. Couldn't find any at Kroger.

Can you get them at Walmart? Where should I go?

I've never met something I couldn't clean. This is ridiculous. Like, I feel embarassed for the previous owners.

ETA - It was this bad when we bought this house. This isn't our doing. We've just been trying to fix it.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Wire Brushes for Cleaning*

• DH says I should be able to get this up with a wire cleaning brush.

If this line sounded as dickish in person as it does online, I'd be making HIM put in the elbow grease.

What is it?  Is it soap scum or mildew/mold?  To answer your question, I would check a hardware store for a wire brush.  If we know what the funk is, we might be able to recommend a product.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image MrsOjoButtons:

DH says I should be able to get this up with a wire cleaning brush.

What is it?  Is it soap scum or mildew/mold?  To answer your question, I would check a hardware store for a wire brush.  If we know what the funk is, we might be able to recommend a product.

It didn't sound as bad as it comes across on type. 

It's black and it's towards the bottom. A lot of the grout is just disclored in places. However, the biggest part is the black around the bottom of the stall where the tile meets the floor tile. I even bought an electronic brush to use with the last industrial cleaner and it's still not coming up. 

ETA - I'm able to get up the basic soap scum and whatnot.

• Is it grout or caulking? There should be caulking at any perpendicular joints. If it's caulking, it should be easy to scrape up and re-caulk.

If it's not... well it should be caulked. 

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • We had the same problem when we moved in, and in our case it was basically mildew behind the caulking.  We scraped it all out, cleaned it and re-caulked.  We also re-grouted in a few places where it was stained while we were at it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image ring_pop:

Is it grout or caulking? There should be caulking at any perpendicular joints. If it's caulking, it should be easy to scrape up and re-caulk.

I'm going to mention that to him. a lot of the disclored areas are grout, but the black places (apparently sealed over by the people who flipped the house) are black. 

Edit below: The black places are caulk. 

• image ring_pop:

Is it grout or caulking? There should be caulking at any perpendicular joints. If it's caulking, it should be easy to scrape up and re-caulk.

I'm going to mention that to him. a lot of the disclored areas are grout, but the black places (apparently sealed over by the people who flipped the house) are caulk.