Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WWYD: Paying to be a member of a dog park

We have what looks like an awesome dog park about 4 miles (less than 5 minutes away) from our house.  However, it is a member's only park.  Cost is about $325 per year for one dog.  Would you pay the fee? 

It is 20 acres, all fenced, with a pond, dog rinsing/washing stations, club house, separate areas for big and small dogs, "dry" areas where they keep it from getting too muddy, has a giant sand hill for dogs to run up and down and dig in, a 1-mile walking/jogging trail, coffee bar and lounge, regular social events with members and their canine companions, and on and on.  Like I said, it looks pretty darn cool. I am going to check it out next week to see if it looks as good in person.

Would your answer change is you knew the the next closest off-leash dog park (actually the only free dog park in the city), was on the other side of town (at least 12 miles and probably about 25 minutes away) through sometimes heavy traffic, especially in the evenings)?

Does anyone else pay an annual fee to be a member of a dog park?

Re: WWYD: Paying to be a member of a dog park

• I would definately pay for that if i was able to.  That seems like an amazing dog park.

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Jr/Juniorisborn114-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/Juniorisborn178.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/azurite78/agility3-1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtvVHNJ/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtvVHNJ/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • Does your dog need a temperment evaluation before becoming a member?

If the answer to that is "yes" then I would absolutely become a member. We've almost stopped going to dog parks all together because of idiotic owners taking under-socialized dogs into situations that are dangerous for everyone. I can't imagine a less-than-ideal dog owner paying that much for a service like this.

• There's a dog park about 20-25 minutes from me that is members only (you  pay an annual fee or per visit)-it's almost 10 acres fenced, with a shelter in case of rain, a good sized pond and dock, and lots of room to run.  Plus, you have to show proof that your dog is UTD on shots and speutered.  I've only been there once (first visit is free) and wouldn't be against taking Georgie again and paying the visit fee but we have great free dog parks that are a lot closer so that's the only reason I haven't been back.

For all those amenities that you listed, I'd definitely think about paying the membership fee...especially since it's so close.  If you check it out and love it, and can afford the fee, I say go for it!

• It sounds like a canine country club!

If I were independently wealthy, I suppose I would join. That's not the case, so no, I definitely wouldn't pay that amount. I would stick to play dates and drive to the other park occasionally.

There is a park here that is $5 per visit or $50 for a year. I refuse to pay that amount when there are 3 other free parks.  

• For your dog to be a member, you need to show proof of bortadella, distemper, rabies, a negative fecal test (mo more than 6 months old) and go through a temperament test.

You must also let them know if your dog has ever attacked another dog or if they have ever bitten a person.  

You need to provide your vet's information and male dogs over 6 months must be neutered.  

Like I said, it looks pretty cool and they seem to have a pretty thorough application process.

• I'm so jealous! That sounds awesome.

• Yes, I would definitely.

• For that park? Yes I would. It sounds awesome! 

• image RegalBeagle:

It sounds like a canine country club!

If I were independently wealthy, I suppose I would join. That's not the case, so no, I definitely wouldn't pay that amount. I would stick to play dates and drive to the other park occasionally.

There is a park here that is $5 per visit or $50 for a year. I refuse to pay that amount when there are 3 other free parks.  

While we are not independently wealthy, I am leaning toward paying.  Especially since we have only one free dog park in the city (which is pretty sucky) and it is so much farther away.  

• I guess that came out a bit presumptuous ;) I'm a grad student. If I weren't and I had the available funds, I'd be all for it. It sounds fun!
  • That's OK, no worries. I was thinking it was pretty expensive myself. Which is why I asked the question.

Now I just need to convince DH that this is a good idea.  Smile

• $325 x 4 dogs = $1300.00

No, I would not pay. 

ETA: ...but if I only had one dog, it was conveniently located to my home, and we would use it often then YES I would pay.  It's less than a dollar a day.

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.
  • I'm a member of the park youre talking about. UtIt is absolutely worth every penny, especially when winter hits and itsit's too icy to take long walks.
  • We pay for Lola to go to doggie daycare at least once a week so yes, I would pay for the dog park. 
  • Yes. We have in the past. It sounds very much like this one. It was also where we took obedience and agility. Then as members who have tajpken agility we were allowed to use the equipment any time we wanted. We did not renew this past year due to high vet bills. We plan to again but it is the only place Lily can run free on trails (and off trail for that matter).
  • image RegalBeagle:

It sounds like a canine country club!

I agree with this...IF I had the money I would definitely want to join a place like that, but other than that, no. If you have the money and it is a SUPER NICE place then do it! It also depends how much nicer it is than the 'free' dog park on the other side of town.

We are fortunate to have 3 dog parks within 15 minutes of our house. I always say I LOVE to go because it is free entertainment. One of the parks we go to (which we went to today!) has a water fountain for the dogs as well as lights that turn on when it is dark out! There aren't any bodies of water or anything else fancy, but my kids hate the water anyhow Stick out tongue

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • image stargazertechie:
    I'm a member of the park youre talking about. UtIt is absolutely worth every penny, especially when winter hits and itsit's too icy to take long walks.

Good to know that the park is Pestie visited. 

And I was thinking that having access to the park in the winter would be a good thing since they plow the walks and it is fenced in so the dogs can run around like crazy.

• image stargazertechie:
    I'm a member of the park youre talking about. UtIt is absolutely worth every penny, especially when winter hits and itsit's too icy to take long walks.

Oh, I should also say "Hello neighbor!"  Or at least "hello someone who lives in the same general vicinity!"   Smile 

• GBCKGBCK member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker

I don't think that I could justify the expense...and it's a matter of persective but...25 miles to get to the other park just doesn't strike me as *that far*.

But the charge one does sound amazing--just a matter of persepctive and cashflow :-)

• We've paid annual fees for dog parks before but nowhere near that price. Usually like $50. Not sure if I would pay $325 or not...it'd obviously depend if I had extra dough available...
  • image wag more. bark less:

$325 x 4 dogs = $1300.00

No, I would not pay. 

ETA: ...but if I only had one dog, it was conveniently located to my home, and we would use it often then YES I would pay.  It's less than a dollar a day.

For our park the additional cost to add a second, third dog is like $12. We don't have a free off leash park within 30 min and this one is 10 min.
  • image straymo:
    image wag more. bark less:

$325 x 4 dogs = $1300.00

No, I would not pay. 

For our park the additional cost to add a second, third dog is like $12. We don't have a free off leash park within 30 min and this one is 10 min.

There is a minimal fee for additional dogs.  The biggest expense is the first dog.  

• image GBCK:

I don't think that I could justify the expense...and it's a matter of persective but...25 miles to get to the other park just doesn't strike me as *that far*.

But the charge one does sound amazing--just a matter of persepctive and cashflow :-)

I get what you are saying. And to some extent I agree about the price, which is why I am torn. 

I just have a feeling that we wouldn't go to the free park as often since it wouldn't just be around the corner so going on the spur of the moment won't happen.  Or if we did go, we wouldn't stay as long since travel time to and from the park would add an hour to however long we planned to be out.  

The pay park could allow us to go several times a week since it is so close to the house.  

• How often do you think you will use it? If it's once a week that breaks down to $6.25 per week, which is not all that bad. If you go more than that, then it would be cheaper per use. I like to break things down by per use cost, I am a giant dork that way.

For my dogs, no I would not join. But if I had dogs that liked to run and swim and play, absolutely. I think it would be a lot of fun and a god way to meet some like minded people as well!
  • That sounds like a great park, but we couldn't pay that. $325 times 2 dogs on top of all the medication and vet bills we have is something we just can't swing right now. If we had the money available without taking it from another 'fund' then totally I would love to pay to use that park! Everyone is going to have a different answer because of different finances.

We currently pay $40 a year for 1 of the dog parks by us. This is $40 for either 1 or 2 dogs (2 max per handler) so when we added Penny a few weeks ago, it didn't cost us any extra.

We also pay $20 a year (they say "per family" but don't specify how many dogs that can be!) for another dog park that is nice and has a small dog area (the one mentioned above doesn't).

So for $60 a year we have access to 2 amazing, fenced in, trailed, huge dog parks.

• image karome:

I am going to check it out next week to see if it looks as good in person.

It's amazing. I just want to let you know though the "dry" areas can get muddy in heavy spring rains. You'll see the spot when you check it out next week- it's the back area, if you turn right out of the club house and walk past the pond.

This park is the only reason we have dogs. Brewer ate my biochem notebook the day before my final (3 days after getting him). He was my first dog, and I was overwhelmed. I told Brian if this park didn't work, we were finding him a new home ( I was frustrated). 

The owner is amazing, and she comes in to do a lot of club shopping at the store I work at.  It's also a pittie-friendly atmosphere, and in the last three years, we've never had a problem. 

And as an aside, if you ever want to have a puppy playdate, I live on the southwest side- it takes about 20 minutes to get to the park from my house (now that the highway's open again, not so bad though). 

• image stargazertechie:

And as an aside, if you ever want to have a puppy playdate, I live on the southwest side- it takes about 20 minutes to get to the park from my house (now that the highway's open again, not so bad though). 

A puppy playdate sounds great.  As soon as Willow "gets out of the pokey" (she is still in the rescue's prisoner training program) in mid-Sept. (or there abouts) and she gets settled in, we should set something up.  

You can tell from my post that I live about 5 minutes from the park (about 3 miles) which is why the park sounds so appealing.  Will keep you posted on whether or not we join.

• I'm also super jealous that you're SO close to petsmart. I can't tell you how many times we've gone to the park, gotten the pups NICE and tired, and then dropped them off for grooming. Nothing like bringing a squeaky clean exhausted dog home 
  • I personally wouldn't, but we don't go to the dog park that often. I think it depends on how much you would really use it. But I also agree that the other park doesn't sound far away to me.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • No. Then again dog parks are free here in TX. It's crazy to me that people have to pay to go to them.