Decorating & Renovating

Share your most successful IKEA purchases!

In other words...what have you bought there that has made a big difference in your home and how the quality was!

Re: Share your most successful IKEA purchases!

• anything from ikea?

these recycling bins have been a lifesaver

SORTERA Recycling bin with lid white Width: 15 ? " Depth: 21 ? " Height: 17 ? " Volume: 16 gallon  Width: 39 cm Depth: 55 cm Height: 45 cm Volume: 60 l

we have 3, plastic, glass and aluminum. they are neatly stacked in our backyard, its easy for our guests to throw the items in the right compartment. as for the quality, they are great considering they are outdoors and take a beating from the weather (ca weather is harsh you know Smile ). my husband broke the top of one bin but they are super cheap and I didnt mind getting a new one.

• We have a few IKEA pieces in our house. The newest is the EXPEDIT 4x4 shelving in the dark brown color. Easy to put together, and it looks awesome now that our things are organized (we also bought some of the storage boxes that go with it). Some of the cubes are for storage and some are for books. I think it cost $129. It looks nice in my husband's office.http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071319 & the boxes: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70180390

Our TV console is also awesome. It looks great in our living room and holds all of DH's xbox/ps3 stuff (which makes me happy). If we want, we can close the doors and hide all of the things in it.http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138137

We have a 4-drawer dresser that we use as an entry way piece that has been marvelous for storing DVDs/games/etc. (at one point, our fine china and silver). http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70053924

Basically, IKEA is favorite kind of furniture store because of the prices, quality, and the ease of assembly. Everything we've bought from them has been worth the headache of navigating their huge store (and all the crazy crowds). If you aren't down with crowds, they do ship for a price.

• Many years ago, we purchased some wood bookshelves (two units), that fit perfectly on either side of the window in the family room.  It gives the impression of built ins.  They are really sturdy and people always seem impressed by them.  They don't sell them anymore.

We recently got rid of a dining room table and chairs that were really nice quality.  They were so old that they were black ash finish.lol  I considered painting them, but I wanted something a different style.

We have a lack shelf addiction.  I love them.  We have a tower that we use horizontally as a bench with baskets for storage.   We have quite a few of the wall mounted shelves that we primed and painted.  I have one that hangs over a large doorway.  I used a gel stain on it and it looks like wood now.  We put corbels under it so it looks like they are holding it up, and no one ever guesses that it isn't a thick wood plank.

Storage bags.  They are big bags that zip and have webbing handles.  I use them to store fabric, and have used them to store work projects and haul them back and forth.

*sigh* I love Ikea.

• steverstever member
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker

My Ektorp sofa. The slipcovers are the only way I'd be able to have a white sofa and my DS in the same roomStick out tongue

Am reserving judgment on my Trollsta sideboard.  We needed something with its dimensions to put our tv on and keep the wires and things out of DS' reach, but am still warming up to how it looks.

• Well, half my house is from Ikea, so I could really take my pick, but I think one of the things that's made the biggest difference is my Hajdeby wardrobe (don't bother looking it up, it doesn't exist anymore - in fact, it was on super clearance when I got it). It's a stand-alone wardrobe and fits perfectly in a nook next to my closet. Our house is extremely low on closet space, so adding this doubled my clothes storage!

28 years baby free!

[My Bio] [LolaBlog]
  • myst33myst33 member

Our billy bookcases.  It's the 1st thing people notice when they walk in our home.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a Hemnes dresser we've been very happy with.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image myst33:

Our billy bookcases.  It's the 1st thing people notice when they walk in our home.

LOVE it!

• I love love love the coffee table and tv stand we have in the living room. More pics in blog.

Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • Ooops. I posted as my sis since she was the last one to use this computer. The living room and post above are mine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LR curtains.  I think they make the room interesting, and were only $60 per pair.

• I got this Liatorp buffet, and it's a really nice, solid piece of furniture.  We have it in our bedroom with the t.v. on it, but I think if I had my way I would put one in every room -- the kitchen, the dining room, the living room...  It's just such a versatile piece of furniture.  And even better, I got it off craigslist so I didn't even pay full IKEA price.  :-)

• Ours are the Faeglbo and Manstad sectional sleeper sofas! They are so functional for our 3rd floor walk up beach condo since the break down into pieces. Which is the only way we'd be able to get a bigger sofa up there. The sleeper part is great as well, huge with no uncomfortable bars or springs digging in your back. Plus, it has great storage underneath.
  • image amberlynned:

I love love love the coffee table and tv stand we have in the living room. More pics in blog.

I love that coffee table, but I don't see it on IKEA's website.  Do you know what it was called? 

• The Edland 3 drawer dresser, it's a cool grey color, with neat knobs:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20185578
  • I second the expedit shelf.   love the baskets you can buy that fit in the cubbies to organize everything!
  • our seagrass dining chairs and our Ekeskog slipcovered sofa. neither of which is available anymore.
  • image mathgal1025:
    image dr.girlfriend:
    image amberlynned:

I love love love the coffee table and tv stand we have in the living room. More pics in blog.

I love that coffee table, but I don't see it on IKEA's website.  Do you know what it was called? 

I believe its the Liatorp line.  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50087072

Yep it's Liatorp. And we found it on craiglist for 1/2 the price! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have a headboard that we love image
  • the babies also have the mammut cribs and we love those, too

• Our Billy bookcases for sure (not as cute as myst's!).  So reasonable too.

The biggest thing by far has been the fabrics though.  We've used IKEA fabrics in almost every room in the house and it's really changed our look.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Our kitchen cabinets!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love your kitchen!
  • Do you have more pics of your house???

image MsAlyss:

Our kitchen cabinets!

• tmkdtmkd member
    Fifth Anniversary

This 6 foot "Lack" shelf (for about $29) is the BEST thing I've ever bought for my new home. It was cheap and completely changed the look of this room. I don't have a fireplace and i feel like it made the wall special and gave me a chance to decorate with items besides just framed art, etc.

•  There are a bunch in my old bio - http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=Makena

ETA: Or not!  It looks like photobucket deleted my account :(

image karagirly:

Do you have more pics of your house???

image MsAlyss:

Our kitchen cabinets!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker