Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Thinking about getting a pet rat anyone had one??

Re: Thinking about getting a pet rat anyone had one??

• I have the perfect pet for you!  They cost less than $10, run around in a little ball, and never get sick! http://www.zhuzhupets.com/main.html 

YWIA!!!!!!!!!

• image DandelionMom:

I have the perfect pet for you!  They cost less than $10, run around in a little ball, and never get sick! http://www.zhuzhupets.com/main.html 

YWIA!!!!!!!!!

Even better than the pet rock!!!

Move along, nothing to see here.....
  • image JosiePosy:
    What about this?

She'd probably rehome it when the batteries died. Too much of an investment 

• ya right were i live no one allows pets in apartments it just doesn't happen unless you want to pay 150 more a month and i can't afford that on top of all my other bills as well. The only way to have a pet is if you rent a house or buy one i can't afford a house yet. I have had people not rent to me because of my age you think they will rent to me with a dog or cat not gonna happen. I had to give my cat to a friend it was someone i knew and trusted who already had one cat. I still go over and see her. i miss her =[ but we looked at about 20 places and none allowed pets so we had no choice.
    Anniversary
    "A women who can kneel before the Lord can stand up to anything"
  • Go get YOUR rat and go away!
  • image lisa2008boo:
    ya right were i live no one allows pets in apartments it just doesn't happen unless you want to pay 150 more a month and i can't afford that on top of all my other bills as well. The only way to have a pet is if you rent a house or buy one i can't afford a house yet. I have had people not rent to me because of my age you think they will rent to me with a dog or cat not gonna happen. I had to give my cat to a friend it was someone i knew and trusted who already had one cat. I still go over and see her. i miss her =[ but we looked at about 20 places and none allowed pets so we had no choice.

Sweetheart, when I was your age I rented with FOUR pets.  And I was a poor college student.  Nice try though.  You made an irresponsible move and dumped your pet.  If you couldn't afford a piddly $150 to keep your cat, you shouldn't have had the cat in the first place.

Same goes for when you can't/won't provide care when your new little pet store rat inevitably becomes ill, and you'll choose not to pay the vet bills.

Again, grow up, get financially stable, THEN get a pet.  They aren't cheap if your properly take care of them, sweetheart.

Love.
  • image lisa2008boo:
    The only way to have a pet is if you rent a house or buy one i can't afford a house yet. I have had people not rent to me because of my age you think they will rent to me with a dog or cat not gonna happen. I had to give my cat to a friend it was someone i knew and trusted who already had one cat. I still go over and see her. i miss her =[ but we looked at about 20 places and none allowed pets so we had no choice.

I am by no means saying I'm "in the norm" but I closed on my first home when I was 21. I had two cats starting my sophomore year in college, and I always found a place to live that accepted my cats as well.  

• image lisa2008boo:
    ya right were i live no one allows pets in apartments it just doesn't happen unless you want to pay 150 more a month and i can't afford that on top of all my other bills as well. The only way to have a pet is if you rent a house or buy one i can't afford a house yet. I have had people not rent to me because of my age you think they will rent to me with a dog or cat not gonna happen. I had to give my cat to a friend it was someone i knew and trusted who already had one cat. I still go over and see her. i miss her =[ but we looked at about 20 places and none allowed pets so we had no choice.

DO NOT BUY AN ANIMAL OF ANY KIND.  Buying an animal means you are agreeing to pay for vet bills.  I agree with other PPs that you should invest in a pet rock which will be a lifelong friend and not cost you more than 10 dollars in the long run.

Edited to add: Before you were living where you are now I'm assuming you were living with your parents.  So your pet owning experience consists of playing with your parents puppies and them paying the vet bills, am I right? It's very different to do it on your own. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well im sorry but the few have messed it up for the many pets can destroy apartments and landlords don't wanna take that risk, I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment but now a days it would never happen times have changed.  And $150 a month on top of an already $600 for a one bedroom, a car payment, insurance on two cars, cell phone bill, cable and internet, electric bill, school expenses, gas and food. It may not be a lot to you but we know what is in our budget and we were going to be strapped for other things I am not going to starve so I can have a cat in an apartment. That's ridiculous that you would even say that I didn't have a choice and I did what I needed to do. My cat is in a loving home and is properly being cared for that's all that matters.
    Anniversary
  • image lisa2008boo:
    Well im sorry but the few have messed it up for the many pets can destroy apartments and landlords don't wanna take that risk, I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment but now a days it would never happen times have changed.  And $150 a month on top of an already $600 for a one bedroom, a car payment, insurance on two cars, cell phone bill, cable and internet, electric bill, school expenses, gas and food. It may not be a lot to you but we know what is in our budget and we were going to be strapped for other things I am not going to starve so I can have a cat in an apartment. That's ridiculous that you would even say that I didn't have a choice and I did what I needed to do. My cat is in a loving home and is properly being cared for that's all that matters.

There are MANY girls here that rent with mulitiple pets. You are full off poo.

EDIT: maybe if you didn't spend so much on pro portraits you'd have $$$ to spend

• No I haven't lived at home since I was 17. It was in an apartment with a roommate but I had to pay an extra charge for my pet but once I got married and combined our bills the pet charge just wasn't able to fit into our budget. We tried to look for places that would allow it or had a lower charge but it just didn't happen I had to give my cat that I had raised from a kitten to a friend. =[ When I get a house someday I will probably get her back but I just can't afford to have her in an apartment.
    Anniversary
  • image lisa2008boo:
    Well im sorry but the few have messed it up for the many pets can destroy apartments and landlords don't wanna take that risk, I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment but now a days it would never happen times have changed.  And $150 a month on top of an already $600 for a one bedroom, a car payment, insurance on two cars, cell phone bill, cable and internet, electric bill, school expenses, gas and food. It may not be a lot to you but we know what is in our budget and we were going to be strapped for other things I am not going to starve so I can have a cat in an apartment. That's ridiculous that you would even say that I didn't have a choice and I did what I needed to do. My cat is in a loving home and is properly being cared for that's all that matters.

Again, periods would be super helpful in understanding your run-on sentences.  Like the first one:  Well im sorry but the few have messed it up for the many (PERIOD) Pets can destroy apartments and landlords don't wanna take that risk (PERIOD) I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment (COMMA) but now a days it would never happen (PERIOD) times have changed.

We are the same age and your grammar skills embarrass me. When to place period is something we all learn in elementary school. 

• image lisa2008boo:
    I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment but now a days it would never happen times have changed.  

My roommates and I had a total of 4 cats in an apartment from 2007-2009.

image lisa2008boo:

And $150 a month on top of an already $600 for a one bedroom, a car payment, insurance on two cars, cell phone bill, cable and internet, electric bill, school expenses, gas and food. It may not be a lot to you but we know what is in our budget and we were going to be strapped for other things I am not going to starve so I can have a cat in an apartment. 

So having a cell phone and cable was more important than your cat that you supposedly CARED SO MUCH ABOUT?  

You need to grow up, lose the sense of entitlement, and learn to prioritize.  

• I actually work on a college campus with students your age on a daily basis, and many of them have multiple pets in rented apartments.  Again, nice try.  You can deny it all you want, but you are a completely immature, irresponsible pet owner (dumper), and really shouldn't get another pet until you can financially care for it for the duration of its life (not just until it's been worth your "investment.") 

You really can't be this stupid, can you?  Sadly, you've already indirectly answered that question...

Love.
  • I don't pay money I get paid modeling is a job.
    Anniversary
  • image LadyMadrid08:

image lisa2008boo:

Again, periods would be super helpful in understanding your run-on sentences.  Like the first one:  Well im sorry but the few have messed it up for the many (PERIOD) Pets can destroy apartments and landlords don't wanna take that risk (PERIOD) I don't know how long it was that you had 4 pets in an apartment (COMMA) but now a days it would never happen (PERIOD) times have changed.

We are the same age and your grammar skills embarrass me. When to place period is something we all learn in elementary school. 

I PPH you. That is all.

• image lisa2008boo:
    No I haven't lived at home since I was 17. It was in an apartment with a roommate but I had to pay an extra charge for my pet but once I got married and combined our bills the pet charge just wasn't able to fit into our budget. We tried to look for places that would allow it or had a lower charge but it just didn't happen I had to give my cat that I had raised from a kitten to a friend. =[ When I get a house someday I will probably get her back but I just can't afford to have her in an apartment.

I am curious how you are going to get her back.  You think this friend you gave her to will just reliquish ownership whenever you snap your fingers?  I'm sorry you had to give your cat away, but it's obvious that owning a pet of any kind is not something you should be doing at this time in your life. 

• image starlettedir:
    image LadyMadrid08:

image lisa2008boo:

I PPH you. That is all.

PPH me?  Is that something bad?  I hope not... 

• image LadyMadrid08:
    image starlettedir:
    image LadyMadrid08:

image lisa2008boo:

I PPH you. That is all.

Pink Puffy Heart. It's good!

• when you get a pet, you are committing to take care of it.  you have already shown that you are incapable/unable to take care of a pet by giving away your cat.  you're young, still getting settled, now isn't the right time to get a pet.  not until you realize pets aren't disposable, and you have an obligation to them to get proper vet care.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • Seriously, get a zhuzhu pet.  My little girls think they're great. 
  • image starlettedir:
    image LadyMadrid08:
    image starlettedir:
    image LadyMadrid08:

image lisa2008boo:

I PPH you. That is all.

Pink Puffy Heart. It's good!

:)  In that case, thanks!  

• DUMPER??? really overly dramatic much. I gave the cat to a friend that I trust who already has a cat and I still go and see her. I didn't put her on the side of the road don't be a jerk. I would say looking at 20 places is trying I wanted to keep her very badly and cried like a baby when I had to leave her at my friends house. Sometimes things just don;t work out how you want them to.
    Anniversary
  • The run-on sentences in your posts are giving me a headache.
    imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • image lisa2008boo:
    I don't pay money I get paid modeling is a job.

Here I thought you made coffee everyday.

But clearly, in modeling, you don't have to know proper punctuation.

• image nital:

when you get a pet, you are committing to take care of it.  you have already shown that you are incapable/unable to take care of a pet by giving away your cat.  you're young, still getting settled, now isn't the right time to get a pet.  not until you realize pets aren't disposable, and you have an obligation to them to get proper vet care.

I think that one word just summarizes the OP perfectly in every respect.

Lisa, 

You could afford your cat when you had a roommate, but then you got married and can't afford the cat now.

Before you had a roommate to share the bills with. Now you have a roommate you hop in the sack with and you share the bills with.

Two incomes before, two incomes after. I'm confused as to where the problem is... 

• image lisa2008boo:
    DUMPER??? really overly dramatic much. I gave the cat to a friend that I trust who already has a cat and I still go and see her. I didn't put her on the side of the road don't be a jerk. I would say looking at 20 places is trying I wanted to keep her very badly and cried like a baby when I had to leave her at my friends house. Sometimes things just don;t work out how you want them to.

You had a cat.  Now you don't have a cat.  The cat is still alive.  You dumped your cat.  It's pretty simple, by getting an animal you commit to them for the duration of their life.  You didn't follow through on that commitment.

A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • image lisa2008boo:
    DUMPER??? really overly dramatic much. I gave the cat to a friend that I trust who already has a cat and I still go and see her. I didn't put her on the side of the road don't be a jerk. I would say looking at 20 places is trying I wanted to keep her very badly and cried like a baby when I had to leave her at my friends house. Sometimes things just don;t work out how you want them to.

You do realize that a pet deposit is a ONE time fee. You really couldn't have handled not having cable for 2-3 months so that you could pay your ONE TIME deposit of $150?

• image lisa2008boo:

Getting rid of your cat = dumping her.  Abandoning your commitments, making your friend financially responsible for what should have been your animal.  It doesn't matter who you gave her to, it was still an irresponsible, awful move to make. 

I love that you can justify it in your mind though - that must make you feel a lot better, huh? 

Love.