Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Any Marine JAG wives?

My boyfriend is a law student, and a 2nd Lt in the USMC.  When he graduates, he'll be a Judge Advocate.  I've spoken to USMC soldiers and their wives, I've spoken to JAG Officers and their wives from other branches, but I have yet to meet a Marine JAG wife.  And I know it's different than other MOS in the Marines, and it's different than JAG from other branches.

We're planning to get married in 2012 right after he takes the bar exam and before he reports for TBS... if there's anyone who has been through this, I would love to hear what to expect!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Any Marine JAG wives?

• I am a former Marine and the spouse of one.  I don't have experience with JAG, though.  I just wanted to point out that Marines hate being called soldiers, so please just say "Marine" in the future. 

If you have any questions regarding the Marine Corps outside of JAG, I would be happy to answer them.

• Sorry, still getting used to this!  It's a whole new vocabulary... I've gotten to the point now whenever I see "Marine" without a capital "M" it makes me grind my teeth.  I'm definitely learning, but I'm sure it'll take time!

I'd love your perspective - I'm sure it's different for you as a joint military household, but would you have any advice for someone looking at starting a life as a spouse of a Marine?  Right now I'm just dealing with living with him as a full-time law student, which has its own challenges, but I'm curious about how the Marines will impact our lives and our future family. Any advice on handling my own career during the various moves, keeping connected with family, having and raising children?

• image catemeg:

Sorry, still getting used to this!  It's a whole new vocabulary... I've gotten to the point now whenever I see "Marine" without a capital "M" it makes me grind my teeth.  I'm definitely learning, but I'm sure it'll take time!

I'd love your perspective - I'm sure it's different for you as a joint military household, but would you have any advice for someone looking at starting a life as a spouse of a Marine?  Right now I'm just dealing with living with him as a full-time law student, which has its own challenges, but I'm curious about how the Marines will impact our lives and our future family. Any advice on handling my own career during the various moves, keeping connected with family, having and raising children?

Those questions can be asked through out the whole military, not just the Marines.

• I'm leaving the house to run some errands, but I will definitely respond to your post when I get back home. :)
  • I have nothing really to add, I just wanted to post in here because being a JAG in either the Navy or the Marines was the entire reason I even went to law school. Oh, unfulfilled dreams.
  • image catemeg:

Sorry, still getting used to this!  It's a whole new vocabulary... I've gotten to the point now whenever I see "Marine" without a capital "M" it makes me grind my teeth.  I'm definitely learning, but I'm sure it'll take time!

Sorry, I don't have a lot of time to write a response since I should be doing homework, but I'll do the best I can.  I think the best way to get a feel for these things is to hang around on this board and see what topics come up on a daily basis.

Starting out as the spouse of a Marine can be quite a culture shock if you are not used to it.  Take advantage of the multitute of programs and resources offered for spouses, meet other spouses at his unit/base.  MCCS hosts many of these programs and you can pull up its website from a quick internet search.

You mentioned that you're in law school.  I don't know what type of law you plan to practice, but I imagine that frequent moves might limit your ability to move upward in your career.  You really need to be flexible and have a back-up plan since things rarely work out the way you expect.

I am a heavy user of the internet to keep in touch with my family and I talk on the phone with them regularly.  If you end up overseas, having a VOIP phone or Skype can really help.  Plan trips home, but try to make the Marine Corps (and wherever it sends you) feel like your home as well.

I know many young military families that have children (I do not) and they seem to handle it fine.  Moves can be stressful, especially when one spouse is handling it alone while the other is deployed or training.  The Marine Corps is a small community and the chance of you running into people you know is very high after a while, so that helps.

Good luck! 

• Thanks for the input ladies!

I'm not in law school, my boyfriend is the future lawyer and thus JAG Officer.  I definitely have made plans to keep my career flexible, and keeping in mind that plans don't always work out even if you're not attached to the military lifestyle.  And I've lived overseas by myself before so I'm quite familiar and friendly with Skype.

To the poster who said I could ask someone from any branch - to an extent that's true, and I'd love your answer to those questions.  But I always would like to speak to someone who has experience with this specific specialty.  I have spoken with a number of people in the service from a variety of branches and a number of military wives, but I'd love to talk to a Marine JAG wife specifically because I know it is a unique experience.  Even my boyfriend's OSO knows very little about what to expect from Marine JAG except to tell us it's different than any other Marine and different than any other JAG in a different branch.

• I know that this thread was started a while back, but I was wondering if you ended up finding any information or can share any yourself? My husband and I are just starting this journey, he being the Marine JAG Candidate and I am not able to find much information on my own. Any help would be so very appreciated, thank you in advance!