Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What laundry detergent and fabric softener do you use?

I will be using All Free and Clear for the baby (after I finish the extremely overpriced box of Dreft) but I don't think my clothes smell fragrant enough. They actually don't really have a smell when they come out of the dryer, not even with two Gain sheets. So what do you use? I want my clothes to smell good, dangit!
image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What laundry detergent and fabric softener do you use?

• I use the Woolite HE, and vinegar instead of fabric softener as well.  I love the scent of everything when it comes out of the dryer since I've begun using it.
  • I love the smell of fresh out of the dryer clothes washed with scented detergent and softener, however I love being able to wear my clothes without scratching my skin off more. Sp I use All F&C and vinegar to soften. I'll continue to use these when the baby is here as well. There's no point in using two separate products when one will do the trick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use the Wal-Mart brand detergent in the pink bottle (don't remember the name of the scent) and Bounce dryer sheets.  I love the way my clothes smell from the dryer!

• We use ALL HE and Bounce fabric sheets- but I only use them for towels, sheets, heavy loads to freshen them up.

TTC since June 2010
    #1 MMC 9/7/10 @8w1d)D&;C
    #2 Loss 3/5/11 @14w5d (cystic hygroma and hydrops) D&E
    #3 Loss 7/21/11 @10w2d (cystic hygroma and hydrops)D&C
    #4 MMC 11/28/11 @9w6d D&C x2
    #5 Loss 9/25/12 @17w (21 mm cystic hygroma and hydroma)D&E
    Repeat D&E due to excessive left over POC = torn cervix
    DX: MTHFR & APS (anticardiolipin IgA)
    All genetics clear on DH & I
    Cannot determine genetic link so IVF with PGD is out
    Moving on to Adoption!!!
  • We use Tide Free HE & do not use fabric softener. I prefer my clothes not to smell.

*Detergents labeled 'free' usually don't have dyes or perfumes so they aren't going to make your clothes smell.

• I use vinegar and a Watkins brand detergent. Expensive but it gets my barn clothes clean.

Dh has scent issues so it's all clear and free. I don't really like detergent smells.

• I love tide mountain spring and snuggle black hydragnea and raspberry. Throw I tide bleach pack in there and my clothes smell delightful and clean. 

Follow Me on Twitter!!
    this wife bakes.

One of my favorite cakes ever! I had a blast making this..all handmade with buttercream suds!!!!
  • I use Tide Free and bounce dryer sheets.  I don't really want my clothes to smell like anything, I just want them to be clean.
    image image
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We use Kirkland brand (Costco) detergent and dryer sheets.  I use whatever fabric softener was on sale.

As far as babies, I used F&C for the first month or two and that was it.  When I took a maternity class before DC #1 was born, the nurse told us it wasn't a necessity to use F&C or Dreft.  The baby lays on our shoulders, sheets, etc and we use regular detergent.  Neither of our kids had reactions to regular detergent. 

• Right now I'm using Method mixed with Borax and white vinegar for fabric softener. My clothes smell fresh but not overly scented.
    DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • I use Gain Original Scent for detergent and dryer sheets.  I love everything smells so good coming out of the dryer.  That reminds me I need to do laundry tonight....ugh!
  • Mrs. Meyers!!!!! Lavender!!! So amazing! Best laundry smell ever! I totally get the wanting your clothes to smell out of the dryer, even though I know they shouldn't. The good thing about Mrs. Meyers is that it's very natural and doesn't have a lot of the chemicals regular detergents have. I also Make my own although I can't lie, it doesn't smell nearly as good.

I'm doing an article on it tomorrow, if you're interested stop by:

www,maillardvillemanor.com

~Ashli M

• i just started using Charlie's Soap- and i'm hooked.  i always loved the scented clean laundry smell, and i wasn't sure if i was going to like Charlie's because it's unscented- but it is really great.  i use white vinegar as fabric softener and my clothes have been coming out so clean and soft.  i definitely recommend it- that is, if you can give up that detergent scent. =)

also, i had tried borax in the past because of recommendations- but that made me super-itchy, i wouldn't use it if you have any skin sensitivities. 

Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I use the All Free and Clear for DH and I.  No kids. Part of that was because we were using an off brand that my IL use and I never had a problem with it before but became allergic to it.  My clothes don't smell like a gentle breeze like the dryer sheet box says but they're clean.  We also have rust in our water so I use clorox2 (for colors) or the clorox bleach (white bottle, light blue cap) for whites every time.  No fabric softener.  Was using it to make the clothes smell good but it didn't really matter and I didn't want to over do it just to get the yummy smell.
  • I use Tide with Downey and Bounce Lavendar Vanilla dryer sheets also I use liquid downey softener (either the blue lid or green lid of Downey not the pink lid)...People think I wear a certain perfume.....they come out fresh, scented and so soft from the dryer....love it!

I wash everything in cold...

Photobucket
  • Purex and Downy.  Our clothes smell so good.
  • I use whatever detergent is on sale and downy simple pleasures FS. For Ian I still use dreft, I love the smell. On clothdiapers I use all free and clear if I use anything else he gets a rash. 
  • image mrs.g_6708:
    I will be using All Free and Clear for the baby (after I finish the extremely overpriced box of Dreft) but I don't think my clothes smell fragrant enough. They actually don't really have a smell when they come out of the dryer, not even with two Gain sheets. So what do you use? I want my clothes to smell good, dangit!

Ok, the point of using All Free & Clear is that it has no added dyes or scents!  So if you are going to add extra gain sheets, presumably for the scent they give, there's no point in buying "free and clear" detergent.  So, do you want clothes with no added dyes/scents, or nice smelling clothes?   

We used AF&C when our kids were babies, and bounce non-scented dryer sheets.  Now Tide also makes a "free and clear" version.

I use Tide b/c I always have coupons for it, but I would also have no problem going back to all. 

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.