Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Thinking about getting a pet rat anyone had one??

Re: Thinking about getting a pet rat anyone had one??

• If you are not willing to properly care for one (or two), please do not get a rat. They are very intelligent animals and will be able to tell.

If you are just looking for something to be a placeholder until you can get a dog, I would suggest a pet rock.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image closapio:

If you are not willing to properly care for one (or two), please do not get a rat. They are very intelligent animals and will be able to tell.

If you are just looking for something to be a placeholder until you can get a dog, I would suggest a pet rock.

Yes

• When did I ever say I wasn't going to take care of it?? i will clean the cage and change the bedding they will be properly feed and watered daily.As well as handled on a daily bases. And they will be given antibiodics for any eye problems or runny nose issues but those will not occure unless they are in a dirty enviroment wich they won't be. All their needs will be met. But if they get tumors I'm putting them down that's just common sense.
    Anniversary
    "A women who can kneel before the Lord can stand up to anything"
  • You are missing the point.

You are wanting rats until you can get a dog. I get it - dogs are great! I have also had rats, and they live a LOT longer than 1-2 years. If you do decide to get a pet rat or two, you need to be prepared to care for it for the duration of its life. 

Just because a rat gets a tumor, that isn't necessarily a reason to put it down. Maybe it is a fatty tumor. Maybe the tumor is benign. You won't figure those answers out without a vet bill. Vet bills, hate to say it, can cost more money than the $10 that you spent to buy the rat.

Save yourself some time, save yourself some money, and get a pet rock. You won't get attached, it won't get tumors, and in a couple of years, when you can get a dog, I'll ask that you keep the rock and not get a dog (because you obviously have no idea what taking care of animals entails).

• I won't be getting a dog we are living in this apartment until we have kids and that won't be for about 4 years I'm not waiting that long to have a pet. And of course I want to get attached it's my pet !!! I was talking about lab rats and them having illnesses and dying shortly after getting them. I would just rather get one from the pet store that's all I was saying you are blowing this way out of proportion. And I will not be told that I can't have a rat just because I'm not willing to pay for major vet care such as surgery on an animal that only cost me 10 bucks. That's ridiculous and not realistic especially when I have already stated I am willing to care for all of the daily needs and minor medical issues. It's my money and my animal I don't want this to be a fight you have your pinion and I have mine if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a rat to get surgery that may not even work you go for it I will vote to have it put to sleep. Either way this is all hypothetical and may never even happen they could be totally healthy with no issues and live long lives and die of old age. Who knows I'll deal with it when the comes hopefully it never does.

we are going to have to agree to disagree

Anniversary
  • I refuse to agree to disagree with you.

You are wrong.

If you get a rat from a pet store, you won't necessarily get a healthier rat. You might get a sick rat. And you will certainly be putting money in the pockets of money-grubbing mill owners who churn out pets after pets.

Do you realize how much it costs to euthanize an animal? It can be in the hundreds of dollars.

Animals are not placeholders for babies.

A pet rock is the ONLY thing that you should get. If you are worried about it being lonely, get two.

But please do not get a rat. Or a dog. Or a fish. Or a cat. 

Once the rat chews through something it shouldn't because you got bored with it or tired of watching it (and yes, MH lost a few shirts to his rats), you will be over it. You aren't invested, as your previous posts have stated.

Save yourself some money and go to your courtyard, pick a pretty rock, tie a bow around it, and hold on to that for four years. Or be happy with what you already have (a ball python, right?), and learn to love that.

• Also - paragraphs will make your posts a LOT easier to read. As it is, they are a jumble of information that gives headaches to the people trying to read.
  • You act like I've never had pets I've had cats and dogs my whole life all were well taken care of .....I will be getting my pet so don't tell me what to do and I don't want a baby for several years so this pet isn't replacing anything. It's a pet and nothing more my husband got his snake and now it is my turn to get something for me plus my birthday is coming up and it is a gift mind your own business and stop being judgmental when you know nothing about my pet skills or pte owner history.
    Anniversary
  • The "You can't tell me what to do, I DO WHAT I WANT" attitude will really not get you very far in life.

No one is assuming anything about your "pet skills", they are going by what you have said in this post. 

As for your unwillingness to pay for major medical needs for a "$10 rat"...just for arguments sake, do you think someone who pays a really low adoption fee for a cat or dog should also be exempt from adequately caring for them? I mean, the last cat I adopted was during a special adoption event, so she was only like, $20 dollars. Clearly that means I shouldn't "waste" money taking care of her as she ages, right?

I put it like that because I hope you realize how ridiculous you sound. I don't care if you pay $10 or $10,000, once you take responsibility for a LIVING THING it is up to you to actually live up to that responsibility. No one is suggesting that anyone keep a pet alive if they are in pain and there is nothing that can be done. But doing everything that CAN be done for your pet is part of being a responsible pet owner.

And, for the record, Closapio was right. Sometimes pets get tumors that are not cause for a death sentence. If you are unwilling to treat those issues, you have no business owning a pet. I know, I know, it's "your turn" for a pet and you are going to do what you want to do whether it is smart and responsible or not. That is the mark of maturity. 

• image closapio:

A pet rock is the ONLY thing that you should get. If you are worried about it being lonely, get two.

Save yourself some money and go to your courtyard, pick a pretty rock, tie a bow around it, and hold on to that for four years. Or be happy with what you already have (a ball python, right?), and learn to love that.

..::snort::..

• I don't know that I would refer to living, breathing things as "investments" on this board.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • GBCKGBCK member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker

*beating head on desk*

RESCUE RATS ARE NOT FORMER LAB RATS.

(Everyone else has covered the REST of your stupidity really well--and no, I won't agree to disagree with you either--you're wrong.  Plain and simple.  And if you won't even have the good grace to have a vet-check of the animal, you've no business owning one.  Yes, there is a point where one can't justify the expense of prolonging ife but there's also the recognition that you've made a commitment to an animal and it's life.)

But on the main point of stupidity I wanted to address...you couldn't get your hands on a flucking labratory rat that was 'injected with who knows what' if you TRIED.  

Rats in rescues = PETS.  They are pets that someone (I'll go out on a limb and say, usually someone irresponsible who thinks a lot like you about how 'disposable' a $10 rat is) has decided isn't worth keeping.  They have never seen the inside of a labratory

You need to learn how to google, show a modicum of common sense, and do some research. 

Of course, given your attitude right here?  any rescue w/ any brains isn't going to let you have one of their rats.

• well thank you for telling me that i didn't know that but i think i'll be getting one from the pet store
    Anniversary
  • Of course the married girl born in 1990 would treat pets as disposable. Why does none of this surprise me.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker

well, if you're at ALL interested in making sure you have a healthy animal, youi won't go to a pet-store.  They are 'mill' animals, bred w/o regard to health--hell, at least if you get it from a rescue, it may still be from a mill, but most likely it has seen a vet.

Do some reading:

http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html

(scroll down a wee bit on the above one)

http://www.brecklagh.com/petshops.html

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4073066.msg4765221/,

• OP, you're a heartless, immature little twit, and you have absolutely no business being the caretaker of a living creature based on your attitude here.

If you take a living creature into your care, you are responsible for giving it proper treatment (including medical treatment).   That consists far more than giving it food and water and cleaning a cage.   If you'd rather (in this hypothetical situation) kill off an animal that may have years to live, rather than properly treat it, you suck at life.

What if you get a dog for free?  Is it then not a wise decision to put money into its medical care?  Because that would be a bad investment since it was free, right?  Or is that suddenly different because a dog holds more worth to you than a rat?

Seriously, it shows that you're only 20.  Grow up a lot, then think about what it takes to actually be the caretaker/provider for a helpless animal.

Love.
  • image js527:

OP, you're a heartless, immature little twit, and you have absolutely no business being the caretaker of a living creature based on your attitude here.

I agree with this and would add "selfish" to the list. It is selfish to buy a pet from a pet store when there are good animals in shelters. It is selfish to buy a pet knowing that you don't plan on taking responsibility for it. It is selfish to adopt the attitude of "It's MY turn...but I WANT one...". You sound like a spoiled brat. 

Of course, because you are so immature you will undoubtedly be back to tell us how mean WE are and how we are wrong and you are right.

*waits patiently*

• image ARO1018:
    image js527:

OP, you're a heartless, immature little twit, and you have absolutely no business being the caretaker of a living creature based on your attitude here.

I agree with this and would add "selfish" to the list. It is selfish to buy a pet from a pet store when there are good animals in shelters. It is selfish to buy a pet knowing that you don't plan on taking responsibility for it. It is selfish to adopt the attitude of "It's MY turn...but I WANT one...". You sound like a spoiled brat. 

Of course, because you are so immature you will undoubtedly be back to tell us how mean WE are and how we are wrong and you are right.

*waits patiently*

I agree with this 1000%

• wow everyone in here is just a little on the dramatic side..... iv been doing days of research i know what i am getting and how to properly care for it i've gotten animals from pet stores before and have never had any problems. every animal i have ever owned has died of old age or i had to give it away because i couldn't have it were i was living. i have never had animals get sick or have any major health issues. and as long as it is being kept in a clean enviroment and has a proper diet all of those things go into having a clean bill of health from the get go. so everyone please calm down and take a breather im an adult i am perfectly capable of having an animal i've done it before and i can do it again.....gezzzz
    Anniversary
  •  will be getting my rats on friday im sooo excited !!!!
    Anniversary
  • image lisa2008boo:
    wow everyone in here is just a little on the dramatic side..... iv been doing days of research i know what i am getting and how to properly care for it i've gotten animals from pet stores before and have never had any problems. every animal i have ever owned has died of old age or i had to give it away because i couldn't have it were i was living. i have never had animals get sick or have any major health issues. and as long as it is being kept in a clean enviroment and has a proper diet all of those things go into having a clean bill of health from the get go. so everyone please calm down and take a breather im an adult i am perfectly capable of having an animal i've done it before and i can do it again.....gezzzz

You just don't get it, do you?

• You are an idiot and you either aren't reading the responses or your reading comprehension is so bad that you're just not getting it.

The reason adoption was suggested is because pet store animals generally come from unscrupulous backgrounds. So when you buy from a pet store you are perpetuating that cycle when you could adopt an animal and save a life. 

If you insist on getting a pet, I would start an emergency fund for said pet so you can actually take care of any medical problems that might come up. No one is saying your rat WILL ABSOLUTELY get sick, but it can happen to any animal, so you should be prepared. It's what RESPONSIBLE people do. I'll say it again: responsible. Look it up.

You are obviously completely oblivious to anything that goes on in the real world, as evident from your post here and your posts on the other boards. You may be an "adult" but you have a lot of growing up to do.

ETA: I completely missed the part where you said you've given pets away because you couldn't have them where you were living. I'm done with this mess, I can't handle this much stupidity. Congrats on your rat, I'm super excited that you'll be getting what you want even though you are clearly too immature to be responsible for anything other than the aforementioned pet rock.

• image lisa2008boo:
    or i had to give it away because i couldn't have it were i was living. 

Um, you NEVER have to give an animal away because of "where you live". If you have an animal, you need to find pet-friendly housing. If you can't take the responsibility to find an appropriate place to live with an animal you made a commitment to, you are NOT mature enough to have a pet.  

Thank god you don't want kids yet, because there is no way in hell you're mature enough to raise a kid. 

Please take your know-it-all attitude and find another board to piss off. You've already been run off of two other boards for stirring the pot.  

• Seriously, are you a teenager??  Everything you have said in this post reminds me of every immature, spoiled 14-year-old I have ever known.

Since you have been doing DAYS of research, I am sure that you will make a fabulous pet owner.  Indifferent

• image Mrs.Shellfish:

Seriously, are you a teenager??  Everything you have said in this post reminds me of every immature, spoiled 14-year-old I have ever known.

You're not far off - check out the drama she's started on Family Matters. I'm almost not for sure if she's real.

• Christ, the run-ons... Periods are your friends.  >>.<<
    Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• image **ZippityDoDa**:
    image Mrs.Shellfish:

Seriously, are you a teenager??  Everything you have said in this post reminds me of every immature, spoiled 14-year-old I have ever known.

You're not far off - check out the drama she's started on Family Matters. I'm almost not for sure if she's real.

Edit: She also posted a "nothing wrong with getting married young" on ML

Both are rather amusing reads.  

• image lisa2008boo:
    It's a 10 dollar rat.... I'm sorry but there is no need in spending hundreds to take it to the vet for something like cancer I'm sorry but in this economy that's not smart I don't have that kind of money 10 vs. 200 you do the math. And if you buy an animal for 10 dollars and have it as a loving pet for 3 years I would say it was a good investment and worth every penny. And I do want to get attached but I don't want to get an already sick animal and then get attached and have it die because it got injected with something in a lab I didn't know about until it was to late. I'm not saying if the rat has minor things then of course I will pay for medicine or antibiotics but I'm not taking a 10 dollar rat i for surgery that's just not practical. I would rather have it humanly euthanize if it were a dog that was 200 dollars that would be different but not a 10 dollar rat.

I spent $20 on the adoption of my terrier mix, Benji, I have had for 8 years. We haves probably spent 400 times that on vet bills and other needed things for him. Should I have just said 'the hell with being sick, I only spent $20 on him' ???? Wait, I get attached to my family members...

Rats are EXTREMELY intelligent and are not disposable pets. We used to rescue ones when the novelty worn off for their previous owners...

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • For the record, you don't want a rat. They have high rates of cancer. I can't find any  real articles that would be at your reading comprehension level, but as an owner of 5+ rats for over a decade (yeah, back when you were in still playing with Barbies), I've experienced and performed multiple "tumor removals."

Since you don't want to deal with cancer, you shouldn't get a rat since it's basically inevitable.

A pet rock could be a good option.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/tumors.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1804&aid=2746

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173291.php

Move along, nothing to see here.....