Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how do you organize your bills?

I am tired of having to look for my checkbook, calculator, calender etc when it comes time to do the bills.

Can anyone reccomend an inexpensive caddy-type thing that I can use to keep all my bill paying items together?

image Jack was born 1/16/08, died 1/25/08 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: how do you organize your bills?

• I don't have a caddy to recommend. I pay all of my bills online through my bank. The only paper bills I still get are the ones for my gas and electric and I just confirm the amount, process the payment through my online bank portal and then toss the paper. Some bills, like my student loan payments are on auto pay and the others I have "scheduled" in my outlook calendar. I get paid on Thursdays so every Thursday morning I get a calendar reminder telling me which bills to pay that week. I have my bills split up throughout the month based on their billing cycles. I don't pay them all at the beginning/end of the month.

I also don't balance my checkbook via traditional methods. I reconcile with my online account portal on a daily basis.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I go by how when I get them and when we get paid. I don't think Online bill pay is any better, because they still send a physical check to the company. It just comes straight from your account instead of wrting a check.

This is what I do:

Mortgage Due the 16th of the month- write day before send

Water Due the 20th, (have 5days to pay after)-this helps w/ paycheck timings

Phone/DirecTV due the 13th-this is paid early because we usually get paid the week before...

and so on... This helps it so we don't go broke and live paycheck to paycheck. and I LOVE the months we get paid 3times! :) WOOHOO!

• Hi. I don't have a bill organizer...but I am sure Real Simple probably could recommend some great ones.  I/we pay practically everything online with the exception of the water bill every 3 mos & the landscaper every mo.  Online helps me to stay organized and on time.....and I need a lot of help to stay on top of things :)!

Good luck.

• I also don't have a caddy to recommend, because I've gone "green" and all my bills are paperless and they're either automatically withdrawn from our bank account each month (car payment, gym payment, etc..) or I pay them online.

I have an excel spreadsheet that I update almost daily by cross referencing with my bank account online each day.  The columns are:

1. The bill

2. When it's due

3.  Which paycheck is being used to pay for it

4. How much is due

5. Whether or not it's been paid (I then bold the payment when it's been officially withdrawn from my bank account)

6. Confirmation Number for an online payment and how much I paid

Keeping a spreadsheet make it so much easier to see what needs to be paid and when and to keep track of everything so there are no surprises. HTH!

• image Victoria6F:

I don't think Online bill pay is any better, because they still send a physical check to the company. It just comes straight from your account instead of wrting a check.

Actually, the majority of companies are paid electronically - no paper checks. The bank already has billing information for the company and the funds are electronically transfered from your bank to the company's account. Out of about 15 bills we pay through our bank's bill pay only 1 gets mailed a paper check from the bank and that's for our HOA, but it still saves me stamps and time since I can do it at the same time as the others. It's always very clear about the date they'll receive the check, so it's easy to make sure it goes out in time.

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!
  • With the exception of a few bills, I do pay my bills online. But I am the type of person who need the phycial statement in my hand so I can pay it..open the bill, pay it online..rip up the bills once payment confirmed.

image Jack was born 1/16/08, died 1/25/08 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We do most of our bills online too, but there is always some random one that shows up...magazine subscription, doctor visit, etc.

I have a folder type thing I use....its hard plastic, spiral binding, and has multiple  folder-like pockets inside. In the front pocket I keep our checkbook, envelopes, stamps, a small calculator and a pen. The second pocket is for bills. The third pocket is for things that require me to do something (forms to complete, calls to make, etc.), the last pocket is things that need to be filed. I store the folder next to my calendar. Its a new system, but so far so good. Its nice to have everything in one place so when I get a minute, I can grab it and get stuff done.

• I pay 99% of our bills online. The only checks I write are for the weekly daycare payment and the occasional drs co-pay.

I use a spreadsheet that has all of our bills budgeted for the year by week/month. I track the confirmation code upon verification of auto pay or actually scheduling a payment. I check the account at least every other day and mark each payment with a x when it clears the account. This has allowed us to start planning ahead to lower debt, add to the savings account, and stop living check to check.

• I pay all bills online with the exception of magazine subscriptions, doctor copays and rent.  I have a desk caddy that holds all the paper bills until I file the info in Quicken software.  I hate Quicken and love Microsoft Money but it's not made anymore.  Then I file in my desk drawer.  If you don't have a desk there are caddies for hanging file folders that are cheap and small.  They also  have a space in the top for desk needs like pens, paper clips etc.  I use a binder clip to hold all the bills together. I also use a small expandable file to hold receipts until I reconcile the bank balance but make sure to keep the ones for tax write offs that's where the extra file spots come in handy.