Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Funky dishwasher smell....

So, my dishwasher has this really funky smell and I need some ideas of how to clean it out. I can't really describe the smell other than foul! I have heard about using vinegar but not sure how... any other recommendations to get rid of this awful smell?

Re: Funky dishwasher smell....

• You can just put a cup of vinegar in the dw and turn it on. Do it while it's empty and don't bother adding soap. I'd also try and find out where the food trap is. Some have this, some don't, but it could be the source of the stench.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Hudson_Hawk:
    You can just put a cup of vinegar in the dw and turn it on. Do it while it's empty and don't bother adding soap. I'd also try and find out where the food trap is. Some have this, some don't, but it could be the source of the stench.

Do I put the vinegar where you normally put the soap and then just run an empty cycle?

• That's fine if your soap cup is big enough. I just dump a cup of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher since my soap cup is really small. And yes, the dishwasher should be empty.

Make sure you check for a food trap first so the empty cycle will rinse the trap when you're done. You can run vinegar cycles to your heart's content but the smell won't go away until you clean that trap. Most don't know if they have a food trap or where it is. Look on the bottom of the dishwasher toward the back. It's usually covered by a plastic screen and you'll probably need a screwdriver to take the cover off.

• Clean the filter (food trap). I think they all have one. It's where the water drains out on the bottom. I would guess that there are rotting food particles causing the stench. Also make sure to run your disposal before running the dishwasher. Dishwasher drains typically run through the disposal, so if it's clogged up it won't drain as well.

Just dump a couple cups of vinegar in the bottom. It won't stay in the cups after you shut the door, so what's the point?

If you don't use a rinse aid, but have a rinse aid dispenser, you can put vinegar in there too.

- Jena
  • Also try adding a bit of bleach if you find the vinegar doesn't work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010