Fashion & Beauty

heart shaped diamond ring- how to wear it?

the center stone on my e-ring is a heart shaped diamond. i have been wearing it with the point of the heart facing me. today i was at a jewelry store and the lady working there told me the heart should face outward. i told h and he said he agrees. wdyt? it looks strange on my finger facing outward imo.

Re: heart shaped diamond ring- how to wear it?

• A photo may help. I haven't seen a heart shaped diamond in person before.
  • It should be facing outward or in the right direction (not upside down) when your hand is down by your side. Smile
  • I guess it's "supposed" to face outward so that, when you show others your hand, it is right side up for them. I don't know why I'm remembering some rule like that from somewhere. I would probably wear it facing me, though.
  • The point should be facing your fingernail.  This way, when others are looking at your hand (your ring specifically), it will resemble a heart, not an upside down heart.
  • meh, I say do what you like.... your ring, who cares what others think....

BFP#1 11.2.10 | EDD 7.9.11 | HB 7w2d & 8w4d | missed M/C 11w2d | D&E 12.21.10
    FSH at 14.5 - 4.21.11 | CCCT - (CD3 8.8,CD10 12.2)| dx w/ DOR @ 28 yrs old
    IUI#1 + clomid 8.29.11 (our anniversary)
    BFP#2 9.10.11 | EDD 5.21.12 | beta 1 @ 14dpi:232 | beta 2 @17dpi:703 | beta 3 @24dpi:7,174
    Baby A HB of 142(7w), 161(8w), 164(9w) | Baby B no HB, Vanishing Twin
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Heart tip facing me (inward) : image

Heart tip facing someone looking at my ring (outward): 

• I want to wear it facing me but when the lady said that and H agreed, I was a little embarrassed like "Should I have known this?" Lol. It is awkward when I hold my hand out to show someone my ring, they have to come look at it from my perspective... but it is my ring so what does it matter, huh?

I don't know. I was just confused by it thinking I've been "doing it wrong" the whole time I've been wearing it. I just wanted to see what the general opinion is. I seem to remember someone saying something to me about it before but they said it in a nicer way, not outright "You aren't supposed to wear it like that."

• OMG! I LOVE your e-ring! I wanted a heart-shaped one at one point.

Wrong hand though?

• Oh and personally, I'd face it to me, not outward, so I get a better view of the heart all the time.

But I'm cheesy like that. :P

• I have a heart shaped ring (not my e-ring) and I wear it the way you do. If you're showing it to people, just hold up your hand with your fingers pointing up and palm facing you, if that makes sense (see below example). Then it will be in the right direction from their perspective.

• I can understand the reasoning behind wearing it point up but you're the one who's going to be looking at it all the time.  So I'd wear it whatever way you want.  If it were me, I'd wear it point down. 
  • I'd wear it so that it's upright when I'm looking at it.  Who cares what others think?  Stick out tongue
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• image Turtle143:

OMG! I LOVE your e-ring! I wanted a heart-shaped one at one point.

Wrong hand though?

Thank you! And to answer your question, I took the photos on my Mac Photobooth and it inverts things I think. I am so not tech savvy so I don't even know if that is the right word for it...? 

Anyway, thanks for the opinions ladies! I guess it is the consensus that the "proper" way to do it is to wear it  facing outward but who cares what people think so inward it stays! Smile

• image jessicah628:

I have a heart shaped ring (not my e-ring) and I wear it the way you do. If you're showing it to people, just hold up your hand with your fingers pointing up and palm facing you, if that makes sense (see below example). Then it will be in the right direction from their perspective.

This is what I try to do but it always so awkward when people grab your hand from this angle (to see it better), lol. 

• if I had a heart shaped e-ring, I'd wear it like a Claddagh ring. the point faces away and on the left hand if you are engaged, towards you on the left hand if you are married.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I personally think it looks better in the top pic:) It makes more sense to me to wear it facing you, so I guess I disagree with the "official" opinion of the jewelry store lady!
    2012 Races:

Frozen 5K 2.4.12 - 23:10 (7:28 pace) PR

Earth Day 1/2 Marathon 4.21.12 - 1:54:38 (8:45 pace) PR

More to come...

Follow my blog @

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

I'm part of TEAM REFUEL with Chocolate Milk!
  • I have a silver heart ring I wear on my right hand and I always wear it with the point facing toward me.  In high school I heard if you wear it facing outward that means you are "available" and if its facing you it means you are taken.  That's why my instinct is to wear it facing in. 
  • I like the way you were wearing it best. It just looks more natural that way for some reason. I think there are probably about a dozen different things people think the different ways it's facing mean, but honestly, who cares? Do what you like the look of best. Besides, you are the one that gets to say what it means since you are the one wearing it.
  • image pooh8402:
    if I had a heart shaped e-ring, I'd wear it like a Claddagh ring. the point faces away and on the left hand if you are engaged, towards you on the left hand if you are married.

This is what I was thinking too. My wedding/engagement ring is actually a diamond-pave Claddagh and this is how I've always done it. (Since I'm married, point faces in.)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
    "The hardest thing is to live richly in the present without letting it be tainted out of fear for the future or regret for the past." - Sylvia Plath
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image steph81:
    I heard if you wear it facing outward that means you are "available" and if its facing you it means you are taken. 

Ditto! This is what I remember, and I think it's from the claddagh ring tradition that someone else mentioned.

Plus, I agree with the others that said you should wear it pointing toward you, because it's your ring and you're the one looking at it all the time.

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • image pooh8402:
    if I had a heart shaped e-ring, I'd wear it like a Claddagh ring. the point faces away and on the left hand if you are engaged, towards you on the left hand if you are married.

I have never heard this before! I love it. This will be my answer from now on for any nosy know-it-alls telling me I am doing it wrong. Big Smile Thanks! 

• image TobioLovesAce:

image pooh8402:

This is what I was thinking too. My wedding/engagement ring is actually a diamond-pave Claddagh and this is how I've always done it. (Since I'm married, point faces in.)

I was going to say the exact same thing!  I guess I've always applied it to all heart shape jewelry because that is what I'm used to!

imageimageimage
  • I think the wearer should have the advantage in appreciating their diamond's shape. Therefore, you can choose to wear it pointing any way you like.

If it is part of a Claddagh (Irish tradition) - and it was given to you as an engagement ring/promise ring, the heart would be turned toward you reflecting that your heart is taken.