Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm new to this: Please explain vinegar to me!

I read many posts below and it seems there's a consensus that vinegar is a great cleaning product.  I'd like to convert.  Do you buy the white/clear vinegar in the food section at the grocery store?  What do you guys specifically use it on?  all cleaning?

TIA!

Re: I'm new to this: Please explain vinegar to me!

• Yup, just plain white distilled vinegar.

There are many ways to use it. Pour a little into your laundry rinse cycle in place of fabric softener. Since it's acidic, you can use it against hard water deposits and limescale, for example in a kettle or on your faucet heads. You can dilute it with water to clean your floors, windows and mirrors (google to find the appropriate recipe for each application). You can use vinegar and baking soda to clear drains. A little bowl of vinegar can also absorb odours.

These are just a few. Google "vinegar cleaning tips" or something like that to find more.

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • I buy vinegar in bulk from Sam's club.  It's very cheap.  I use baking soda & vinegar to clean toilets, shower, sinks, sometimes in the laundry, faucet heads.  I also make a few multi-purpose home cleaning solutions that I have found online and they include vinegar. Like PP said, google it, there are lots of great ways to use vinegar & best of all its cheap & healthier than chemical products.
  • I usually buy mine at Target (the aisle with the salad dressings).  I use it as an all purpose cleaner and for my laundry as a stain remover and fabric softener.  Here are some websites that can give you some suggestions:

http://cache.wisebread.com/254-uses-for-vinegar-and-counting

http://cache.wisebread.com/30-household-products-vinegar-can-replace

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • image T&A08:
    I buy vinegar in bulk from Sam's club.  It's very cheap. 

Ditto. Here, I buy vinegar from Costco. 1.3 gallons for a little more than 3 dollars. You just can't buy any other cleaning product for that cheap.

• I just started adding it to my laundry!  It's safe for the well, and it brightens clothes --- or it seems to.
  • Definitely works well with towels in the washer along with the soap to get the musty smell out.  MH sweats a bit when he's working out and thus is stinky.  No matter what happens, when he showers, and gets clean, the towel stinks!!!  I throw the towels in with the soap and vinegar and they're all better!  Definitely works if you've forgotten the towels in the washer, or any other items, on accident and they get that musty smell.
  • Every time I try to clean with vinegar it just stinks up my house. Is it just me?? Ways to avoid that?
    image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love using vinegar for cleaning.  It takes a lot of the 'elbow grease' out of scrubbing.  First, I put about 1 cup of vinegar in a bowl in the microwave and heat it up for about a minute until it steams up in there.  When I take the warm bowl out, I use a damp rag and wipe out the microwave.  The vinegar steam loosens up anything that may have splattered in there and cooked on.  It's also a great way to get odors out of there after reheating strong foods.  Then I pour the warm vinegar into a spray bottle and head to the bathroom.  I spray it on the faucets and all over the tub.  I leave it sit for a few minutes then rinse.  The warm vinegar breaks down soap scum!  I do it once a week now and very rarely do I have to actually 'scrub.'  It also breaks up any hard water deposits on the shower head, and makes all the fixtures shine like new every time.
  • image steenbean18:
    Every time I try to clean with vinegar it just stinks up my house. Is it just me?? Ways to avoid that?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

• thank you for posting this and the ones that posted links. very interesting.

I do know someone that uses it for underarms and he says that his life has changed. I know this may sound weird but it does make sense that it controls that odor too.

I will definetly be trying some of these solutions for cleaning.

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

JennyB's Contact!!!

252759_2133433934243_1197891513_32602090_8158869_n.jpg

• image RachelBurr:

image steenbean18:
    Every time I try to clean with vinegar it just stinks up my house. Is it just me?? Ways to avoid that?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

maybe try dilluting it a bit more. I'm not sure.