Money Matters

XP- What to wear to new teacher orientation

I am not a teacher, but I am a certified employee new to the district. This is my first job out of grad school so I'm a little lost. I was thinking slacks and a button down shirt, is that appropriate? What about a long skirt and cotton shirt? It's 100+ degrees here.

Re: XP- What to wear to new teacher orientation

• You will see a wide variety of outfits, I'm sure!  I wore a dressier short sleeve sweater and black capris to one of my orientations.  (Not sure why I remember this, as it was 8 years ago, but it stands out in my mind!)  We did a lot of sitting and listening, so I'd wear something that is comfortable.  The skirt and cotton shirt sound fine, especially given the heat.
  • No air conditioning?

Is it orientation week, or are you actually seeing parents?

In my district, they let us be causal for orientation week because no parents were around. We'd meet as a group for half of the day, then set up our classrooms for the other 1/2 .  I decided to wear ATL business casual dresses, and I was horribly overdressed.  

• I'd dress in layers, since the building will probably be air-conditioned. I usually freezing indoors in the summer. I'd wear lightweight dressy pants, a dressy conservative tank (ATL and Banana Republic have a ton of these right now) with a lightweight cardigan over it. Conservative heels or ballet flats. You could substitute a pencil skirt without nylons for the pants, but in that case I'd wear heels.
  • image kirkette:

No air conditioning?

Is it orientation week, or are you actually seeing parents?

In my district, they let us be causal for orientation week because no parents were around. We'd meet as a group for half of the day, then set up our classrooms for the other 1/2 .  I decided to wear ATL business casual dresses, and I was horribly overdressed.  

It's a 3-day orientation. I am a school psychologist so I don't have a classroom to set up. I will wear a skirt and cotton shirt on the first day and go from there. Thanks ladies.

• I remember we all wore jeans and tees for our new teacher orientation.
  • image PumaPants:
    I'd dress in layers, since the building will probably be air-conditioned. I usually freezing indoors in the summer. I'd wear lightweight dressy pants, a dressy conservative tank (ATL and Banana Republic have a ton of these right now) with a lightweight cardigan over it. Conservative heels or ballet flats. You could substitute a pencil skirt without nylons for the pants, but in that case I'd wear heels.

No schools around me are air-conditioned.  I wear business casual for our pro-grow days before school starts. I usually have to finish setting up my classroom, too, so I bring shorts.

• We all wore jeans.  That's standard for non-student days around here.
  • At my school I would say anything that doesn't show boobs. lol. Kids and parents aren't there, so I wouldn't worry, but my school is laid back about teacher dress.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers